One year ago today...

Options
Gabe N Abby Mom
Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
I saw my doctor for some unusual swelling in my armpit. He sent me for an immediate mammo and ultrasound, the radiologist came in and said "I'm 99% sure it's cancer". So the roller coaster ride begins.

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel today about this. It's not something to celebrate for sure, but the memories and feelings of a year ago are crystal clear. What I do know is that I don't want to spend the day re-living Aug 3, 2010...as I write this comes the realization (again) that I have the gift of today. And I get to choose what I do with it...today I choose joy.

I also choose to keep all of you close today. Thank you for helping me make it through this last year.

Hugs,

Linda

Comments

  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    I love your attitude!
    I try to see each day as a gift and look for the joy in it....sometimes it's kind of hard.

    Here's to 40 more years,

    Jennifer
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    to Joy!
    Also to the day when August 3 is just another day........

    Cindy
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    mamolady said:

    to Joy!
    Also to the day when August 3 is just another day........

    Cindy

    YEAH!
    EnJOY today to the fullest. As I constatnly have to remind my mother-in-law, not one of us on this earth ever knows what tomorrow may bring. FOr all of us here, one day brought breast cancer, but it just as easily could have been a car accident or something else. I've learned to live in the moment. Carpi Deum! (I don't think I spelled that right but you know what I mean.)
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    mamolady said:

    to Joy!
    Also to the day when August 3 is just another day........

    Cindy

    Linda .. KUDOS for stepping out of the past ...
    and stepping into your new life. Hard to describe to anyone not having to deal with cancer, or endure a journey of chemo/rad's, surgeries, reconstruction, set-backs .. loss of friends, heartache. Somehow we become stronger than we could of ever imagined, endure treatments we never thoughts we would survive .. We choose to enjoy each and everyday, smiling every chance we get .. and provide Support, Love and Courage to those around us. You are a SURVIVOR, my friend. So happy to know you.

    Lots of laughter, love and joy I wish for you and your family, in this new chapter of your life, Linda.

    Gentle hugs,

    Vicki Sam
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

    Linda .. KUDOS for stepping out of the past ...
    and stepping into your new life. Hard to describe to anyone not having to deal with cancer, or endure a journey of chemo/rad's, surgeries, reconstruction, set-backs .. loss of friends, heartache. Somehow we become stronger than we could of ever imagined, endure treatments we never thoughts we would survive .. We choose to enjoy each and everyday, smiling every chance we get .. and provide Support, Love and Courage to those around us. You are a SURVIVOR, my friend. So happy to know you.

    Lots of laughter, love and joy I wish for you and your family, in this new chapter of your life, Linda.

    Gentle hugs,

    Vicki Sam

    You're so right, Linda--every day is a gift
    I guess we don't celebrate a cancerversary for actually getting the cancer, but for being here and thriving a year later. I honestly choose not to remember those specific days. You are a wonderful example of a strong, courageous woman who has walked through hell and is here to tell the story.

    Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us.

    Hugs, Renee
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Linda,
    I think that what we

    Linda,
    I think that what we feel a year later or two or three or more on these dates is the celebration of beyond. We are beyond the original diagnosis, beyond or near to beyond treatment, beyond that dark moment when the words you have cancer changed our lives. Every day away from that moment is a step forward. At least for me that is how I feel. I think that Joy is the perfect way to feel today. So happy Joy Day.
    Stef
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options
    fauxma said:

    Linda,
    I think that what we

    Linda,
    I think that what we feel a year later or two or three or more on these dates is the celebration of beyond. We are beyond the original diagnosis, beyond or near to beyond treatment, beyond that dark moment when the words you have cancer changed our lives. Every day away from that moment is a step forward. At least for me that is how I feel. I think that Joy is the perfect way to feel today. So happy Joy Day.
    Stef

    Linda,
    One year later, I feel blessed to share this journey we call life together with you. Here's to many, many, many, many, many, many... more !!

    Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

    Linda,
    I think that what we

    Linda,
    I think that what we feel a year later or two or three or more on these dates is the celebration of beyond. We are beyond the original diagnosis, beyond or near to beyond treatment, beyond that dark moment when the words you have cancer changed our lives. Every day away from that moment is a step forward. At least for me that is how I feel. I think that Joy is the perfect way to feel today. So happy Joy Day.
    Stef

    It's ok to remember
    Dear Linda-

    I really think it's ok (even important) to remember that day, as long as we keep it as a memory and not continually relive it. You had a major life changing event one year ago. it changes you. For me, the only other event that had such an impact on my life was having children. I don't ever forget the day they were born, but I don't dwell on that pain either. Of course, children bring us joy but they also fill our lives with work and worry (forever I might add). I've actually found joy in having had cancer - primarly centered around meeting wonderful women like you.

    Here's to a full life of joyful days ahead.

    Love,
    Suzanne
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Love your joyful attitude.
    Love your joyful attitude. All we ever have is today no matter the circumstances. We also choose to keep you close. Hugs.
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I love your attitude. After
    I love your attitude. After all we have been through we have learned the hard way to enjoy every day. You are a beautiful person Linda, Your in my prayers. Take care darlin Kay,
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options

    It's ok to remember
    Dear Linda-

    I really think it's ok (even important) to remember that day, as long as we keep it as a memory and not continually relive it. You had a major life changing event one year ago. it changes you. For me, the only other event that had such an impact on my life was having children. I don't ever forget the day they were born, but I don't dwell on that pain either. Of course, children bring us joy but they also fill our lives with work and worry (forever I might add). I've actually found joy in having had cancer - primarly centered around meeting wonderful women like you.

    Here's to a full life of joyful days ahead.

    Love,
    Suzanne

    Linda, its okay to look back
    Linda, its okay to look back and remember that dark day when you heard those dreaded words and then realize how far you've come in the past year. I think none of us forgets that day either but its not as important as where we are now, and where we're going. You're attitude is great and its wonderful to be able to express the joy you find in each day. We're all part of a group of amazing women who are in various stages of handling what cancer has done to our lives. Take the good you find each day and enjoy it as much as you can. Raising my glass to finding joy in each of our lives.
  • rutzetta
    rutzetta Member Posts: 174
    Options
    My Heart is with you
    Hi Linda,
    when I joined this site I was so grateful to have read so many of your post. I felt like in some small way I knew you. I'm happy to see your joy's and attitude are the same as always, uplifting and full of brigthness. I will ride this roller coaster with you. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
    Constance
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    rutzetta said:

    My Heart is with you
    Hi Linda,
    when I joined this site I was so grateful to have read so many of your post. I felt like in some small way I knew you. I'm happy to see your joy's and attitude are the same as always, uplifting and full of brigthness. I will ride this roller coaster with you. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
    Constance

    Wonderful
    That you are choosing joy today! As I was reminded at my support group tonight, today is the day we have to enjoy! I am sure there are so many mixed emotions with the first year of diagnosis, treatment, emotional roller coaster....I so love your positive attitude and support on the board here!

    Laura
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Linda:
    Thinking of you..we

    Linda:

    Thinking of you..we all have certain dates that stick in our minds..MINE IS more the last day of radiation...my happy dance day..more so then the start of it all..I know what month but such a blurr...I know Aug it my 3 yr mark on tamoxifen! and only 2 more to go..

    Sending good thoughts your way..

    Denise
  • iluvmykids
    iluvmykids Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Joy it is!
    Wishing you many many more of these days!

    Eileen
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Linda
    none of us want to remember "the day" we were told. I love your attitude in wanting to share today with all of us. We like that :D
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

    Linda
    none of us want to remember "the day" we were told. I love your attitude in wanting to share today with all of us. We like that :D
    {{hugs}} Char

    Every day is a gift! Now
    Every day is a gift! Now just enjoy your life and congrats on having one year behind you!



    Sue :)