Options
2»

Comments

• jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Debbie
    Sorry to hear this as I know with me the doctors took a very long time before they would admit that I had an infection and not cancer again. By the time they figured it out the infection left me with a lot of bad side effects. Will keep you both in my prayers.

Hondo

Thanks Hondo, prayer is the
    Thanks Hondo, prayer is the best medicine.

Debbie
  • jim and i
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Debbie
    Sorry to hear this as I know with me the doctors took a very long time before they would admit that I had an infection and not cancer again. By the time they figured it out the infection left me with a lot of bad side effects. Will keep you both in my prayers.

Hondo

Debbie
  • DrMary
    DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    jim and i said:

Clendomicin is the
    Clendomicin is the antibiotic.

not one of them
    That doesn't cause any blood problems, that I've heard of. Some in the past did, and they were briefly considered as chemo drugs, because they were so toxic. We've come a long way, I think.

Clyndamycin is normally used for deep tissue and bone infections, so I'm sure he's feeling better by the minute. I hope he bounces back from the low RBC and has no more side effects (they sure can sling them at you, can't they?).
  • staceya
    staceya Member Posts: 720
    Options
    jim and i said:

Debbie

Is he on any prednisone?
    Or other steroids, medications that may cause a personality change?
    Stacey
  • jim and i
    Options
    staceya said:

Is he on any prednisone?
    Or other steroids, medications that may cause a personality change?
    Stacey

No steroids. I think he was
    No steroids. I think he was just stressed and the doctors said the infection can cause some disorientation. He was really feeling bad at the time. Today he is back to my sweet husband. His blood count is up and his strength is improving.
  • DrMary
    DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    jim and i said:

No steroids. I think he was
    No steroids. I think he was just stressed and the doctors said the infection can cause some disorientation. He was really feeling bad at the time. Today he is back to my sweet husband. His blood count is up and his strength is improving.

Good news
    It's good to hear that he is feeling so much better - I hope the upwards trend continues and you are out of the side-effects woods for good.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Blood Counts
    Well today's problem is low red blood cells. Went from 10.3 Monday to 7.6 this morning. Big drop. Recieving a blood transfusion today.

Not sure what you are referring to specifically;

RBC Normal is: 4.60 - 5.90
    WBC Normal is: 4.20 - 10.8

And if it's the WBC, why they would give a transfusion at 7.6 which is in normal range, just curious.

I know during my treatment they monitored blood work before each treatment. At my lowest the WBC went to 2.1 and the RBC were at 4.04 and I still had chemo that day.

Is there something else going on that they have concerns with?

I know they did give me Neulasta each week after the big three (Cisplatin, Taxotere and 5FU)....

Best,
    John
  • timreichhart
    timreichhart Member Posts: 194
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Blood Counts
    Well today's problem is low red blood cells. Went from 10.3 Monday to 7.6 this morning. Big drop. Recieving a blood transfusion today.

And if it's the WBC, why they would give a transfusion at 7.6 which is in normal range, just curious.

I know during my treatment they monitored blood work before each treatment. At my lowest the WBC went to 2.1 and the RBC were at 4.04 and I still had chemo that day.

I know they did give me Neulasta each week after the big three (Cisplatin, Taxotere and 5FU)....

Best,
    John

about the blood counts
    Well when I was doing through my cancer treatments I would get my blood count drawled for chemo and radiation to make sure the blood count didnt get down 2 much before treatments.

I wanted to send my prayers to Jim and I and I hope your husband gets better with this.
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Blood Counts

Best,
    John

Do they give transfusions
    Do they give transfusions for hemoglobin? I know that is tied to red blood cells, and Hemoglobin for a Male: 13 - 18 gm/dL , Female: 12 - 16 gm/dL is normal.
  • jim and i
    Options

Do they give transfusions
    Do they give transfusions for hemoglobin? I know that is tied to red blood cells, and Hemoglobin for a Male: 13 - 18 gm/dL , Female: 12 - 16 gm/dL is normal.

You got it right Dawn, the
    You got it right Dawn, the hemoglobin was down. Back up to 10.2 today so they let him go home this afternoon.

Thanks for the prayers, they work. He still has swelling but nothing like before. I have to watch it and if not gone in 4 days cakk the ENT. They sent more clyndenycin home with him. He is naseouus but other wise doing better.
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    jim and i said:

You got it right Dawn, the hemoglobin was down. Back up to 10.2 today so they let him go home this afternoon.

Thanks for the prayers, they work. He still has swelling but nothing like before. I have to watch it and if not gone in 4 days cakk the ENT. They sent more clyndenycin home with him. He is naseouus but other wise doing better.

I seem to remember that from
    I seem to remember that from years and years ago, when my brother, who also had Fanconi Anemia, and developed aplastic anemia, was always having transfusions. I can remember when his counts were so low, he was having trouble breathing.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    jim and i said:

Hemoglobin - HGB
    Ahhh, OK, that makes since....my lowest point for that was 13.2, my scale shows normal range 14.0 - 18.0.

JG