Now I'm really going back to work

Options
Gabe N Abby Mom
Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
Almost a year ago I decided to take a leave of absence so I could focus on my family and fighting this battle. At the time, I didn't think I could be there 100% for my customers, my team, or my company.

After a couple of months thinking I was going back to work anytime...it is really happening. Monday August 1st I will be back. I wish I could say I am excited about it, but truly I dread going back to work. The first few weeks will be training...I'm fine with that and see it as a helpful way to get back to a full time schedule. And I actually look forward to working with customers again...what I dread is the heavy heavy sales pressure, feeling like a cog in a giant wheel, and the frequent lack of human compassion and understanding. But after a year of living on disability insurance, it is financially necessary to work.

Even though I don't always comment, I come here daily and I read virtually every post. I will continue to do that, because I can't imagine getting through the last year without all of you.

Hugs,

Linda

Comments

• mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    Good Luck Linda
    I hope going back turns out to be easier than you're anticipating. I also hope that while you're working you may be able to find a job that will be more to you liking that will still pay the bills, something you'll be able to feel passionate about doing.

marge
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options

Good Luck Linda
    I hope going back turns out to be easier than you're anticipating. I also hope that while you're working you may be able to find a job that will be more to you liking that will still pay the bills, something you'll be able to feel passionate about doing.

marge

Hey Linda
    I know what you

Hey Linda
    I know what you mean. I'm a teacher and I'm dreading going back to school. Blaaaah
    Dee
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you have to
    I am sorry that you have to go back to a high pressure situation. I hate that for you. I know from reading your posts that you are a fine person and it just doesn't seem fair. Come and ventilate anytime. We love you Linda and try not to work too hard and delegate whenever you can!
  • Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I understand
    I was dreading going back to work as well. I didn't want to deal with the stress of my job, the questions, and sideways looks - all of it. In the end, though, I think it was one of the best things I did. It put some distance between me and bc and for that I was really grateful. My life became mine again and the bc started to fade into the past. It is still alive and well in my thoughts, but my daily work kept me from constantly thinking about it and gave me other things to talk about and do. I bet in a few weeks, you will be happy that you returned. I mean, don't get me wrong - a life of a "lady who lunches" would suit me just fine, but failing that (my bank account won't allow it), this is a decent alternative. lol!

Have courage, in no time at all it will feel as though you never left.

Clementine
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    Options

I understand
    I was dreading going back to work as well. I didn't want to deal with the stress of my job, the questions, and sideways looks - all of it. In the end, though, I think it was one of the best things I did. It put some distance between me and bc and for that I was really grateful. My life became mine again and the bc started to fade into the past. It is still alive and well in my thoughts, but my daily work kept me from constantly thinking about it and gave me other things to talk about and do. I bet in a few weeks, you will be happy that you returned. I mean, don't get me wrong - a life of a "lady who lunches" would suit me just fine, but failing that (my bank account won't allow it), this is a decent alternative. lol!

Have courage, in no time at all it will feel as though you never left.

Clementine

Linda... Well Wishes for going back to work!!!
    I know it's hard to get back into the grind... but you can do it. One task at a time. I plan to return to work late Sept, or Oct... I'm sure NOT looking forward to it. Cause it's tons of pressure and stress. However, I concluded when I do return, I plan to look at work differently and ONLY do what I can do and not try to tackle ALL of the problems. So think of your plan of attack... Remember It is all about you remaining Healthy and that STRESS Is Not our Friend.

Enjoy returning to Work with a healthier attitude. Get your game plan together... Buckle up and Enjoy the Ride.

Best Wishes!!!
    Mitzi ;0)
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Mitzi333 said:

Linda... Well Wishes for going back to work!!!
    I know it's hard to get back into the grind... but you can do it. One task at a time. I plan to return to work late Sept, or Oct... I'm sure NOT looking forward to it. Cause it's tons of pressure and stress. However, I concluded when I do return, I plan to look at work differently and ONLY do what I can do and not try to tackle ALL of the problems. So think of your plan of attack... Remember It is all about you remaining Healthy and that STRESS Is Not our Friend.

Enjoy returning to Work with a healthier attitude. Get your game plan together... Buckle up and Enjoy the Ride.

Best Wishes!!!
    Mitzi ;0)

Linda, I am excite and delirious happy for you ...
    I am worried about the high 'stress', pressure situation via sales, sales and sales. I have no doubt that you will again, thrive in your work place --- as well as getting back into the move and groove of it all.

Do you have specific break or lunch time -- so that you can take a stroll around the building, anything to alleviate or block the stress that accumulates during office hours.

Clementine posed her experience very well with the statement .. that getting back to work - made her life, hers again --- and breast cancer faded into the background -- NOT forgotten, just not taking center stage in her life. How 'apropo' ... fitting indeed for the next stage of your own personal journey.

Lots of love, luck and happiness, Miss Linda.

Vicki Sam
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Linda, I am excite and delirious happy for you ...
    I am worried about the high 'stress', pressure situation via sales, sales and sales. I have no doubt that you will again, thrive in your work place --- as well as getting back into the move and groove of it all.

Do you have specific break or lunch time -- so that you can take a stroll around the building, anything to alleviate or block the stress that accumulates during office hours.

Clementine posed her experience very well with the statement .. that getting back to work - made her life, hers again --- and breast cancer faded into the background -- NOT forgotten, just not taking center stage in her life. How 'apropo' ... fitting indeed for the next stage of your own personal journey.

Lots of love, luck and happiness, Miss Linda.

Vicki Sam

Your new normal
    Sometimes I think coming out of what we've all endured to our "new normal" doesn't feel as normal as it could. I hope being back at work will be a transition that works well for you. It has for me, but I don't have children at home. Working again for me makes me feel alive and distracts my little mind from going to that dark place too often.

I know you know stress is not a good thing, so be careful.

And yes, CC, Linda IS a fine person.

Suzanne
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Linda,
    Just the best

Linda,
    Just the best thoughts for your return to work. Be sure that you listen to your body and do what is best for you. I will keep you in my prayers that the transistion back to work will be smooth and uneventful.
    Stef
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

Hey Linda
    I know what you

Hey Linda
    I know what you mean. I'm a teacher and I'm dreading going back to school. Blaaaah
    Dee

Hoping that your going back
    Hoping that your going back to work will be easy on you and a good experience.

Hugs, Debby
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Linda,
    Do something really

Linda,
    Do something really fun this weekend. If you go back to work rejuvenated it will be a lot easier. This may be a good time to see if there is something else out there that you want to do. I finally have a job I enjoy and am really good at. It took 20 years to get here.
    All the best on monday!

Cindy
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Options
    I too took an extended period of time off work to focus on myself, my 3 small children, and family.

What help was easing back into work I started with only two days a week and then returned bald, with no eye lashes full time.

I found the worst was the first few weeks dealing with people (who I had not seen in 10 months) feel they need to says something to you but it usually was the wrong thing..

best of luck.. hell you faced the demon.. how bad can work be <3
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    :-/
    Oh Linda I'll be thinking of you come Monday morning and in the weeks to come. You are such a wonderful lady I hope getting back into your work routine turns out to be easier then you are anticipating!

BIG supportive HUGS!

RE
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Linda
    wish you well in returning to work on Monday. I believe you did a good thing by staying home and taking care of yourself and your family when you needed to focus on what you were all going through. Hope the transition back to work is a smooth one.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    e_hope said:

I too took an extended period of time off work to focus on myself, my 3 small children, and family.

What help was easing back into work I started with only two days a week and then returned bald, with no eye lashes full time.

I found the worst was the first few weeks dealing with people (who I had not seen in 10 months) feel they need to says something to you but it usually was the wrong thing..

best of luck.. hell you faced the demon.. how bad can work be <3</p>

Good luck on Monday
    Linda,
    Good luck. Please take care of yourself. I returned back to work 12 months ago after 2 years off. It was not an easy transition:physically and emotionally. I still cannot handle stressful situations. I agree with hoe, people who knew you before and aware of your illness will try to say something supportive and often stupid, prepare a couple jokes for them...
    Something like: "... Oh you look normal" or "you look even better than before..." we have to forgive them

As far as health, it has been challenging my lymphedema, especially at the meetings sitting for hours without movement... Hot flashes were not fun as well. I used to go to the restroom and take my clothes off to cool down, yeah !
    Please ask family and friends to help with cooking and work around the house.
    Your job will take you mind away from cancer and it is a very good thing to do.
    Hugs
    New Flower
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

Linda,
    Just the best

Linda,
    Just the best thoughts for your return to work. Be sure that you listen to your body and do what is best for you. I will keep you in my prayers that the transistion back to work will be smooth and uneventful.
    Stef

Hoping that you have a good
    Hoping that you have a good day tomorrow Linda!
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi Linda -- I went back to
    Hi Linda -- I went back to work last Thursday after being absent since April. It felt weird at first, but people were very warm which helps the situation. I understand why you would feel like not going back, but it helps to go back to life again. After being there for only a few hours, I started to feel a little more normal. I hope that your team, customers, Boss, among others would have a good level of compassion and understanding for your situation.

I do have one suggestion, don't try to be super-woman! Although you were away for some time, and you might feel great now, remember to take it easy at work. Also, it would be a good idea if things get crazy, before you try and doing it all, to have a chat with your Boss to explain that you need to slowly get back into the work habit (not in those words, but you know what I mean). It's best to explain ahead of time, than to try to do it all, make a mistake(s), and then be in trouble for it. I tend to do it all, but...things have changed. Always remember, YOU come first.

I want to wish you Good Luck tomorrow. I hope everyone welcomes you with hugs.
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Hi Linda -- I went back to
    Hi Linda -- I went back to work last Thursday after being absent since April. It felt weird at first, but people were very warm which helps the situation. I understand why you would feel like not going back, but it helps to go back to life again. After being there for only a few hours, I started to feel a little more normal. I hope that your team, customers, Boss, among others would have a good level of compassion and understanding for your situation.

I do have one suggestion, don't try to be super-woman! Although you were away for some time, and you might feel great now, remember to take it easy at work. Also, it would be a good idea if things get crazy, before you try and doing it all, to have a chat with your Boss to explain that you need to slowly get back into the work habit (not in those words, but you know what I mean). It's best to explain ahead of time, than to try to do it all, make a mistake(s), and then be in trouble for it. I tend to do it all, but...things have changed. Always remember, YOU come first.

I want to wish you Good Luck tomorrow. I hope everyone welcomes you with hugs.

Best Wishes for a Stress-Free Tomorrow
    Linda,

I hope tomorrow is a wonderful return to work for you. I struggled when I returned in January but as each day goes by things get more like 'normal'. You are a wonderful woman and you will do just fine. Remember to be kind to Linda, okay? We'll do lunch together again soon.

Chickadee
  • Ticky
    Ticky Member Posts: 117
    Options

Best Wishes for a Stress-Free Tomorrow
    Linda,

I hope tomorrow is a wonderful return to work for you. I struggled when I returned in January but as each day goes by things get more like 'normal'. You are a wonderful woman and you will do just fine. Remember to be kind to Linda, okay? We'll do lunch together again soon.

Chickadee

Back to work
    Good luck tomorrow. You will feel a lot better after the first day is behind you.

Hugs,

Ticky
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    How did it go?
    Linda, how did it go today? I have been wondering all day.

Cindy
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Linda
    wish you well in returning to work on Monday. I believe you did a good thing by staying home and taking care of yourself and your family when you needed to focus on what you were all going through. Hope the transition back to work is a smooth one.
    {{hugs}} Char

Hope you had a good day
    Hope you had a good day yesterday!