Chemo Break?

Options
damama24
damama24 Member Posts: 174 Member
Hello everyone, hope that you are all doing well this hot summer day. It's been awhile since I posted, but read posts daily. The passing of AnneCan really hit me hard. She and I were dx'd about the same time and were both told we were inoperable. She was so determined to beat this damned beast.
At my last onc appointment she talked about taking a chemo break. I'm really torn about the decision. A chemo break would be nice but in the past things usually went downhill after taking a break. I originally was on Folfox for 6 rounds and the oxi was dropped due to severe neuropathy. I took a 4 week break and did 7 more rounds minus the oxi. Then had scan and it showed cancer progressing. Onc then put me on Iriontecan and Vectibix, did well on this for about 10 months, so took a break of 4 weeks and my CEA jumped up 80 points. Had another scan and it again showed progression. So I'm now back on Folfox, had 6th round last week and CEA is dropping,(still over 300) and scan showed tumors shrinking again. Also neuropathy has not been an issue yet. My fear is every time I take a chemo break things go south. But since I seem to be on the "chemo for life plan" chemo breaks will have to be part of the plan. I'm just worried a break will undo everything I've gained.Don't want to feel like I'm starting all over again after a break. My family wants me to do whatever I feel is best for me. Thers the rub what is best, I just don't know anymore. Sorry this went on so long but I know the people here understand better than any others the fear. Thanks for all your support.

Deb

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Hi Deb
    I understand how you feel about taking breaks. When I would take breaks things start to grow. I was offered a break about 9 months ago and refused it. We looked at my past patterns with treatment and what happened and now we've found a good protocol where I go every 3 weeks now (Erbitux only) and it seems to be just right (for now). I've been at this for over 7 years and am OK with it. I know things change and that we are all different.

I know what you mean about AnneCan, we've lost a lot of good people. It's very tragic how devastating this disease is. Two people can have similar situations but react differently to treatment.
    -phil
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    Deb which has been your cea levels before your two breaks?
    where you clear?.
    Thanks for the info but I'm thinking in a rest in a month!.I agree about Anne, she was the first to welcome me in the board, my first friend on CSN and keep fluent chats with her! a real lady! Miss her still can't believe it!
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation
    Hi Deb,

What you say here seems so similar to my own situation. My onc doesn't want me taking a break- he also doesn't want me to have surgery on my recurrent rectal tumor because I'd have to temporarily stop chemo to have it done. Like you, every chemo break I've ever had has resulted in my CEA rising. Mine is also currently pretty high. It's now come slightly down the past two times (it's taken every 4 wks) & now sits at 286, as of 2 wks ago. It was up to 319 at its high a couple of times ago. It will be drawn again in 2 more weeks, so I'll see if the downward trend continues or not. Most of my chemo breaks have come during the summer it seems & since we normally go on some kind of vacation for a couple of weeks, I usually also have to postpone any treatment during that time. This year, we carefully planned a shorter trip on my "off" week so no treatment has to be missed or postponed.
    So, as much as you'd like a break yourself, I don't know if I'd want to mess with that downward CEA trend you've got going. Are you taking any supplements at all to boost your body's overall immune health? My blood counts including platelets have stayed really good since I began taking chlorella and spirulina- they are types of an algae and boost oxygen levels in the red blood cells especially. Chlorella has been touted as a superfood for the body. I get mine online, but I'm sure you can find them in health food stores. If you get chlorella, make sure it's broken cell wall chlorella, otherwise it doesn't absorb into the body very well. Even my oncologist (who asked me to stop the sauna detox treatments I've done for now) told me to stay on the chlorella, as it seems like it's really helping me. He didn't start me on it- I did that on my own, but he sees my numbers and they are looking so much better since I started doing this. I believe this keeps my body strong so I can keep on the chemo, as I too am on the "lifelong" plan.
    Someone at chemo yesterday asked me how many more treatments I have till I'm "done". I always feel funny giving my answer that there's not an end in sight & I'm on the lifelong chemo plan until or unless I'm healed or become NED.

Take care & hang in there, girl!

Hugs,
    Lisa
  • damama24
    damama24 Member Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    pepebcn said:

Deb which has been your cea levels before your two breaks?
    where you clear?.
    Thanks for the info but I'm thinking in a rest in a month!.I agree about Anne, she was the first to welcome me in the board, my first friend on CSN and keep fluent chats with her! a real lady! Miss her still can't believe it!

chemo break
    Hello Pepe,
    To answer your question,no I have never been clear. At time of diagnosis my CEA was over 5000, it dropped to about 900 after the first 6 rounds of Folfox, then after dropping the oxi it climbed to over 9000. That prompted the switch to Iriontecan and vectibix and my CEA dropped dramatically over the first 10 months down to 23. Onc felt it was time for a short break, that's when CEA climbed back to over 100. I stayed on the Irionetecan and vectibix for another 6 rounds to see if the CEA would come back down, but it didn't, it climbed to almost 400 and scan showed progression. Onc then switched me back to Folfox. Last scan showed tumors shrinking and CEA dropping slowly. Just worried a break will stop that downward trend. Hope this answered your questions. Thank you so much for your input and concern.
    Deb
  • pepebcn
    Options
    damama24 said:

chemo break
    Hello Pepe,
    To answer your question,no I have never been clear. At time of diagnosis my CEA was over 5000, it dropped to about 900 after the first 6 rounds of Folfox, then after dropping the oxi it climbed to over 9000. That prompted the switch to Iriontecan and vectibix and my CEA dropped dramatically over the first 10 months down to 23. Onc felt it was time for a short break, that's when CEA climbed back to over 100. I stayed on the Irionetecan and vectibix for another 6 rounds to see if the CEA would come back down, but it didn't, it climbed to almost 400 and scan showed progression. Onc then switched me back to Folfox. Last scan showed tumors shrinking and CEA dropping slowly. Just worried a break will stop that downward trend. Hope this answered your questions. Thank you so much for your input and concern.
    Deb

Thank you Deb for your fast response!
    Praying for a continuos dropping &shrinking , will pray for that!
  • pepebcn
    Options
    damama24 said:

chemo break
    Hello Pepe,
    Deb

Thank you Deb for your fast response!
    double, sorry!
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Hi Deb
    Did your onc give you any reason for suggesting the break?

Is this the same onc you had when you had breaks before?

Perhaps a reminder is in order to the onc that your body seems to react best to chemo with a set routine, without breaks.

It might be possible to change the frequency of chemo to spread it out a little but to keep on a set routine...as an example instead of every 2 weeks,going to every 3 weeks.

Sounds like more conversation with the onc is in order before making your decision.

Wishing you the best outcome no matter what you decide.

Marie who loves kitties