Teeth, Insurance and hyperbaric

Options
denistd
denistd Member Posts: 597
Several months ago my teeth started breaking off at the gum line (5 so far) my onc said I need them all out (I did Hyperbaric at the end of 2009 and had 4 teeth taken out)The insurance company (health insurance) really balked at having to pay for total extractions. They finally authorized the whole thing, HBO again, surgery (in hospital)now if I could only get them to pay for dentures (dream on huh)

Comments

• Jahnsart
    Jahnsart Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Is this common?
    Is it common for teeth to fall out? I haven't seen this discussed much...Did you have great teeth before treatment, or were they just ok? I am curious because I am a little nervous about this whole thing...
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    Jahnsart said:

Is this common?
    Is it common for teeth to fall out? I haven't seen this discussed much...Did you have great teeth before treatment, or were they just ok? I am curious because I am a little nervous about this whole thing...

teeth
    I had no teeth fall out, but did lose all the tops on them, so that now the tops of all my teeth are flat with brownish color, or very jagged from loss of tooth structure. Did have my Dentist rebuild the bottom of my top two front teeth, and two of the front bottom teeth, and they're doing pretty good. This is a matter that is cause for the Flouride Trays to be part of all H&N treatments where rads are applied to the mouth area. I also have had 1 root canal and 2 new Crowns since tx.

kcass
  • DrMary
    DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

teeth
    I had no teeth fall out, but did lose all the tops on them, so that now the tops of all my teeth are flat with brownish color, or very jagged from loss of tooth structure. Did have my Dentist rebuild the bottom of my top two front teeth, and two of the front bottom teeth, and they're doing pretty good. This is a matter that is cause for the Flouride Trays to be part of all H&N treatments where rads are applied to the mouth area. I also have had 1 root canal and 2 new Crowns since tx.

kcass

Agreed
    I know fluoride is a hot topic so I won't say anything other than experience: Doug did not have the greatest teeth (fillings in all of them and crowns on some) before treatment. He used the trays (dry) during radiation and did his fluoride in the trays regularly throughout and continues to do so. So far, (7+ months out) his teeth have passed inspection with the dentist.
  • Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    dentures
    Our dental plan paid $1800 of the $4K my husband's dentures cost. We were grateful for any help.

Jim had all teeth extracted prior to radiation (almost all had fillings, caps or crowns and were not in really great shape). Major medical covered this at the oral surgeon's office.
  • nwasen
    nwasen Member Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    teeth
    I am so sad to hear of your's and others problems with teeth. When my ENT found my cancer he alerted my dentist (they are buddies). I got a call the very next day from my dear dentist and went in that very day for heavy duty dose of fluoride. I was also given fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash. I had all teeth checked for cavities.
    I went back to my same dentist the week before treatments started and they found a tiny tiny cavity which was filled.
    I am lucky; radiation did not take my teeth thanks to my wonderful dentist. At the James in Columbus where I went for treatment, they were all very impressed with my dentist.
    So for any of you out there that are yet to start radiation: GET TO YOUR DENTIST!! And be sure they know the dangers of radiation for bad teeth.
    Peace
    Nancy aka toughcookie
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Jahnsart said:

Is this common?

Jahnsart
    If you look on the link that I posted to you, on the Gerd thread, the HNC Superthread, there is also a section about dental issues and radiation. Also a link or two in the side effects of radiation section. Anyone who is going to have radiation needs to go to a dentist, one that has experience treating HNC patients. I had a dentist on my tumor board. I had 7 teeth extracted (would have been 8, but one of my wisdom teeth was never there). Because of the probability of trismus for me, (problems opening your mouth wide enough after rads) they pulled mine, because you cannot brush back there. Out of the seven teeth only one of them, the one wisdom tooth was cracked. The rest of mine were fine.

I am having a terrible time with my teeth. I had them all filled. Because my mouth is so dry, (extreme xerostomia, not only from radiation, but because they took my left salivary gland when they did my neck dissection) my teeth are not protected with enough saliva. Even though I brush five times a day and use fluoride, I am still having issues.

Anyway, just one of the issues regarding radiation side effects and teeth. You can read more about it in the links I provided in the HNC Superthread. If you have radiation get you must go to a dentist that knows about treating radiated patients.

Edit: here is the link to the thread, so you don't have to go back to your post:

HNC  SUPERTHREAD