Hello Everyone Just joined today. As the story goes, I found my RCC about 30 days ago by accident. Was having my first ever CAT scan for something unrelated, when they found a mass > 4cm on my left kidney and classified it as T2 and thankfully limited to my left kidney. My primary care physician sent me to a Urology here in Western New York who is very good. His diagnosis was a complete Left kidney removal using a laparoscopic procedure. I didn’t stop there, we traveled to The Cleveland Clinic where the Doc inserted hope that he might use meds to shrink the tumor and possible save 40 to 50% of the kidney. After undergoing a renal scan at the clinic the phone call back from the Doc was not as encouraging. Apparently the size of the mass (about the size of a baseball) cannot be helped by meds and now CC doc is not sure about a partial Nephrectomy. His position is that it would be a game day decision and to whether to save it or not. That means s your start with an open procedure and the doc will make a determination if a portion of the kidney can be saved. I returned home to visit my primary care physician who read me the riot act on not having an open procedure. I am 54 yrs old and the recovery from an open procedure as I was told and have been reading the various post is brutal. The potential for infections, hernias, and never completely healing where movements even coughing will bother you for the rest of your life is heavy on my mind .My doc‘s concern that the Cleve Clinic Doc wound not do the actual surgery, but supervise the chief resident in training. I am now thinking about seeing a Doc at the Roswell Park Cancer Institute for a third opinion. All my readings, say save as much as you can of your kidney as people with a kidney and a half live better, longer lives. On the other hand trying to evaluate the risk / reward of an open procedure to save a portion of a kidney which I don’t know how much function I will have nor for how long. Also, I am concerned that can RCC return to the remaining smaller kidney. With all that be said, I would appreciate any feedback you guys have as I try to make my decision as my time is limited.