Dr. David Servan-Schreiber - may he RIP

upsofloating
upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
For those who haven't heard, sadly we have lost someone very special to many of us...

Author of "Anti-Cancer: A New Way of Life"

Obituary: Dr. David Servan-Schreiber Empowered Cancer Patients
http://www.cmu.edu/news/blog/2011/Summer/obituary-david-servan-schreiber.shtml

Comments

• Rewriter
    Rewriter Member Posts: 493 Member
    Very sad news
    I am so sorry to hear this news about Dr. David Servan-Schreiber. He certainly beat the odds himself, and I am deeply grateful for the knowledge he shared. Yes, may he RIP.
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    Rewriter said:

Very sad news
    I am so sorry to hear this news about Dr. David Servan-Schreiber. He certainly beat the odds himself, and I am deeply grateful for the knowledge he shared. Yes, may he RIP.

So sad!
    This man was an icon to us as cancer patients. He was fortunate to have lived an additional 15+ years from diagnosis. Did I read this was his 3rd recurrence?

I found this information a few weeks ago and posted, but at that time he was slipping. I've learned so much from him and know he has definitely made his mark on many of us. His book is almost like a Bible to me.

May he rest in peace~
    Jan
  • maggie_wilson
    maggie_wilson Member Posts: 596
    jazzy1 said:

So sad!
    This man was an icon to us as cancer patients. He was fortunate to have lived an additional 15+ years from diagnosis. Did I read this was his 3rd recurrence?

I found this information a few weeks ago and posted, but at that time he was slipping. I've learned so much from him and know he has definitely made his mark on many of us. His book is almost like a Bible to me.

May he rest in peace~
    Jan

what sad, sad news re: dr. david servan-schreiber
    i'm shocked and saddened by this news; he has helped, and will continue to help so many of us. may his memory be a blessing.

sisterhood,
    maggie
  • HellieC
    HellieC Member Posts: 524 Member
    A man who gave us so much
    I was desperately sad to hear the news.
    When cancer hits us, it unleashes a Pandora's box of bad things. His book was uplifting and positive and showed us that there are ways we can help ourselves - to help our minds and bodies to try to fight it. He reminded us that there was one thing was left when the box was opened - HOPE.
    He will be sadly missed.
    Helen
  • Songflower
    Songflower Member Posts: 608
    HellieC said:

A man who gave us so much
    I was desperately sad to hear the news.
    When cancer hits us, it unleashes a Pandora's box of bad things. His book was uplifting and positive and showed us that there are ways we can help ourselves - to help our minds and bodies to try to fight it. He reminded us that there was one thing was left when the box was opened - HOPE.
    He will be sadly missed.
    Helen

He Walked Forward through Great Adversity
    He walked forward while helping us. He had all the emotions we all have and all the difficult treatments. He believed in chemo and gave us another way to help ourselves too. Diane
  • california_artist
    california_artist Member Posts: 816 Member
    For a man with a truly helpful spirit
    I am so sad I barely know what to say. I do feel he gave me a great deal of strength and hope, along with an extra dose of courage to take the road seldom taken, in the most dire of circumstances. I always saw myself as someone striving to be at the longest possible end of the long tail of cancer survivors, or at least hanger oners. I would be quite happy with twenty or more years.

Let's raise a toast in his honor, those of us who looked to his way of life for guidance and a most hopeful spirit.

Claudia

I am posting the url of an obit, that goes into more of what a truly amazing person he was, not only on the cancer front, but as a guide to so many.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11208/1163253-122-0.stm?cmpid=localstate.xml

a small excerpt from the article

...In 1990, he became an ad-hoc reviewer in a number of academic journals before joining Doctors Without Borders in Kurdistan in the aftermath of the Gulf War. That volunteer position would take him to impoverished and war-torn areas throughout Europe and Eurasia over the next decade. He also would co-found the charity's U.S. chapter.
    During those years, he developed mental health approaches to dealing with children in shelters, then worked in Tajikistan to provide psychiatric services in rehabilitated state institutions. He also developed practice guidelines for post-traumatic stress disorder for the Clinical Guidelines field book for Doctors Without Borders' international networks, then provided psychological and psychiatric treatments for traumatic stress conditions in 1999 in Kosovo....
  • daisy366
    daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member

I am so sad I barely know what to say. I do feel he gave me a great deal of strength and hope, along with an extra dose of courage to take the road seldom taken, in the most dire of circumstances. I always saw myself as someone striving to be at the longest possible end of the long tail of cancer survivors, or at least hanger oners. I would be quite happy with twenty or more years.

Let's raise a toast in his honor, those of us who looked to his way of life for guidance and a most hopeful spirit.

Claudia

I am posting the url of an obit, that goes into more of what a truly amazing person he was, not only on the cancer front, but as a guide to so many.

...In 1990, he became an ad-hoc reviewer in a number of academic journals before joining Doctors Without Borders in Kurdistan in the aftermath of the Gulf War. That volunteer position would take him to impoverished and war-torn areas throughout Europe and Eurasia over the next decade. He also would co-found the charity's U.S. chapter.
    During those years, he developed mental health approaches to dealing with children in shelters, then worked in Tajikistan to provide psychiatric services in rehabilitated state institutions. He also developed practice guidelines for post-traumatic stress disorder for the Clinical Guidelines field book for Doctors Without Borders' international networks, then provided psychological and psychiatric treatments for traumatic stress conditions in 1999 in Kosovo....

what a role model
    Thanks for posting this info. It is sad to lose another to this illness. He was/is such a good role model. Cancer sure doesn't discriminate!!!!! May we all live the very best and fullest life we can.
  • kkstef
    kkstef Member Posts: 688 Member

Claudia

A Truly Great Man!
    It was with much sadness that I heard the news of Dr. Servan-Schreiber. I echo what so many of you said. He was such a pioneer in bringing integrative approaches to the forefront in the fight against cancer and in a way which no one had done to date. It was his own experience and curiosity that led him to search for answers to prevent or slowdown the devastating disease of cancer. He was able to put in ordinary words how the environment and lifestyle can help cancer cells thrive and suggest steps we can take to minimize the opportunity for those cells to flourish.

I learned so much from him and will continue to "re-read" his book. Having this resource is truly a wonderful gift from him!

Claudia, I join you and all the others in the toast you offered to Dr. Servan-Schriiber for his guidance and hopeful spirit!!

Karen
  • california_artist
    california_artist Member Posts: 816 Member
    Thank you, Karen
    We have been on this board for a while now, in no small part due to those things we not only learned about from David and others like him, but applied in our daily lives, in order that our quest to live longer and healthier lives would succeed.

Love to you my friend,

Claudia