update on tests

Options
LOUSWIFT
LOUSWIFT Member Posts: 371 Member
I am so glad I "fired" my gastro doctor of many years and went with this new doc.The new doc is one of the best in my area and despite being one of the best he listens to his patients...no more "I'm the doctor I know what's best". Obviously, I am very happy to report that I didn't even have a polyp in my colon and the throat scope to check out new veins in my throat found nothing there. He is cutting my diuretics in half and believes that my liver chirrosis although not good may not be as bad as the Florida doctors thought it was. My life expectancy still is only 2-10 years but my liver will make that decision. It will be great to not have to deal with what all those diuretics and side effects have brought. I even managed to walk on my own from the parking lot to the doctors office without help. While this seems a small accomplishment three weeks ago I couldn't even stand up. So physical therapy is starting to pay off. Next month I managed to get an appointment with my ONC. As soon as he authorizes the removal of my port I am going to take great joy in firing him and locating another. I still don't trust doctors anymore. I wish I could have been smarter sooner. Take care Lou

ps I did see a psychologist about being a burden on my family and he felt my fear was a healthy thing and I should cry more to let out my feelings. Well at least he didn't ask me to cut out paper dolls or look at ink blots. I believe in science I guess that's why I trusted doctors more than I should have but psychology is not science. It is just pattern recognition.

Comments

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that there is a glimmer
    Of light at the end of your tunnel my friend. When I was first dx with protein loss I was assaulted every which way by my nephrologist . He hammered me with massive doses of steroids for a period of time that was way beyond reccommended. He did a kidney biopsy that left half my back black and blue. Next guy was not much better I was on 4 B/P meds and a diuretic,it was a wonder I didn't pass out and kill myself. I finally found a guy I could talk to. On one B/p //diuretic he did a biopsy friday and barely left a mark. All doctors are not the same you just have to find one where the respect is mutual.
    Lou I hope to be responding to your posts in fifteen years from now ,all the best Ron.
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Dear Lou
    So very glad to hear the upbeat in your message and to hear that the tests went well.

Good that you found a new doc that you feel comfortable with. You mention your life expectancy is 2 - 10 years. That is a pretty big range, so I would go with the 10! As long as you avoid all the wine, women and song...you should be good for that long...lol.

Seriously, if I were you I would be thinking the 10 years particularly since you now have a good doc.

Keep up the physical therapy. You can bounce back from that terrible hospital stay in FL.

Take care.

Marie who loves kitties
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Lou -
    Re:
    "he felt my fear was a healthy thing and I should cry more to let out my feelings."

Oh crap..... You're gonna' be an old wimpy, weepy fool. What's next,
    old Oprah segments on DVD?

However....... good to hear you're doing better!

John
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Options
    John23 said:

Lou -
    Re:
    "he felt my fear was a healthy thing and I should cry more to let out my feelings."

John

John, do you really feel that way about crying? My counselor said the same thing to be about crying, it physically lets out a chemical or something that does make you feel better.

HUGS
    Beth
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    dorookie said:

John, do you really feel that way about crying? My counselor said the same thing to be about crying, it physically lets out a chemical or something that does make you feel better.

HUGS
    Beth

Beth -
    Humor comes in all forms.....

('skuza me, I hafta' dry my cheeks; my pants are wet)

My best to youse,

John
  • LOUSWIFT
    Options
    ron50 said:

I'm glad that there is a glimmer
    Of light at the end of your tunnel my friend. When I was first dx with protein loss I was assaulted every which way by my nephrologist . He hammered me with massive doses of steroids for a period of time that was way beyond reccommended. He did a kidney biopsy that left half my back black and blue. Next guy was not much better I was on 4 B/P meds and a diuretic,it was a wonder I didn't pass out and kill myself. I finally found a guy I could talk to. On one B/p //diuretic he did a biopsy friday and barely left a mark. All doctors are not the same you just have to find one where the respect is mutual.
    Lou I hope to be responding to your posts in fifteen years from now ,all the best Ron.

15 YEARS
    I'm a pragmatist so with all the research I've done 15 years is unrealistic but I will give it my best shot, Always good to hear from you. Lou
  • LOUSWIFT
    Options
    John23 said:

Lou -
    Re:

John

John John
    John I was being sarcastic about taking the psycologist suggestion that I weep my way out of my feelings of being a burden on my family. I admit I have done some crying over the years but usually for others not for me. March 5th the death of my new born son many many years ago is such a day every year. But I have delivered nine babies for others and lost a set of premature twins (they were delivered too soon before lungs developed) I shed some tears then too. You and I seldom agree on who is right but I'll agree when it has come to doctors and chemo "fool" in my case may apply! You take care. Lou
  • rogina2336
    rogina2336 Member Posts: 188
    Options
    Good Good Good
    Great to hear your good news!!! Kim
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    enjoy getting your port out
    dear lou,

glad the liver is looking a bit better.
    i felt great getting my port out. sure you will too.

hugs,
    pete
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    Lou
    Hi Lou,

I'm glad to hear you're doing so well & that you're firing the former onc. :)
    2-10 years is quite a range- I'd be looking at the long end of it and hope for even more! No one but God knows when our time is up!

Take care and enjoy getting that port removed!

Lisa
  • relaxoutdoors08
    relaxoutdoors08 Member Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear better news for You
    Lou,
    I have been following your story online because my Liver Enzyme Tests were too high so Chemo was reduced for the last two treatments of Folfox. My Liver Tests have improved going down 3 months after chemo. BUT today we get hopefully the results of my sister who is 15 years younger who had double the Liver Tests Readings on my worst liver tests during chemo and has Adult Jaundice. We are praying for good liver biopsy results that she will get today. No diagnosis after two weeks of 300 and 600 Liver Tests that should be 30 and 60. Hoping and Praying for her.

Happy to hear better news for You.
    Prayers,NB
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you are being an advocate for yourself!
    I'm glad you demanded some changes and are swithching doctors, and that the overall news is much better than previously! YEAH! (Cry, stomp your feet, get out it, and then move on...)