liquid vitamins and no colon

Options
Are liquid vitamins more effective if you don't have a colon? I am going to the bathroom every 30 minutes since I got home from hospital. I can tell that the iron supplement and other vitamins are not staying in my body long enough. Any advice on taking liquid vitamins verses capsules? I am still very weak and my iron levels are down. Had anemia before surgery but levels were fine ater surgery up until a few days ago. I am not recovering well because I am so weak and some days want to just stay in bed. It has been almost three weeks since surgery and I still feel weak. I just feel that I should be more active by now.

Tessa

Comments

• pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    Tessa have you been operated of liver as well?
    or just colon?
    hugs!
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    Options
    hummm I would think liquid
    hummm I would think liquid vitamins would be more likely to be absorbed quickly? And capsules and pills would not.
    When was the last time you had your iron levels checked? You may need a booster of blood cells? I know one of our friends on the board always talked about how much better she felt after a bag. Also are you drinking enough fluid? You may be dehydrated and need a couple of bags of water in you. At any rate, think you should call the surgeon and let him/her know whats going on. Would it help to work with a nutritionist to find a better balance so you are keeping more calories in you?
  • northernlites
    northernlites Member Posts: 96
    Options
    pepebcn said:

Tessa have you been operated of liver as well?
    or just colon?
    hugs!

just had colon removed.

just had colon removed.
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    Patteee said:

hummm I would think liquid
    hummm I would think liquid vitamins would be more likely to be absorbed quickly? And capsules and pills would not.
    When was the last time you had your iron levels checked? You may need a booster of blood cells? I know one of our friends on the board always talked about how much better she felt after a bag. Also are you drinking enough fluid? You may be dehydrated and need a couple of bags of water in you. At any rate, think you should call the surgeon and let him/her know whats going on. Would it help to work with a nutritionist to find a better balance so you are keeping more calories in you?

Three week still to early !
    normal you feel weak and tired,it will become better very soon ,I'm sure about!
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    liquid good & sublingual even better
    Hi,

Liquid definitely absorbs better than capsules and pills, but sublingual is even better. Some of the sublingual vitamins come in a melt-under-your-tongue pill and some are liquid or spray form. I currently take a spray form of sublingual vitamin D. It's hard to find in health food stores, I get mine from the internet, specifically the Dr. Mercola website. I take a liquid form of vitamin B complex. I haven't yet seen a full multivitamin formula in the sublingual version, just in the regular liquid version. Do an internet search for sublingual multivitamins and see what you come up with. Best wishes-

Lisa