Could Bill have the Schatski Ring Problem?

kateel
kateel Member Posts: 28
We are still going round and round about Bill's coughing, gagging, and throwing up thick phlegm. Sometimes, a little food comes up, even from 2 days or so before. The doctor has put him on Claritin, Papaya Chews, and now Erythromycin to try and thin his mucous. He also has that nasal drip. Today, he went for another Barium Swallow and they found nothing. He continues to say that he feels there is a lump or blockage in his throat and he says sometimes food gets behind this blockage. They keep saying he doesn't need a dilation, but something is still wrong. He had his Esophagectomy 3 months ago and is still complaining about this same problem. I read about the lady who ended up not having EC, thank God, but has Schatski Ring instead. Could this be Bill's problem, even though he had an Esophagectomy? HELP!

Comments

• momofmany
    momofmany Member Posts: 8
    Still reading! For me, the
    Still reading! For me, the feeling of something "stuck" was three different sources. 1) the schatzki ring, and 2) the LPR 3) hiatal hernia.

The Hiatal hernia and the ring accounted for the feeling of something stuck in the distal esophagus. But I also had a similar feeling up higher, which FELT like it was right in the back of my throat, just out of view for me.

William posted to my thread a really good description of the LPR, which I'll copy here. With the exception of voice changes, It is EXACTLY what I've been feeling for months, and probably why countless times, in the middle of the night, I'd be shining a flashlight down my throat SURE that there was something stuck back there!

________WHO GETS LARYNGOPHARYNGEAL REFLUX, AND WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?_____

Laryngopharyngeal reflux commonly affects women. The average age of onset is 57. While the condition is made worse with obesity, it occurs very frequently in thin, tall women. A smaller percentage of men have LPR. The most common symptom is a gravelly voice present upon awakening and continuing throughout the day. With this comes ease of losing the voice, or voice fatigability. The sensation of “a lump in the throat,” or globus sensation, is also very common. This is due to hyperactivity of the muscle trying to hold the acid down in the esophagus. Finally, in response to laryngeal injury, the larynx produces a significant amount of mucus. Patients therefore often complain of significant throat clearing and the sensation of postnasal drip.

Since the body cannot tell whether the “drip” is coming from the larynx or from the sinuses above, LPR is often confused with sinus symptoms or even asthma.

The above three symptoms, globus sensation, chronic throat clearing, and gravelly voice, are the most common presenting symptoms of LPR. Chronic throat pain, or the sensation of choking as well as chronic cough, may also be experienced. Heartburn is not commonly associated with LPR, and studies suggest that perhaps only 6% of patients with LPR have heartburn or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

I hope you can get it figured out for Bill. It is a miserable feeling, and the throat clearing was driving everyone else in my house crazy. Some nights I would just sleep in the couch because I knew I'd be keeping my husband awake all night with the constant noise. During the day, when it's really bad, a friend of mine timed it at every 18 seconds.
  • momofmany
    momofmany Member Posts: 8
    Still reading! For me, the feeling of something "stuck" was three different sources. 1) the schatzki ring, and 2) the LPR 3) hiatal hernia.

The Hiatal hernia and the ring accounted for the feeling of something stuck in the distal esophagus. But I also had a similar feeling up higher, which FELT like it was right in the back of my throat, just out of view for me.

William posted to my thread a really good description of the LPR, which I'll copy here. With the exception of voice changes, It is EXACTLY what I've been feeling for months, and probably why countless times, in the middle of the night, I'd be shining a flashlight down my throat SURE that there was something stuck back there!

Laryngopharyngeal reflux commonly affects women. The average age of onset is 57. While the condition is made worse with obesity, it occurs very frequently in thin, tall women. A smaller percentage of men have LPR. The most common symptom is a gravelly voice present upon awakening and continuing throughout the day. With this comes ease of losing the voice, or voice fatigability. The sensation of “a lump in the throat,” or globus sensation, is also very common. This is due to hyperactivity of the muscle trying to hold the acid down in the esophagus. Finally, in response to laryngeal injury, the larynx produces a significant amount of mucus. Patients therefore often complain of significant throat clearing and the sensation of postnasal drip.

Since the body cannot tell whether the “drip” is coming from the larynx or from the sinuses above, LPR is often confused with sinus symptoms or even asthma.

The above three symptoms, globus sensation, chronic throat clearing, and gravelly voice, are the most common presenting symptoms of LPR. Chronic throat pain, or the sensation of choking as well as chronic cough, may also be experienced. Heartburn is not commonly associated with LPR, and studies suggest that perhaps only 6% of patients with LPR have heartburn or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

I hope you can get it figured out for Bill. It is a miserable feeling, and the throat clearing was driving everyone else in my house crazy. Some nights I would just sleep in the couch because I knew I'd be keeping my husband awake all night with the constant noise. During the day, when it's really bad, a friend of mine timed it at every 18 seconds.
  • kateel
    momofmany said:

Thanks Momofmany
    Boy, there is so much to all of this stuff. Thanks for your input. Glad to hear that you don't have EC. That's a blessing, believe me.

God bless,

Kateel
  • kateel
    momofmany said:

Thanks Momofmany
    Boy, there is so much to all of this stuff. Thanks for your input. Glad to hear that you don't have EC. That's a blessing, believe me.

God bless,

Kateel
  • kateel
    momofmany said:

Thanks Momofmany

God bless,

Kateel
  • kateel
    momofmany said:

Thanks Momofmany

God bless,

Kateel
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • kateel
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Thanks, William
    Thank you so much for your input. You always have good advice.

Kateel