THEY GAVE MY JOB AWAY WHEN I WAS ON DISABILITY!!!! NOW WHAT?

cookie5
cookie5 Member Posts: 2
I was to have one more surgery, now I am afraid to leave again. They demoted me, and I have been at the same job for over 5 years with new employer and over 12 years with employer before her. I am crushed, pissed and feel like I am being punished for being sick.

I want to find a new job, with someone who will allow me to fully utilize my skills and who can be trusted to support me when I need to have surgeries. Is that too much to ask?

The cancer didn't kill me, but this discrimination might!

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    This sucks...
    I know very little about disability but I believe they have to hold, not necessarily the job you had, but A JOB...you definitely need to look into this, perhaps with the help of an attorney...in this economy it might be best to hang onto what you have, especially if you carry your health insurance with this particular employer...it's not enough to have gone through all that you have but for them to kick you while you're down, sucks!....but you've proven how tough you are by what you've endured so this isn't going to kill you! We're stronger than we ever knew!

Wishing you better days...
  • Corinna11
    Corinna11 Member Posts: 75
    MAJW said:

This sucks...
    I know very little about disability but I believe they have to hold, not necessarily the job you had, but A JOB...you definitely need to look into this, perhaps with the help of an attorney...in this economy it might be best to hang onto what you have, especially if you carry your health insurance with this particular employer...it's not enough to have gone through all that you have but for them to kick you while you're down, sucks!....but you've proven how tough you are by what you've endured so this isn't going to kill you! We're stronger than we ever knew!

Wishing you better days...

I agree. Check out the
    I agree. Check out the situation with an attorney. You have rights and I dont think this is legal unless there were other circumstances involved. I was between jobs, NO insurance for me or husband, NO disability and now on chemo. Glad I'm not working but it sucks in the money debt. Hope you get this straightened out! This too shall pass. :)
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    there are laws....check with
    there are laws....check with local cancer center..I did they gave me info of local FREE help (since Breast cancer) I contacted them just in case I needed it...thankfully I DID NOT need them. But while I was out on 6 wk medical leave the did away with my job. They transfered me to different building but same title.

I think it is illegal to demote, I THOUGHT they must keep a job equal to yours. It does not have to be in same location etc...I WOULD CONTACT legal help...asap...

good luck

Denise
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

there are laws....check with
    there are laws....check with local cancer center..I did they gave me info of local FREE help (since Breast cancer) I contacted them just in case I needed it...thankfully I DID NOT need them. But while I was out on 6 wk medical leave the did away with my job. They transfered me to different building but same title.

I think it is illegal to demote, I THOUGHT they must keep a job equal to yours. It does not have to be in same location etc...I WOULD CONTACT legal help...asap...

good luck

Denise

I would contact the labor board in your State.... I would
    also contact American Cancer Society -- help line, and see what information is available to all cancer patients.

Please continue to call, hit the pavement, write letters until this issue is resolved -- or you get a new position elsewhere.

You may want to start a journal on email chronicling dates and details leading up to this point.

Just my humble suggestion.

Best of Luck.

Vicki Sam
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Contact the labor board or an attorney
    Find out if they are within their rights! You are right this is so unfair but once you know your rights then you can do what you need to do to make it right!

I am so sorry that you have to go through this on top of the cancer and surgeries, but I do know that an employer will try and get away with whatever they can until challenged.

Stand up and fight!

~Carol
  • dmdudra
    dmdudra Member Posts: 50
    gave you job away
    I agree with some others on here... they have to hold your job for I believe 3 months and then offer you one close to or at least with the company that you worked for... also I would see an attorney ASAP.... hope things work out... D
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Another resource for you to
    Another resource for you to try...the cancer legal resource center. Their website is canceradvocacy.org. If you call them, 866-the-clrc, you can speak with someone who can advise you.

I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    VickiSam said:

I would contact the labor board in your State.... I would
    also contact American Cancer Society -- help line, and see what information is available to all cancer patients.

Please continue to call, hit the pavement, write letters until this issue is resolved -- or you get a new position elsewhere.

You may want to start a journal on email chronicling dates and details leading up to this point.

Just my humble suggestion.

Best of Luck.

Vicki Sam

I can't add much to what has
    I can't add much to what has already been written. I pray you will get some help!
  • cookie5
    cookie5 Member Posts: 2
    They demoted me, and gave my job away!
    Thank you for all of your support and comments. I sought the help of an attorney, and will be filing complaints in my state (Ca) and federal level. I have been trying to get them to tell me why they demoted me, but they are skirting the issue completely and they said they "expect a positive attitude from day one" upon my return this next Monday. This is a small private business, and there is no other job site to go to. They are not accommodating me at all, but I will continue to work there as I am a single Mom and have no choice not to work. I will smile even though I have a "sharp stick in my eye."

I am thankful for my loving family, friends, and others who have stepped up to support me through this challenging time, therefore I will do my best to continue with a positive attitude. I will do what it takes....possibly to help the next person who comes along and finds themselves in the same situation as me.

Hugs and prayers to all
  • sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    Get a lawyer
    There is such a thing as Disability rights..you need a lawyer, and you need one now....Sinee