Chest exercises and mastectomy

Options
maston1
maston1 Member Posts: 3
Two and half years ago I had a right mastectomy Chemo rad and was told at that time and one year later by my plastic surgeon that I should not do any chest specific exercises. I have been trying to find out online periodically if this means NEVER being able to do chest specific exer. (plastic surgeon said never). At the one year mark when I asked the plastic surgeon about chest exer. I asked about other upper body that may include the chest. He said that was fine ie shoulders but not isolated chest.

So here's my question....can I do light isolated chest? Perhaps a light chest press, incline chest press? I'm amazed that there doesn't seem to be ANY info on this subject online (I try to google it but usually only get stretching after surgery).

Comments

• mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    mastectomy and radiation
    I was never told not to exercise the chest. I had bilateral mast (radical on the right, simple on the left) and rads on the right. Did they take any part of the peck muscle? That may have some thing to do with it. It would be better to have the doctors ok though.

Post when you get more information, I would be very interested either way.

Cindy
  • maston1
    maston1 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    mamolady said:

mastectomy and radiation
    I was never told not to exercise the chest. I had bilateral mast (radical on the right, simple on the left) and rads on the right. Did they take any part of the peck muscle? That may have some thing to do with it. It would be better to have the doctors ok though.

Cindy

Hi cindy,
    Thanks for the

Hi cindy,

Thanks for the info. I don't think any pect was removed only the breast. But I did have reconstructive surgery at the same time as removal of the breast. I'll have to ask my plastic surgeon to be sure.

I recently have been going back to the gym and strength training (gained 40 pounds after Chemo - menopause from Chemo) to get back into shape - tone and lose weight.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    mamolady said:

mastectomy and radiation

Cindy

I had a lumpectomy with
    I had a lumpectomy with rads, but, thought that maybe others can post some info for you.

Hugs, Megan
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options
    Megan M said:

I had a lumpectomy with
    I had a lumpectomy with rads, but, thought that maybe others can post some info for you.

Hugs, Megan

Hi,
    I'm with Cindy, I had a double mastectomy and I am still sporting my tissue expanders. None of my doctors discouraged exercise, in fact my Mo stressed upon making weight bearing exercise a part of my routine. Is there a reason why you feel the need to focus on the chest muscle area to work out? I mean with an implant in place it isn't going to get much firmer. I would say go for an all over routine using your chest muscles for aiding other muscles in performing a contraction and maybe stay away from those that focus entirely on isolating the pectoral muscle. If it's weight loss you're trying to achieve, aerobic is the best form of exercise.

Good Luck,
    Lorrie