Options
2»

Comments

• sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    DrMary said:

"You" don't become resistant
    the bacteria do, so you might have picked some up somewhere (rather than having your own native breed of resistant bacteria) from someone else who either has taken lots more antibiotics than you or taken them improperly (the first tends to lead to the second). What can happen is that someone will either not finish the full course of their antibiotic, or it might have been inaccurately prescribed. The few bacteria that might have been slightly resistant to that antibiotic then survive - if one of them gets together with another survivor (they do sometimes conjugate) or if one scoops up some loose DNA that will amplify the resistance gene, then you now have a more resistant strain. Do this a few more times and you have a really resistant strain. (This is why they are not OTC in many countries - the resistant bacteria can spread beyond the person who started them.)

The good news is that they are not resistant to everything - if you do have a resistant strain, then the doctor can determine the right antibiotic to kill it after taking a culture. However, it could also just be that it is not a bacterial infection - it could be viral or have another cause - hence no relief from antibiotics.

Thanks for the explanation.
    Thanks for the explanation. I am always careful to take my antibiotics exactly as prescribed. I never take anyone else's meds either.

Three more days until Monday, and I am just hoping it's nothing nefarious and it will be just tubes needing to be placed. I am so sore tonight and inside my left ear is bugging me and itchy in there. This is seriously driving me nuts.
  • palmyrafan
    palmyrafan Member Posts: 396
    Options

Thanks for the explanation. I am always careful to take my antibiotics exactly as prescribed. I never take anyone else's meds either.

Three more days until Monday, and I am just hoping it's nothing nefarious and it will be just tubes needing to be placed. I am so sore tonight and inside my left ear is bugging me and itchy in there. This is seriously driving me nuts.

Tubes & Ear Drops
    Sweet,

I re-read all the posts and unless I am so loopy I missed it, I didn't see any mention of ear drops. Have you tried those or talked to your doctor about them. My doctor tried me on 3 different types but due to the tubes in my ears being totally blocked by tumors and the glue ear, the drops didn't help.

If you haven't talked to your doctor yet, you might ask about the drops. A lot of people swear by them and say they do help.

I have also found that Bengay (Pain Relief & Massage) works well for me when my ears start hurting. I rub in on the bone directly behind my ear and it helps to relieve the ear pain and the headache I always get with the ear pain. Again, not for everyone, but when you have the earaches like you are getting, I know I will try anything.

Good luck!

Blessings,
    Teresa
  • sweetblood22
    Options

Tubes & Ear Drops
    Sweet,

I re-read all the posts and unless I am so loopy I missed it, I didn't see any mention of ear drops. Have you tried those or talked to your doctor about them. My doctor tried me on 3 different types but due to the tubes in my ears being totally blocked by tumors and the glue ear, the drops didn't help.

If you haven't talked to your doctor yet, you might ask about the drops. A lot of people swear by them and say they do help.

I have also found that Bengay (Pain Relief & Massage) works well for me when my ears start hurting. I rub in on the bone directly behind my ear and it helps to relieve the ear pain and the headache I always get with the ear pain. Again, not for everyone, but when you have the earaches like you are getting, I know I will try anything.

Good luck!

Blessings,
    Teresa

Nope, you're not loopy.
    Nope, you're not loopy. Well, at least not about the ear drops, anyway. ;-) Neither doctor gave me any kind of ear drop.

I will see if my parents have any BenGay up there tomorrow. Thanks. If I wasn't so hot, I would heat up my rice bag for my neck, bur I'm sweating my keister off right now, so that's not happening.
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options

Nope, you're not loopy.
    Nope, you're not loopy. Well, at least not about the ear drops, anyway. ;-) Neither doctor gave me any kind of ear drop.

I will see if my parents have any BenGay up there tomorrow. Thanks. If I wasn't so hot, I would heat up my rice bag for my neck, bur I'm sweating my keister off right now, so that's not happening.

Speaking of Ear Drops
    May not make any difference at all - but have you tried Sweet Oil in your ears? No way it'lll cure your ills, but it always made things a little less ugly for me during treatment.
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    Pam M said:

Speaking of Ear Drops
    May not make any difference at all - but have you tried Sweet Oil in your ears? No way it'lll cure your ills, but it always made things a little less ugly for me during treatment.

I am not a fan of sticking
    I am not a fan of sticking any thing in my ears. :( I have a thing about that actually, it freaks me out. I'm weird, I know. Not sticking anything in there, unless ENT dude tells me I have to. Thanks though.
  • DrMary
    DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Didn't mean to imply
    that you'd misused antibiotics - you seem very careful about such things. But someone who sneezed on you might have and you inherited his or her resistant bacteria. I hope not.

I have to say the itchy does sound like allergies. Not fun, no matter what is causing the problem. I don't like Mondays (everybody sing it) but for your sake, I hope this Monday comes soon.
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    DrMary said:

Didn't mean to imply
    that you'd misused antibiotics - you seem very careful about such things. But someone who sneezed on you might have and you inherited his or her resistant bacteria. I hope not.

I have to say the itchy does sound like allergies. Not fun, no matter what is causing the problem. I don't like Mondays (everybody sing it) but for your sake, I hope this Monday comes soon.

I Wanna Shooo ooo ooo oo ooo ooot
    The whole day down. Thanks for the blast from the past, doc.
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    DrMary said:

Didn't mean to imply

Oh, I know. No worries. :) No apology needed.
    No, I didn't think that you were saying that I misused them at all. It bothers me when other people take prescriptions that aren't theirs and abuse drugs. Guess I am just stating it for the record, in general.

I guess I'm just one of those people that are sort of the opposite. I don't take anything unless it's necessary, and I read all the packages and directions and what not. I'm OCD that way.
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    Pam M said:

I Wanna Shooo ooo ooo oo ooo ooot
    The whole day down. Thanks for the blast from the past, doc.

Lol
    That is a good tune. :)
  • connieprice1
    connieprice1 Member Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Lol
    That is a good tune. :)

Darn it, I was hoping your
    Darn it, I was hoping your update was good news. Well hopefully you will get some explanation when you see the ENT doctor. I personally think doctors should treat any problem from post cancer patients with more urgency. I know Connie had to wait 6 weeks from the time of her biopsy until she seen her 1st oncologist to setup treatment plans. This almost drove us both crazy because you know the sooner you start treatments the better. It seems that ear infections can start from a lot of reasons so lets hope for the best. As you know Sweet I will always say a prayer for you and will be anxiously waiting for the next update. Try to relax and hopefully this has NOTHING to do with cancer. Your friends, Homer & Connie
  • adventurebob
    adventurebob Member Posts: 691
    Options
    Ouch
    I've been away for a bit and just read of your ear problems. Sorry Sweet. I don't have any experience with this since the chemo took away my ear pain but I sure can relate to how crappy you must feel. I'll be lifting you up high for some quick healing.

AB
  • sweetblood22
    Options

Ouch
    I've been away for a bit and just read of your ear problems. Sorry Sweet. I don't have any experience with this since the chemo took away my ear pain but I sure can relate to how crappy you must feel. I'll be lifting you up high for some quick healing.

AB

AB
    Thank you so much. I am glad tomorrow is Monday, and I have my appointment with ENT. I cannot say I'm not nervous, I cause I am.

I am hoping to get to sleep early by some miracle tonight, as my appointment is early, and I'll need to leave at 8:40. That means I need to be up at 7:40. That's way too early for me. Lol. Maybe I should take a shot of benedryl at 11 or 12 and that will make me fall asleep for sure. Last night I was up until 4:30 am. Not an uncommon occurrence. :)
  • Rubytoos
    Rubytoos Member Posts: 45
    Options

AB
    Thank you so much. I am glad tomorrow is Monday, and I have my appointment with ENT. I cannot say I'm not nervous, I cause I am.

I am hoping to get to sleep early by some miracle tonight, as my appointment is early, and I'll need to leave at 8:40. That means I need to be up at 7:40. That's way too early for me. Lol. Maybe I should take a shot of benedryl at 11 or 12 and that will make me fall asleep for sure. Last night I was up until 4:30 am. Not an uncommon occurrence. :)

Hey, I thought we were
    Hey, I thought we were supposed to be on the c'ville train. Apparently we missed it. I hope you feel better. And get some sleep. I know about sleepless nights too.

Thinking of you.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options

AB

Hi Sweet
    Sorry to see you are still having these problems but I agree that tubes may be your answer. I just wonder why you are having problems with both ears. Sometimes the infection in the ears start in the nasal passageway so you may want to try using a nasal rinse like NeilMed Sinus Rinse, I do it twice a day to keep out infection.

Wishing you the best
    Hondo
  • KareGiver
    KareGiver Member Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Sweet
    Sorry to see you are still having these problems but I agree that tubes may be your answer. I just wonder why you are having problems with both ears. Sometimes the infection in the ears start in the nasal passageway so you may want to try using a nasal rinse like NeilMed Sinus Rinse, I do it twice a day to keep out infection.

Wishing you the best
    Hondo

Tomorrow
    Hope your appointment goes well tomorrow and you can put your "ear thing" behind you!
  • adventurebob
    adventurebob Member Posts: 691
    Options

AB

sleep
    Sweet,

I use GABA when I need to get back to sleep. It has no side effects and puts me gently back to sleep in about 15-20 minutes. I still sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with a racing mind, thinking about cancer.

AB
  • Lelia
    Lelia Member Posts: 98
    Options
    Status Report?
    How are things going this first day of August? We're all hoping for a good report from your doc appointment today!
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    Lelia said:

Status Report?
    How are things going this first day of August? We're all hoping for a good report from your doc appointment today!

Thanks for checking on me.
    Thanks for checking on me. :)

Started a new thread here:

STARTED A NEW THREAD HERE