Hair regrowth

Options
Fayard
Fayard Member Posts: 438 Member
Hi,

I was wondering how many times you probably cut your hair before letting it grow.
Mine is growing, but it is very thin. It looks like chick's feathers.

I have shaved my head twice, since my hair started to regrow, and I am just about to do it again.

What have you guys done in regard to this?

Comments

• HellieC
    HellieC Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Mmmm - I guess we're all different
    I finished my chemo in mid January and hair started growing again by end Feb. It was very fine at first but quite evenly spread. Didn't shave it off - just let it "come through". Had my first cut - to get rid of all the fuzzy, wispy bits, at end of June. Now I have a good covering of quite strong, slightly wavy hair, although still very short. Will probably have another trim in 3-4 weeks, then start to let it grow a bit longer. But it sure is different to my original hair - which used to be fine and poker straight!
    Kindest regards
    Helen
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    Options
    Hair
    Chemo ended for me last day in July and I did take off my wig December 11th. My hair was baby fine and gray in color...yuckie! I endured without any coloring or cutting until the following February. At that time my stylist just trimmed it to one length and in time it was much thicker.

My suggestion, let it grow in and be patient until it thickens. But...if you can't take the look by all means, shave your head...whatever floats your boat!!

How long ago did treatments end?

Best to you,
    Jan
  • Fayard
    Options
    HellieC said:

Mmmm - I guess we're all different
    I finished my chemo in mid January and hair started growing again by end Feb. It was very fine at first but quite evenly spread. Didn't shave it off - just let it "come through". Had my first cut - to get rid of all the fuzzy, wispy bits, at end of June. Now I have a good covering of quite strong, slightly wavy hair, although still very short. Will probably have another trim in 3-4 weeks, then start to let it grow a bit longer. But it sure is different to my original hair - which used to be fine and poker straight!
    Kindest regards
    Helen

Helen
    I finished a couple of weeks ago. My hair is very short, but very fuzzy.
    I used to have long, dark, curly hair. I do not mind if it changes, as long as it comes back strong. I also noticed I have gaps in the front, unlike the hair growing in the back and sides which is even.

I have a friend who went through breast cancer treatment about 1 1/2 years ago, and her hair is down to almost her shoulders; however, she has gaps in the front like bold people do. I was wondering if this happens to everyone.

PS: I like your hair in the picture. My husband and I decided to play with my hair once it grows completely. One of my choices is to wear my hair like your in the picture.
  • Susanna23
    Susanna23 Member Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    jazzy1 said:

Hair
    Chemo ended for me last day in July and I did take off my wig December 11th. My hair was baby fine and gray in color...yuckie! I endured without any coloring or cutting until the following February. At that time my stylist just trimmed it to one length and in time it was much thicker.

My suggestion, let it grow in and be patient until it thickens. But...if you can't take the look by all means, shave your head...whatever floats your boat!!

How long ago did treatments end?

Best to you,
    Jan

my hair
    This is almost my favourite topic at the moment!
    My eyebrows and eyelashes have come back really well - possibly because I've been using a serum product for the last several weeks.
    My hair is about half inch in length but I still haven't looked at it! I had it cut really short late January, then the rest came out during my chemo which ended April 26. So I am still wearing my two (identical, alternating) wigs. I've got an agreement with my regular hairdresser that we will sort things out - I will call her in a few weeks when I am ready to reveal my hair. My fear is that it is gray or white - I have always coloured it dark - and I have never had short hair. But compared to trying to reduce the risk of recurrence (Jan, I had/have MMMT like you - follow your posts therefore - and I had adjuvant chemo -no evidence of disease to date) then I guess it is a small price to pay!
    Best to you all
    Susan
  • jazzy1
    Options
    Susanna23 said:

my hair
    This is almost my favourite topic at the moment!
    My eyebrows and eyelashes have come back really well - possibly because I've been using a serum product for the last several weeks.
    My hair is about half inch in length but I still haven't looked at it! I had it cut really short late January, then the rest came out during my chemo which ended April 26. So I am still wearing my two (identical, alternating) wigs. I've got an agreement with my regular hairdresser that we will sort things out - I will call her in a few weeks when I am ready to reveal my hair. My fear is that it is gray or white - I have always coloured it dark - and I have never had short hair. But compared to trying to reduce the risk of recurrence (Jan, I had/have MMMT like you - follow your posts therefore - and I had adjuvant chemo -no evidence of disease to date) then I guess it is a small price to pay!
    Best to you all
    Susan

Susan
    Yes we do have the same cancer. What stage? Mine is 3C.

I really, really tried to live with my natural coloring -- dark with silver high lights, but I couldn't. I always had it colored with light brown with blonde highlights. They say the darker the coloring, the more harsh. Now my coloring isn't semi-permanent yet. I've got to start looking for a less harsh and toxic hair coloring. Anyone have ideas?

When my hair first came in it was quite curly. I always had bone straight hair and it was a bit of time to get used to the curls. After a while I started with hair straightener and today it's back to very straight. Interesting how it changes in 2 years post treatments.

Congrats on NED!!!!

Jan
  • Rewriter
    Rewriter Member Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    jazzy1 said:

Susan

I really, really tried to live with my natural coloring -- dark with silver high lights, but I couldn't. I always had it colored with light brown with blonde highlights. They say the darker the coloring, the more harsh. Now my coloring isn't semi-permanent yet. I've got to start looking for a less harsh and toxic hair coloring. Anyone have ideas?

When my hair first came in it was quite curly. I always had bone straight hair and it was a bit of time to get used to the curls. After a while I started with hair straightener and today it's back to very straight. Interesting how it changes in 2 years post treatments.

Congrats on NED!!!!

Jan

First crop of post-treatment hair
    My hair grew back fairly quickly, but it was very curly. I've had stick straight hair my whole life, so the curls were a trip. Also, the hair was rather coarse; whereas my "normal" hair was soft. It took about a year for my hair to fully return to its pre-treatment state, but I enjoyed all the different stages. I now keep my hair really short; I never would have known that very short hair actually suits me.

Jill
  • Fayard
    Options
    jazzy1 said:

Susan

Congrats on NED!!!!

Jan

Jan and Susan
    For what I read in your posting, coloring your hair is not good for us because we had/have cancer?

My hair is growing almost all white, no that I care but my husband probably do.
    Can you explain a little about hair color?

Thank you
  • hopeful girl 1
    hopeful girl 1 Member Posts: 454
    Options
    Fayard said:

Jan and Susan
    For what I read in your posting, coloring your hair is not good for us because we had/have cancer?

Thank you

My hair
    My last chemo was Nov 2010 and my hair is still very short. I have had one trim so far back in May. It is really curly and goofy looking. Have some white or grey stragglers in there also.

I always wear wigs. Right now I am bummed as I need to order a couple more of my fave wig and it is on backorder with manufacturer until Oct! Whattsup with that? :)

Anyway, I do want to get my hair colored-I've had it done blonde for years-but it is coming in super dark.

I have been waiting because my skin and scalp have been so sensitive.

Peace and love to all!
  • HellieC
    HellieC Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Fayard said:

Helen
    I finished a couple of weeks ago. My hair is very short, but very fuzzy.
    I used to have long, dark, curly hair. I do not mind if it changes, as long as it comes back strong. I also noticed I have gaps in the front, unlike the hair growing in the back and sides which is even.

I have a friend who went through breast cancer treatment about 1 1/2 years ago, and her hair is down to almost her shoulders; however, she has gaps in the front like bold people do. I was wondering if this happens to everyone.

PS: I like your hair in the picture. My husband and I decided to play with my hair once it grows completely. One of my choices is to wear my hair like your in the picture.

Thank you
    Thank you for liking my hair! It is SO different from my old style, which was blonde and a sort of soft bob style. I must take another picture, because this one was taken in June and it has grown in a lot stronger since then. It is growing quite evenly, apart from the hairline at the nape of the neck, which is a bit finer and thinner. But it is completely grey!
    Like Jan, I am quite enjoying having hair of a different texture and with some wave, as it is novel for me, but I am still not sure about whether to leave it grey or not. I would prefer not to use any more chemicals etc., than necessary so I will probably try to persevere with the grey. Like Jan, I have realised that I can wear a short style, so I may keep it quite short for the foreseeable future - it certainly takes less time in the morning, although it has to be washed every day otherwise I look like a bottle brush! :-)
    Kindest wishes
    Helen
  • jazzy1
    Options
    Fayard said:

Jan and Susan

Thank you

Hair coloring~
    One of the most important facts that I learned about hair-dye that you all should be aware of, is that hair-dye companies are not obligated by law to test their products. They are not regulated for safety. They don't have guidelines for what amounts, and what they are allowed to put in the hair-dye, and if you want to protect yourself, you have to do your homework, and find the safest method to color your hair. The same holds true for beauty products, like wrinkle creams, and perfumes. There is a research company who is trying to petition the government to take a stand with these companies, and set guidelines and testing rules. If you want to sign the petition on the cosmetic database, you'll find it on their link below.

A sad fact about Hair Dye Brands.

400 out of 456 Hair-dye products that were tested for toxic chemicals are ranked as high hazard, which means they contain toxic ingredients linked to cancer, developmentive and reproductive toxicity, neurotoxicity, immunotoxicity, organ toxicity, not to mention allergies and irritation of the eyes, skin or lungs. As mentioned above, I will give you the link to my article detailing that, at the base of this article, so you can check out your hair-dye product, and see where it ranks on the safe list.

Another unknown fact about hair dye products----Believe it or not, brunette hair-dye is more toxic than blonde.

Here's the break down on hair dye colors and strengths----Semi-permanent and temporary hair colors have less toxic ingredients than permanent colors. Brunette colors are more toxic than blonde and red shades.

Pregnancy and Henna hair dye ---- Henna hair dye products are not recommended for pregnant women, or nursing mothers.

Go to www.ewg.org and read more information on cosmetics, facial products plus hair coloring which are loaded with ingredients that cause many diseases, one being cancer. I've not jumped away from my L'Oreal yet, as working on the facial products to switch to less harsh brand. Next will be the hair dye. One spot to look is Whole Foods, as I've seen some on their shelves, but then again, not everything in WF is less harsh or the best for us. Need to do our own research!!

Good luck ladies,
    Jan
  • Fayard
    Options
    jazzy1 said:

Hair coloring~
    One of the most important facts that I learned about hair-dye that you all should be aware of, is that hair-dye companies are not obligated by law to test their products. They are not regulated for safety. They don't have guidelines for what amounts, and what they are allowed to put in the hair-dye, and if you want to protect yourself, you have to do your homework, and find the safest method to color your hair. The same holds true for beauty products, like wrinkle creams, and perfumes. There is a research company who is trying to petition the government to take a stand with these companies, and set guidelines and testing rules. If you want to sign the petition on the cosmetic database, you'll find it on their link below.

400 out of 456 Hair-dye products that were tested for toxic chemicals are ranked as high hazard, which means they contain toxic ingredients linked to cancer, developmentive and reproductive toxicity, neurotoxicity, immunotoxicity, organ toxicity, not to mention allergies and irritation of the eyes, skin or lungs. As mentioned above, I will give you the link to my article detailing that, at the base of this article, so you can check out your hair-dye product, and see where it ranks on the safe list.

Another unknown fact about hair dye products----Believe it or not, brunette hair-dye is more toxic than blonde.

Here's the break down on hair dye colors and strengths----Semi-permanent and temporary hair colors have less toxic ingredients than permanent colors. Brunette colors are more toxic than blonde and red shades.

Pregnancy and Henna hair dye ---- Henna hair dye products are not recommended for pregnant women, or nursing mothers.

Go to www.ewg.org and read more information on cosmetics, facial products plus hair coloring which are loaded with ingredients that cause many diseases, one being cancer. I've not jumped away from my L'Oreal yet, as working on the facial products to switch to less harsh brand. Next will be the hair dye. One spot to look is Whole Foods, as I've seen some on their shelves, but then again, not everything in WF is less harsh or the best for us. Need to do our own research!!

Good luck ladies,
    Jan

Interesting
    Jan,

Thank you for the info. I knew that hair dyes were toxic, but not liked to cancer.
    I will be a while before I can dye my hair though; however, I am glad you brought it up now.
  • Susanna23
    Susanna23 Member Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    jazzy1 said:

Hair coloring~

Good luck ladies,
    Jan

hair colour
    Jan - in answer to your earlier question, I was diagnosed as stage Ia MMMT.
    Thank you very much for the info on hair dye - I will admit I already had concerns on this issue and I don't know how much my hairdresser knows about products so I will do my own research but your post is a great starting point. I had already started to avoid products with parabens - good source here is Neal's Yard Remedies.
    I go to Whole Foods a lot and noted last time that they do have a section on hair dye. So I could buy my own and my hairdresser will apply it. Still a way to go before I need to do that, I think!
    Best regards
    Susan
  • nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    Options
    shaving your hair
    Friend: I was so happy to see hair, I did not touch it. I am salt an pepper and I cut it really short. It is stunning. I had compliments all the time. Be carful with dyes. be well june
  • nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    Options
    Susanna23 said:

hair colour
    Jan - in answer to your earlier question, I was diagnosed as stage Ia MMMT.
    Thank you very much for the info on hair dye - I will admit I already had concerns on this issue and I don't know how much my hairdresser knows about products so I will do my own research but your post is a great starting point. I had already started to avoid products with parabens - good source here is Neal's Yard Remedies.
    I go to Whole Foods a lot and noted last time that they do have a section on hair dye. So I could buy my own and my hairdresser will apply it. Still a way to go before I need to do that, I think!
    Best regards
    Susan

I Susanna
    Hope all is well. I did nothing with my hair when it started to grow back. It came back salt and pepper and when i get a good short cut it looks stunning. I am 62 years and of course salt and pepper is not for everyone. Try a really good funky short cut before you do anything else. I get a lot of compliments for mine. I am still ned and last chemo was March 2010. Thanks to our great Creator Jehovah God.