adenocarcinoma

lms1616
lms1616 Member Posts: 11
Hi, I'm new to all of this, so please bare with me. My family found out 3 weeks ago that my 69 year old mother has stage 4 lung adenocarcinoma. It has been 4 months of test and procedures to determine what was wrong. She just had a pet scan today and of course we now have to wait for the doc to call with results. The cd of her scan looks like she has mets throughout portions of her abdomen and chest. I have been psychotically researching this so that I could compare scans. I feel like I'm losing my mind. My mother is the sweetest and gentlest person I know and I feel so hopeless. I guess I'm just looking for some insight from real people and not statistics. If there is anyone out there that is a survivor or has a friend or family member that is, I would love to know. It's a very hard pill to swallow to think that she may only have 8 months - a couple of years. Please help.

Comments

• Julie2011
    Julie2011 Member Posts: 58
    Adenocarcinoma
    I wanted to just say I am so sorry to hear about what your mother is going through and maybe you can get a second opinion. God bless you; your in my prayers.
  • lms1616
    Julie2011 said:

Adenocarcinoma
    I wanted to just say I am so sorry to hear about what your mother is going through and maybe you can get a second opinion. God bless you; your in my prayers.

Thanks Julie. Sometimes I
    Thanks Julie. Sometimes I think it's easier to read these blogs and talk to people on here than to talk to anyone else. My mom got her pet scan resulys back and I am sorry to say that the cancer has spread to her lymph nodes and possibly her liver and ribs. We r still waiting for bone scan reults and brain mri. It seems like every time we turn around it's more bad news. I'm tryin to do everythin I can for her right now biut I have to say that I have never felt a more overwhelmin feeling of sadness in my life. It's like I can't breath anymore. Please keep her in ur prayers and I will keep you in mine. Thanks again....
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    lms1616 said:

Thanks Julie. Sometimes I
    Thanks Julie. Sometimes I think it's easier to read these blogs and talk to people on here than to talk to anyone else. My mom got her pet scan resulys back and I am sorry to say that the cancer has spread to her lymph nodes and possibly her liver and ribs. We r still waiting for bone scan reults and brain mri. It seems like every time we turn around it's more bad news. I'm tryin to do everythin I can for her right now biut I have to say that I have never felt a more overwhelmin feeling of sadness in my life. It's like I can't breath anymore. Please keep her in ur prayers and I will keep you in mine. Thanks again....

Ims1616
    Sorry your mom is going through all of this but please don't give up hope yet. The treatment could possibly put her into remission for years. It's natural to have the sense of doom when you first hear the word cancer but if you read these posts you will read many encouraging stories.

I will keep you and your mom in my prayers. Stay strong and think positive.
    Glenna
  • smneider
    smneider Member Posts: 20
    adenocarcinoma
    Hi. My Mom who is 68 on August 1st was diagnosed with stage 4 lung adenocarcinoma 2 weeks ago. Like your Mom, my Mom is the most caring, generous, giving person I have ever meet. I am having a really hard time with it as well. She just looks so healthy. I just can understand how a person who has eaten all the so called right foods, exercised done all the mammograms, etc can get something like this. It is just heartbreaking to say the least. Her 1st treatment is radiation and starts tomorrow through Friday. We will find out this week if she is eligible for Tarceva. I pray she is a candidate. She is being treated at MD Anderson. Which is supposedly one of the best cancer hospitals in the world. I hope so.

Hang in there.
  • mz_shocked
    mz_shocked Member Posts: 1
    Adenocarcinoma
    My husband was dx on may 25th this year w andenocarcinoma, nsclc.. stage 4 ... like u everytime he had a test done, we got bad news. It's awful, almost to the point of not wanting to hear anymore news. He has mets in liver and bones. I looked at his PET scan and he had spots everywhere in his abdomen too. Fortunately, he did not hv mets in brain, and we were so happy to finally get some good news. He just turned 34 and in good health and boom, here we are. Next week he gets his 4th round of chemo. We also get results from a CT scan and DNA test next week. Right now he's very weak, no apetite, on oxygen 24/7... this is soo hard. We have 4 children and I'm a stay@home mom. I'm constantly crying when I'm alone.
  • lekkerone
    lekkerone Member Posts: 199 Member

Adenocarcinoma
    My husband was dx on may 25th this year w andenocarcinoma, nsclc.. stage 4 ... like u everytime he had a test done, we got bad news. It's awful, almost to the point of not wanting to hear anymore news. He has mets in liver and bones. I looked at his PET scan and he had spots everywhere in his abdomen too. Fortunately, he did not hv mets in brain, and we were so happy to finally get some good news. He just turned 34 and in good health and boom, here we are. Next week he gets his 4th round of chemo. We also get results from a CT scan and DNA test next week. Right now he's very weak, no apetite, on oxygen 24/7... this is soo hard. We have 4 children and I'm a stay@home mom. I'm constantly crying when I'm alone.

mz
    I am so sorry to hear that. I really hope you have good support as it is too much for you to handle alone. Please keep us informed as to how you both are doing. God bless, Diane
  • smneider
    smneider Member Posts: 20

Adenocarcinoma

You are all in my prayers.

You are all in my prayers.
  • lms1616
    smneider said:

adenocarcinoma
    Hi. My Mom who is 68 on August 1st was diagnosed with stage 4 lung adenocarcinoma 2 weeks ago. Like your Mom, my Mom is the most caring, generous, giving person I have ever meet. I am having a really hard time with it as well. She just looks so healthy. I just can understand how a person who has eaten all the so called right foods, exercised done all the mammograms, etc can get something like this. It is just heartbreaking to say the least. Her 1st treatment is radiation and starts tomorrow through Friday. We will find out this week if she is eligible for Tarceva. I pray she is a candidate. She is being treated at MD Anderson. Which is supposedly one of the best cancer hospitals in the world. I hope so.

Hang in there.

I know exactly what you are
    I know exactly what you are going through. My mom looked so healthy a few months ago and watching her deteriorate like this is heart breaking. I hope your mom has the right marker for Tarceva, mine didn't, but I hear it can work wonders. I will keep your family in my prayers. Don't give up!
  • lms1616

Adenocarcinoma

I am a mother of 3 small
    I am a mother of 3 small children and I can't imagine how hard this must be with your spouse so ill. Crying is good, I usually do it when I'm in the shower. I've realized that holding it all in make me more stressed out. The endless doctor appointments and constant discouraging news, blood transfusions, etc. It can make someone go crazy. We all need an outlet because after all we are their caretakers and if we aren't healthy, who will they have to support them. I will say some prayers for you guys. Hang in there!
  • Grey0919
    Grey0919 Member Posts: 1

Adenocarcinoma

Adenocarcinoma
    mz_shocked,
    I'm sorry about your husband. I'm reaching out because I'm hoping we can share some information about treatment options/plans. Your husband is young - just like my little brother was was diagnosed in July 2011 with stage 4 lung cancer with mets to the spine, liver, hip bones, and lymph nodes. He is 27 years old, non smoker, no family history of cancer. He too is on oxygen 24/7, fatigued when he gets up just to go a few steps to the bathroom and very little to no appetite. He started chemo (carbo/taxol) 2 weeks ago and is getting radiation on his spine today. He seems to be taking the chemo okay. His quality of life has changed dramatically (he lays around most days and doesn't move far from the couch).

I'm shocked, scared, and just feeling helpless.

God Bless.
  • sleepless in jersey
    sleepless in jersey Member Posts: 185
    Grey0919 said:

Adenocarcinoma
    mz_shocked,
    I'm sorry about your husband. I'm reaching out because I'm hoping we can share some information about treatment options/plans. Your husband is young - just like my little brother was was diagnosed in July 2011 with stage 4 lung cancer with mets to the spine, liver, hip bones, and lymph nodes. He is 27 years old, non smoker, no family history of cancer. He too is on oxygen 24/7, fatigued when he gets up just to go a few steps to the bathroom and very little to no appetite. He started chemo (carbo/taxol) 2 weeks ago and is getting radiation on his spine today. He seems to be taking the chemo okay. His quality of life has changed dramatically (he lays around most days and doesn't move far from the couch).

I'm shocked, scared, and just feeling helpless.

God Bless.

To Grey0919
    Im sorry that your here and dealing with this!
    My Mom was dx 1/3/11 NSCLC (adenocarcenoma) mets to brain,spine,pelvis.
    Mom just turned 61. She also went through a period of no appetite (the Onc is going to write a script of megace to increase her appetite fyi was on strong steroids so her appetite was good during that time, but dimenishing again).

Her 1st line was carbo/alimta also b12 shots and zameta (infused for bones)

Its very scary and so hard, I know. I have my moments and cry in the shower.
    Mom was on 02 for a coupld of days until the steroids and the nebulizer kicked in(also had a sm. amt of fluid removed from LT. lung)

I believe staying focused, postive energy and getting your loved one to move around and to do your best to get them out as well.

Remember we are all here for you weather being the patient or the caretaker like you and I!

Positive energy your way