RETURN TO CHEMO

Options
vj1
vj1 Member Posts: 150
Well my Teal sisters, I am back in Chemo. CT/PT scan shows something very small, no surgery, best approach is chemo. I am getting Avastin, Gemzar and Carboplatin. Anyone else doing or have done this. My Ca125 went from 9 to 24.5 then 50, so Dr. jumped right on it. Here I thought it was going to be my last 3 month checkup for awhile, but thank goodness it showed up now. I know there are a lot of different opinions on the validity of the Ca125 but my vote is for it. So hard to know what's going on in there without some indicator. Hope this session goes as well as the last one for me. I ask that you remember me in your thoughts, etc. I have a lot of family and friend support but I truly need "my teal sisters".
Verna

Comments

• clamryn
    clamryn Member Posts: 508
    Options
    So sorry to hear this
    Verna, I am so sorry to hear this. But I am glad you and your doctor are going after it. Zap it, zap it, zap it. I knew when my CA125 started creeping up that mine was back. It seems to tell on me. My doctor kept putting me off another month to check it and told me not to worry but... I knew.
    I pray that this cocktail will kick it in the butt for you. And all of your teal sisters are here for you.

((((hugs))))
    Linda
  • dreamer007
    dreamer007 Member Posts: 61
    Options
    clamryn said:

So sorry to hear this
    Verna, I am so sorry to hear this. But I am glad you and your doctor are going after it. Zap it, zap it, zap it. I knew when my CA125 started creeping up that mine was back. It seems to tell on me. My doctor kept putting me off another month to check it and told me not to worry but... I knew.
    I pray that this cocktail will kick it in the butt for you. And all of your teal sisters are here for you.

((((hugs))))
    Linda

verna,

i started on carbo/taxol, the cancer became resistent to taxol, so was switched to
    gemzar/carbo, which worked out well... in remission since 11/30/10, and just got a
    clean CT scan...
    the gemzar knocked my rbcs, wbcs, and platelets down to extremely low levels, and
    i had a blood transfusion, about two weeks after each chemo with gem/carbo
    the neuropathy and bone pain very low, once the taxol was stopped, and less nausea
    also, my hair started growing back once the taxol was out of the picture....

never had avastin, so let us know how that works out... sending some positive energy
    to you!!!!!!!!
  • jbeans888
    jbeans888 Member Posts: 313
    Options
    I hope this rounds go good
    I hope this rounds go good for you. I will definitely keep you in my prayers. I think of chemo as scubbing my insides to make them clean. Be strong teal sister.
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    jbeans888 said:

I hope this rounds go good
    I hope this rounds go good for you. I will definitely keep you in my prayers. I think of chemo as scubbing my insides to make them clean. Be strong teal sister.

your teal sisters are here for you
    always. Sad to hear you have to go back to chemo....val
  • kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options

your teal sisters are here for you
    always. Sad to hear you have to go back to chemo....val

I second the motion
    your teal sisters are right here. I am sending good thoughts to you and praying the chemo does it's job without putying you through too much.

Karen
  • vj1
    Options
    kikz said:

I second the motion
    your teal sisters are right here. I am sending good thoughts to you and praying the chemo does it's job without putying you through too much.

Karen

dreamer007
    Did you have the neulasta (the nasty shot) injection the day following chemo? Makes you feel lousy, premedicate with claratin helped; but it did keep my white count etc good. Thank you all for your posts! Will keep you posted.

Verna
  • antcat
    antcat Member Posts: 270
    Options
    Dear Verna
    Dear Verna, I'm so sorry to hear about your latest CT/PT scan, but thank god the dr. caught it early. I know it can be discouraging when something seems like it clears up and then it comes back. I was on avastin and Cytoxan and then Avastin and Topotecan. Unfortunaely the Avastin didn't work for me and I was on it 6 months, but I think the reason it didn't work on me was that I didn't have the right combination. Everything that I've read said the Avastin is used with Carbo or Gemzar. But anyway, good luck with this new treatment.
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    we are definately sisters
    This is exactly how it went for me, too.... last 3 month checkup and all. I can tell you that you're going into this in a different place than you were the last time. You'll do great and we're all here for you. Oh, I get that neulasta shot after my second chemo (gemzar/cisplatin the first week and just gemzar the next). It's not so bad and it allows me to stay on track. We'll get through this together, ok?
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • Cafewoman53
    Cafewoman53 Member Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Good Luck!
    I hope you do well on this treatment, it is great that is caught early so they can treat it right away. You are strong and can do this you are not alone. I wish there was a way to give you more suppport than this but I am sending a big cyber hug your way !
    Colleen
  • EnglishGal
    EnglishGal Member Posts: 101
    Options

Good Luck!
    I hope you do well on this treatment, it is great that is caught early so they can treat it right away. You are strong and can do this you are not alone. I wish there was a way to give you more suppport than this but I am sending a big cyber hug your way !
    Colleen

lots of teal hugs!
    You will handle this again. With a CA125 of only 50, it's obviously been caught early! Lots of hugs and prayers coming your way.
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    HUGS
    We're definitely here for you, Verna. So glad this was caught early, but sorry that you have to do this again. Hang in there, Verna.

Prayers & Hugs,
    Monika
  • jloe
    jloe Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Sorry to hear but good it's caught early!
    Verna,
    I've had all of those treatments but not that combination exactly. The Gemzar was well tollerated and I think I did have to have a Neulasta shot with that one. I was on Avastin/Oral Cytoxan. Avastin made my blood pressure go through the roof and by the 6th treatment there was elevated protien in my urine so he took me off of that. I'm now on Alimta/Carboplatin and have had only fatigue for 2 days after the treatment. Over all, I felt ok with all of the 3 that you are on now and tolerated them well and no hair loss. My RBC has held up well because my spleen has been removed so I did not have that problem. Hope this combo works and you feel ok during the treatments. OXOXOX J :):)
  • dreamer007
    dreamer007 Member Posts: 61
    Options
    vj1 said:

dreamer007
    Did you have the neulasta (the nasty shot) injection the day following chemo? Makes you feel lousy, premedicate with claratin helped; but it did keep my white count etc good. Thank you all for your posts! Will keep you posted.

Verna

Verna,

i only had one shot of Neulasta, the whole time i was in chemo...i dont recall
    feeling an worse, after it... maybe all that benadryl i was taking last year helped
    out, plus i had tylenol 3 for the pain

must admit, i was anxious when they told me
    the taxol was not doing the job, i believe i cemented my WARRIOR status,
    when switched to gemzar, and that
    started killing the cancer again

seems like each time we get another chance, it toughens us up!
  • cfont11
    cfont11 Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Good thoughts and prayers
    are going out to you. So sorry to hear that the cancer is back but it is great that it was caught early. I have heard good and bad things about avastin in relation to ovarian cancer so it will be interesting to hear how it does for you. My last CT scan was clean but at the time my CA125 was 49 and it just went to 55. The dr. is not sure what this means and I will be re-tested in 3 weeks.
  • vj1
    Options
    Mwee said:

we are definately sisters
    This is exactly how it went for me, too.... last 3 month checkup and all. I can tell you that you're going into this in a different place than you were the last time. You'll do great and we're all here for you. Oh, I get that neulasta shot after my second chemo (gemzar/cisplatin the first week and just gemzar the next). It's not so bad and it allows me to stay on track. We'll get through this together, ok?
    (((HUGS))) Maria

Maria
    I am getting Gemzar and carboplatin the first week, then just Gemzar the second week. Just had that round followed with neulasta injection. Totally different from the first chemos--neulasta put me down for a day. This time took Claratin that morning and got thru fine. No headache like before! My only item is waves of very slight nausea from time to time but controlled with compazine. Had a friend tell me that ice cream works well on migranes. Don't have them thank goodness but figured an occasional treat will ward them off! I am very happy with my medical team and after reading these posts I feel even better. Yes sisters in all. Thanks.

Verna
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Well pooh....I think this
    Well pooh....I think this disease does this on purpose: waits until we are almost ready to stop holding our breath, then...ZAP.

I am still doing every-two-months checkups, at my insistence. My doctor thinks I am overly anxious. I've been NED since the Spring of 2010. If I'm still dancing this time next year, I will probably have to go to at least every 3 months. I find the in-between very, very hard.

Good luck with your new bug juice!

Carlene
  • vj1
    Options

Well pooh....I think this
    Well pooh....I think this disease does this on purpose: waits until we are almost ready to stop holding our breath, then...ZAP.

I am still doing every-two-months checkups, at my insistence. My doctor thinks I am overly anxious. I've been NED since the Spring of 2010. If I'm still dancing this time next year, I will probably have to go to at least every 3 months. I find the in-between very, very hard.

Good luck with your new bug juice!

Carlene

Carlene
    I agree! Surgery was 5/09 and I stayed NED until this July, but I feel as you do I want to remain on the "checklist" on the 3 month plan. It seems when the beast bites it is with no warning, etc. The checkups ,or "pelvic inspections" as my husband so fondly refers to are the least of the endurance.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery and hope it can be don Lap.

Verna
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    SORRY, VERNA
    So sorry you need to do this again. But as you can see, we're all here to support you. Sending lots of prayers and hugs your way today and from here on!

Monika