When/how do the Doctorsd decide to remove the drain blub and feedinding tube?

Options
ham6789
ham6789 Member Posts: 29
Can anyone tell me the crit. the doctors use to remove drain blub and feeding tube?

Comments

• JimboC
    JimboC Member Posts: 264
    Options
    Hey Randy, I still have my
    Hey Randy, I still have my feeding tube since I am having post-op chemo. As for the JP bulb, they removed it on my final visit when they cleared me to leave Pittsburgh. You really learn to hate that thing don't you? ;)
  • sammy123
    sammy123 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    JimboC said:

Hey Randy, I still have my
    Hey Randy, I still have my feeding tube since I am having post-op chemo. As for the JP bulb, they removed it on my final visit when they cleared me to leave Pittsburgh. You really learn to hate that thing don't you? ;)

Hi Randy-
    They remove the

Hi Randy-

They remove the chest tube and JP (Jackson-Pratt) when the drainage is at a minimal and usually you have started to take some liquids in by mouth. Kind of like an insurance policy. The feeding tube can stay in to supplement if you are having some down days for appetite control. Good Luck Randy.
  • Joel C
    Joel C Member Posts: 174
    Options
    sammy123 said:

Hi Randy-
    They remove the

Hi Randy-

They remove the chest tube and JP (Jackson-Pratt) when the drainage is at a minimal and usually you have started to take some liquids in by mouth. Kind of like an insurance policy. The feeding tube can stay in to supplement if you are having some down days for appetite control. Good Luck Randy.

Hi Randy,
    They pulled my JP blub when the drainage stopped. In my case it was day five and the big chest tube came out on day six on day seven they removed the NG tube, they should call that one the NFG tube instead. After seven days the NG tube was really starting to get to me. Day eight was the swallow test (upper GI) and out the door on day nine. My feeding tube came out on my second follow up post surgery at exactly five weeks. I told my surgeon I hadn’t used the feeding tube in over two weeks and out it came.

Hang in there,
    Joel