Laryngitis

Options
SisterSledge
SisterSledge Member Posts: 332 Member
edited July 2011 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Has anyone gotten laryngitis as a chemo effect? I usually have a bit of hoarseness from the chemo that lasts a day or two...but this time it turned into full-blown laryngitis. I did have a lot going on during the week, doing too much talking. I had chemo on Wed and lost my voice on Friday afternoon :( I have had issues with swallowing and nauseous sneeze fits and sneeze feel/sound changes that have been attributed to the chemo, so this just feels like an extension of those types of problems I've already encountered.

Janine

This site mentions laryngitis can be caused by nerve damage, polyps, etc: laryngitis overview

Comments

• pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    Yes sometimes I got it Janine !
    I use to sleep with an humidifier that helps a lot for both throat and sinus !
    Hope it helps!.
    Have a big hug!
  • laurettas
    laurettas Member Posts: 372
    Options
    Humidifier
    My husband just discovered that using a humidifier helps him a lot as well. We just use it at night and by morning, his voice is almost normal. Of course by the end of the day, with the drier air, he is hoarse again, but at least he has a few hours early in the day when it is not difficult to talk.
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Lomotil vs Immodium
    That is why I liked Lomotil vs Immodium. I had less dry throat with Lomotil. Also my eyes were less dry. (I read a lot and that was a big deal for me.)

Electrolyte replacement drinks helped me also.

Best Always, mike
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Janine -

Have you read: "Why do I scream in my sleep"?
    It's all about people that don't know how to yell
    when they're awake.

(Being Italian, I am not so afflicted).

The humidifier is a good idea, especially if the
    air conditioning is running 24/7 during this heat wave!

As an alternative, you can try soaking your pillow
    with water prior to retiring. My neighbor tried that
    suggestion, but it rusted his hearing aids.

(I like you better when you don't talk anyway, fwiw)

Take care, OK?

John
  • SisterSledge
    Options
    John23 said:

Janine -

Have you read: "Why do I scream in my sleep"?
    It's all about people that don't know how to yell
    when they're awake.

(Being Italian, I am not so afflicted).

The humidifier is a good idea, especially if the
    air conditioning is running 24/7 during this heat wave!

As an alternative, you can try soaking your pillow
    with water prior to retiring. My neighbor tried that
    suggestion, but it rusted his hearing aids.

(I like you better when you don't talk anyway, fwiw)

Take care, OK?

John

Oh John
    That Italian in you is pro'ly my favorite thing about you! And for some reason, everyone around me is taking enjoyment from my squeaks and frogginess and silence. I'm resorting to hand signals...slapping my thigh means I'm laughing and today I had a fun day, but have a sore thigh now.

I live in the desert of Utah and have had the air conditioning on quite a bit (mostly just day time). I dunno about getting a humidifier as my room is so big and open I doubt it'd make much difference. Since I only have one more chemo date, perhaps I can just tough this out. Gonna try inhaling hot tea vapors and then drink the stuff. Thanks for all the input, tis good to know I am not alone in having this problem.

Janine
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    used to get it
    I used to get a couple days of laryngitis when I had Folfox and Folfiri. I don't get it now that I'm on Gemzar. I also do get sneezing for a couple of days following chemo & I also got it when on Folfiri, but not Folfox. Interesting, as I never heard of anyone else having "the sneezes". If the laryngitis got really bad this time for you, maybe you've contracted a virus and maybe your immune system is down and susceptible right now.
    I've never read about laryngitis being caused by nerve damage or polyps. Weird- definitely talk to your onc about it. Take care-

Lisa
  • SisterSledge
    Options
    lisa42 said:

used to get it
    I used to get a couple days of laryngitis when I had Folfox and Folfiri. I don't get it now that I'm on Gemzar. I also do get sneezing for a couple of days following chemo & I also got it when on Folfiri, but not Folfox. Interesting, as I never heard of anyone else having "the sneezes". If the laryngitis got really bad this time for you, maybe you've contracted a virus and maybe your immune system is down and susceptible right now.
    I've never read about laryngitis being caused by nerve damage or polyps. Weird- definitely talk to your onc about it. Take care-

Lisa

sneezes
    I wrote a post awhile back asking about the sneeze issue, because for me it has been more than simply sneezing more often...sneezes are proceeded by nausea and that increases with each sneeze...once it even made me vomit when I had a four-sneeze fit before I was fully awake that morning. Also, force and sound of my sneeze has changed...stronger/louder.

My blood numbers have all been good, some even at what is considered normal normal...I think I'm in pretty good health. I think the laryngitis is caused by a worsening of the side effect of simply hoarseness...now that I'm towards the end of my chemo regimen it seems I have been getting new or worse side effects on some aspects. This laryngitis is also probably an exacerbation of the hoarseness because of too much talking to too many people in one day...oh, and I'm under a bunch of extra stress :(
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options

Oh John
    That Italian in you is pro'ly my favorite thing about you! And for some reason, everyone around me is taking enjoyment from my squeaks and frogginess and silence. I'm resorting to hand signals...slapping my thigh means I'm laughing and today I had a fun day, but have a sore thigh now.

I live in the desert of Utah and have had the air conditioning on quite a bit (mostly just day time). I dunno about getting a humidifier as my room is so big and open I doubt it'd make much difference. Since I only have one more chemo date, perhaps I can just tough this out. Gonna try inhaling hot tea vapors and then drink the stuff. Thanks for all the input, tis good to know I am not alone in having this problem.

Janine

Buy two of them ,must be enough for any size of room and
    promise you its big difference, actually my nose use to bleed every day until I bought one!
  • mukamom
    mukamom Member Posts: 402
    Options

sneezes
    I wrote a post awhile back asking about the sneeze issue, because for me it has been more than simply sneezing more often...sneezes are proceeded by nausea and that increases with each sneeze...once it even made me vomit when I had a four-sneeze fit before I was fully awake that morning. Also, force and sound of my sneeze has changed...stronger/louder.

My blood numbers have all been good, some even at what is considered normal normal...I think I'm in pretty good health. I think the laryngitis is caused by a worsening of the side effect of simply hoarseness...now that I'm towards the end of my chemo regimen it seems I have been getting new or worse side effects on some aspects. This laryngitis is also probably an exacerbation of the hoarseness because of too much talking to too many people in one day...oh, and I'm under a bunch of extra stress :(

Robert had
    a horse voice for a day or two after FOLFRI treatments. The onc didn't think it had anything to do with the chemo....but once it was stopped, no more hoarse voice..hummmmm.
    The erbitux and campostar doesn't seem to have that effect.
  • SisterSledge
    Options
    mukamom said:

Robert had
    a horse voice for a day or two after FOLFRI treatments. The onc didn't think it had anything to do with the chemo....but once it was stopped, no more hoarse voice..hummmmm.
    The erbitux and campostar doesn't seem to have that effect.

Chemo
    I've been on Gemcitabine and Cisplatin since February 2011. Sometimes it is the steroids in the mix that cause me the most problems though :(
  • ketziah35
    ketziah35 Member Posts: 1,145
    Options
    My mom ended chemo in late
    My mom ended chemo in late December. The laryngitis went away when she finished chemo.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    at least you can still type
    dear jananine,

we can always hear you.
    hope the other suggestions help.

hugs,
    pete