Important! Please help Connie start eating?

Options
2»

Comments

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options

Hi Hondo, I hope your health
    Hi Hondo, I hope your health is getting better. I know you have been through so much yet you help everyone here in one way or another. Sometimes just a word of encouragement means a lot to someone seeking advice. I hope that you are able to open your mouth wider and get the dental work you need. I haven't really read whether the device was working, hopefully so. Also I read your posts recently that you were going to Honduras for treatment and vacation and I hope the treatments there were beneficial and everyone needs a vacation once in a while. I assure you I don't force anything on Connie but do try to encourage her in a positive way. I appreciate all the advice you have given both of us and will continue to ask questions as cancer continues to be the biggest challenge we have faced in 27 years of marriage. I want you to know that I have always believed in God but I have become closer to him recently and pray often now. Take care, Homer & Connie

Hi Homer
    I just got back last week from Honduras, this time I did not go swimming because my wife was with me and made sure I did not do what all most killed me last year because of infection in my left ear. lol . Yes I did a little treatment while there along with the fresh air and beautiful environment all around me it just made for a very health condition. I will try and post some pictures later so if anyone wants to see them they can go to my expressions page a view them. You are right somehow going through all this stuff for so many years has just got me so much closer to my Lord and savior and friend Jesus.

PS: This August will make 37 years with my caregiver and I love her more now than ever for all that she has done for me.. God bless all Caregivers

All the best to you both
    Hondo
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Caregivers
    Lelia, I appreciate your posts to Connie and I. As you know this site is such a big help to caregivers like ourselves. I don't know what I would have done without all the advice from the experts here. Doctors know the treatments and protocol but they really don't know how it feels to receive chemo/radiation. I have tried to learn as much as possible as I want to help Connie get well but I have never received radiation or chemo either. I too have lost weight as Connie has always prepared our meals and since she has been going through treatments etc. she just wasn't able to cook and certain smells of food would give her nausea. I lived on frozen dinners for 6 months and normally we would go out to restaurants often but I just never felt like eating out if she could not be there or only be there to watch. I have noticed that I have gained weight in some areas and lost weight in others. I hope you too are doing ok as the caregiver does suffer physically, mentally and emotionally. However we have to remain strong for our spouses so they can focus on getting well. I have met so many good people on this site and I am priviledged to know you too. Stay Strong, Homer & Connie

Homer, I have had the
    Homer, I have had the opposite problem from you. I eat fast food and crave sweets since Jim can't eat or smell cooking. I pray that the nausea goes away for him quickly so I can get back to healthy eatting as he worries about my health when I eat bad. I am a stress eater as well so that doesn't help. I am praying that Connie gets strong and you can be strengthened as well.

Debbie
  • connieprice1
    connieprice1 Member Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    jim and i said:

Homer, I have had the
    Homer, I have had the opposite problem from you. I eat fast food and crave sweets since Jim can't eat or smell cooking. I pray that the nausea goes away for him quickly so I can get back to healthy eatting as he worries about my health when I eat bad. I am a stress eater as well so that doesn't help. I am praying that Connie gets strong and you can be strengthened as well.

Debbie

I just wanted to thank
    I just wanted to thank everyone for all their inspiring posts. Their's no place like this place!!! Thanks, Homer & Connie
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options

I just wanted to thank
    I just wanted to thank everyone for all their inspiring posts. Their's no place like this place!!! Thanks, Homer & Connie

Hi Homer
    I agree just wish I would have found CSN sooner when I was going through treatment for NPC, I needed information then and all I had was my doctor who did not like to say too much.

But like many here I made it
    Hondo
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    WEIGHT GAIN
    Hi Homer, the others have said basically what I would have said. I lost 77 Lbs during treatment, and struggled with the PEG tube as I am one of those "go big or go home types."

If the nutritionist said one can of nutrition at a time, i did two and then promptly threw up everything. I finally wised up and listened to her, but I also added very small extras over and above what she said. I think the key is to eat even when you do not want to and when you think you cannot drinl one more glass of water, drink one more glass of water. I am nine months post treatment and now must watch my caloric intake as my metabloism has returned to pre cancer levels. (very slow) it doe not take much for mt to gain weight now, even after returning to the gym 4-5 days per week.

In short, she must keep pushing forward with the nutrition intake, even on bad days when the last thing she wants to do is eat, but it will get better with time.

Hang in there, you seem like you are taking excellent care of her.

Best!!

Mike