2»

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    CAchick said:

Wig fun
    Hi Sue,
    I am not good with scarves, but I had lots of fun with wigs and hats after the initial trauma wore off. I have red hair, so I bought two wigs with red hair. Then, I bought one that was blond. And, I had several fashionable hats. Luckily, my chemo was in the fall-winter time. So, my head didn't get really hot...
    And, my hubs was so funny...He told me that the bald lady "Veger" on one of the Star Trek movies was absolutely gorgeous, and he knew I would be too!

Bless you as you explore your options...And get a whole new look!
    Sybil

You be proud! Look at all
    You be proud! Look at all you have endured!

Hugs, Jan
  • pinkpalette
    pinkpalette Member Posts: 112
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Sue
    that's a good attitude to have. Remember, your hair will grow back. I have to update my photo but I'm waiting til September when I will have it back to brown :D I'm almost 8 months out from chemo. My hair is still very curly and very white/gray. I've been coloring it for more than 20 years. I'm meeting east coast pink sisters in October. Since I don't work I didn't get a wig. I wore many hats.
    {{hugs}} Char

my hair is going bye bye now too.....
    I'm going for chemo cycle #2 tomorrow and the hair is really starting to go. It didn't start on the 13th and I was temporarily hopeful that it wasn't going to happen....yeah... NOT!!! If I run my hands thru my hair, at least 20+ hairs come out in my fingers. My scalp is also itchy and tender. I can see it is really thinning. I was going to get a pixie doo last week and didn't and I regret it now. My husband is ready to buzz it off when needed. I'm sporting a pink baseball cap now. Those websites the pink sisters posted above are really helpful. I intend to check them out.

It is so empowering to read the positive replies. It makes me feel better and prouder to be a survivor!

hugs all,
    Debbie
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    Options

my hair is going bye bye now too.....
    I'm going for chemo cycle #2 tomorrow and the hair is really starting to go. It didn't start on the 13th and I was temporarily hopeful that it wasn't going to happen....yeah... NOT!!! If I run my hands thru my hair, at least 20+ hairs come out in my fingers. My scalp is also itchy and tender. I can see it is really thinning. I was going to get a pixie doo last week and didn't and I regret it now. My husband is ready to buzz it off when needed. I'm sporting a pink baseball cap now. Those websites the pink sisters posted above are really helpful. I intend to check them out.

It is so empowering to read the positive replies. It makes me feel better and prouder to be a survivor!

hugs all,
    Debbie

Hair today... Gone Tomorrow...
    Yes... loosing my hair was/is a biggie. I was scheduled for 6 rounds of chemo, however, because of my low white blood count, I was only able to do 3 rounds of chemo before taking a 3 month break from chemo and have surgery. Long story short... I lost my hair after the 2nd round of chemo and had it cut down really low. It was GREAT. I wore cute wigs and scarves most of the time. During my break from chemo, my hair began to grow back... I loved it... bought big earrings and new confident attitude at the same time. I received lots of compliments with my new short salt and pepper hair. Loved it!!! Well... I'm back in chemo for my last 3 rounds... I've completed 2 rounds and alas... my hair is falling out AGAIN. What a bummer!!! I was getting so used to my new look. BUT, since going through the first phase of chemo, I know my hair grows back quickly... I'll have hair again by the holidays.

Sooo... I'm back to scarves, hats, and wigs. But this time... I'm going to continue wearing all of my big earrings. ;0)

Have Fun with your scarves, hats, wigs, jewelery and a confident attitude. This, too, is a phase that will pass... We are Not defined by our hair.

Big hugs~
    Mitzi ;0)
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Mitzi333 said:

Hair today... Gone Tomorrow...
    Yes... loosing my hair was/is a biggie. I was scheduled for 6 rounds of chemo, however, because of my low white blood count, I was only able to do 3 rounds of chemo before taking a 3 month break from chemo and have surgery. Long story short... I lost my hair after the 2nd round of chemo and had it cut down really low. It was GREAT. I wore cute wigs and scarves most of the time. During my break from chemo, my hair began to grow back... I loved it... bought big earrings and new confident attitude at the same time. I received lots of compliments with my new short salt and pepper hair. Loved it!!! Well... I'm back in chemo for my last 3 rounds... I've completed 2 rounds and alas... my hair is falling out AGAIN. What a bummer!!! I was getting so used to my new look. BUT, since going through the first phase of chemo, I know my hair grows back quickly... I'll have hair again by the holidays.

Sooo... I'm back to scarves, hats, and wigs. But this time... I'm going to continue wearing all of my big earrings. ;0)

Have Fun with your scarves, hats, wigs, jewelery and a confident attitude. This, too, is a phase that will pass... We are Not defined by our hair.

Big hugs~
    Mitzi ;0)

Hats etc. from TLC
    which is Am. Cancer SOc. They have some really cute ones that aren't really expensive. I also visited Kohls and WalMart sales and picked up some cute stuff there as well. Someone also told me about cotton jersy knit. If you buy a yard you get 2 wraps from it when you cut it in half. I found some fun prints and did just that. You then fold it like a bandanna and knot the triangle point in the knot and tuck inthe ends. I did that a lot last summer - cool, soft, and protected my scalp. I found mine at Hobby Lobby but any fabric or craft store that carries knits should be able to help.
  • SueRelays
    SueRelays Member Posts: 485
    Options
    skipper54 said:

Hats etc. from TLC
    which is Am. Cancer SOc. They have some really cute ones that aren't really expensive. I also visited Kohls and WalMart sales and picked up some cute stuff there as well. Someone also told me about cotton jersy knit. If you buy a yard you get 2 wraps from it when you cut it in half. I found some fun prints and did just that. You then fold it like a bandanna and knot the triangle point in the knot and tuck inthe ends. I did that a lot last summer - cool, soft, and protected my scalp. I found mine at Hobby Lobby but any fabric or craft store that carries knits should be able to help.

Well last night I took the
    Well last night I took the scissors to my head and cut it all super short. Figured that would help with all the hair falling all over me. Couldn't quite bring myself to shave it yet....baby steps. Then like an idiot, I was walking back in the house with this big mirror, admiring my work HAHAHA, and didn't look where I was walking and tripped over a big rock and about broke my ankle!!!! Why is it that injuries like that are always done so foolishly. Never something exciting like water skiing, or mountain climbing lol!!

Love all your ideas ladies and support!! A couple of my friends said " I just see you in big earrings and scarves".....sounds like alot of you went that route. I have seen women who I thought were absolutely gorgeous bald....just not sure I'll be one of them :)....but my daughters bought me a super cute wig. The only one so far that doesn't feel like I have a rug on my head....and doesn't feel like a ton of hair. Since I work, I think it's a good choice for me for now. Maybe later on, as I get used to the baldness, I'll brave it bald!!! CCTIC you need to change your profile [pic, and give us all inspiration:)!!!

Thanks again ladies! You're all the best and I keep you all in my prayers!!!
  • fighting4five
    fighting4five Member Posts: 71
    Options
    SueRelays said:

Mine came after me with a
    Mine came after me with a vacuum this morning. I said "Seriously, you're going to vacuum me"? LOL...he said "well hon, it's easier"....UMMM...NO! I am not a rug!!!
    But he is constantly saying how cute I'll be bald.......not convinced, but sure appreciate everyones kind words!!!

When was your first chemo Mary? This is day 14 for me....and most on the board said day 14!!

I'm going to check out those pre tied scarves! I had a friend that is very creative and showed me how she tied them, but I'm just not good at it :(. Pre tied sounds wonderful :)!!

Today is day 7...Tomorrow I
    Today is day 7...Tomorrow I will go for my second treatment.

Eric wants to shave my head before it starts falling out. lol
    I think I am going to get the pre tied scarves myself. Going to try on wigs and pick one out this week too. I ordered one from online but it looks so different than the picture they had.It's just not me at all.

Always in my prayers
    Mary
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    SueRelays said:

Well last night I took the scissors to my head and cut it all super short. Figured that would help with all the hair falling all over me. Couldn't quite bring myself to shave it yet....baby steps. Then like an idiot, I was walking back in the house with this big mirror, admiring my work HAHAHA, and didn't look where I was walking and tripped over a big rock and about broke my ankle!!!! Why is it that injuries like that are always done so foolishly. Never something exciting like water skiing, or mountain climbing lol!!

Love all your ideas ladies and support!! A couple of my friends said " I just see you in big earrings and scarves".....sounds like alot of you went that route. I have seen women who I thought were absolutely gorgeous bald....just not sure I'll be one of them :)....but my daughters bought me a super cute wig. The only one so far that doesn't feel like I have a rug on my head....and doesn't feel like a ton of hair. Since I work, I think it's a good choice for me for now. Maybe later on, as I get used to the baldness, I'll brave it bald!!! CCTIC you need to change your profile [pic, and give us all inspiration:)!!!

You broke your ankle? So
    You broke your ankle? So sorry Sue.

I think you will look beautiful with a wig, scarf, bandana or nothing!

Lex
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    debi.18 said:

Thanks
    Sue, Thanks so much for providing us with all those wonderful sites. I've ordered from some of them and am checking out the rest of them now. Can I say again how glad I am found this board. I love you gals!!

I am hoping that the sites
    I am hoping that the sites will still be up and running and that they can help all of you. If I find more, I will post them too.

Sue :)
  • BMS
    BMS Member Posts: 127
    Options
    SueRelays said:

2 weeks
    It was 2 weeks to the day after my first chemo that mine starting falling out in clumps. I went with a neighbor and my hairdresser took me into a private back room and buzzed it off for me. When I went into the rest room to put on the wig, she had already cleaned up all of the hair! I wore a wig to work every day and then this past Spring wore hats. Now the hair is in enough to go topless!

Just remember, it's all of the hair that you will lose. I enjoyed not shaving my legs for 10 months (back to that again now), no bikini waxing needed for a while either! You even lose your nose hairs, so be prepared for a drippy nose sometimes.

But we all get through it with the help of each other. And make some great friends along the way!

Bonnie
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    SueRelays said:

How is your ankle Sue?
    How is your ankle Sue?

Hugs, Jan
  • Vigee
    Vigee Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Bald is Beautiful!
    As you can see by my photo, I definitely recommend shaving it! It is not so traumatic when it starts falling out a lot!

I was so scared to go out the first time bald even with a scarf on. But now I go out totally bald with nothing on! I feel very empowered and strong. If you look on my page under expressions you can see a self portrait I painted of myself that really states how this feels for me.

When you start losing your eyebrows and lashes (for me after round 5 of chemo) you might look in the mirror and not recognize yourself. For me that was a really hard moment. But, you will get used to it. I look forward to the day when I look in the mirror and will see me again.

That day will come for you too!

Sending you <3!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Vigee said:

Bald is Beautiful!
    As you can see by my photo, I definitely recommend shaving it! It is not so traumatic when it starts falling out a lot!

I was so scared to go out the first time bald even with a scarf on. But now I go out totally bald with nothing on! I feel very empowered and strong. If you look on my page under expressions you can see a self portrait I painted of myself that really states how this feels for me.

When you start losing your eyebrows and lashes (for me after round 5 of chemo) you might look in the mirror and not recognize yourself. For me that was a really hard moment. But, you will get used to it. I look forward to the day when I look in the mirror and will see me again.

That day will come for you too!

Sending you <3!</p>

Vigee, I really love what
    Vigee, I really love what you wrote. You will see yourself again!

Hugs, Megan