New with a question

Options
Hi all,

What is the difference (or is there a difference) between a liver lesion and a liver tumor? I was recently diagnosed with a recurrence of my colon caner, and told there was a lesion on my liver.

Thanks,
Jen

Comments

• PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Lesion
    Hi Jen
    I think a lesion can be about anything. I have "lesions" showing on MRI and CT scans on my liver, they were too small to biopsy, was doing frequent CT scans, every 6 months at first were getting bigger and more showing up, showing shrinkage and disappearance now, for whatever reason, I had no treatment for them, just getting scanned yearly. They told me it could be hemangenoma sp? which is cluster of blood vessels, fatty liver or other possibilities. Something to keep an eye on for sure, and find out what size, if biopsy is possible or not. Hope everything turns out ok.
    Pam
  • luvmum
    luvmum Member Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    good question
    Dear Jen,

I don't know the answer, but I always thought they are the same...

Best,
    Dora
  • PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    lesions
    Hi Jen Just posting a few of the causes of liver lesions, no they do not have to be tumors or cancers. I believe mine are the hemangioma type, especially since I had to have a total hysterectomy when I had my colon resection, instant menopause and extreme hormonal changes.

A lesion is any kind of abnormality on tissue. It can be caused by illness, or by serious injury. Lesions on the liver can be diagnosed by your physician. The lesions may be harmless (benign), or a sign of cancer. Lesions on the liver can have a variety of causes.
    Sarcoidosis
    Sarcoidosis is one illness that can lead to the development of liver lesions. The cause is unknown, and there are often no symptoms.
    Cystic Disease
    In cystic disease of the liver, lesions can also be formed, as well as fluid-filled solid masses.
    Hemangioma
    The most prevalent type of liver lesions are known as hemangiomas. They are most commonly found in women and are believed to be linked to changes in hormone levels.
    Focal Nodular Hyperplasia
    Another common type of abnormal liver tissue is a FNH--focal nodular hyperplasia. This is a benign, usually asymptomatic type of lesion that rarely requires surgery.
    Adenoma
    Yet another cause of liver lesions are adenomas, a fairly rare type of tissue. They are often associated with women who take oral contraceptives, and 10 percent of these types of lesions may be cancerous.
    Best of Luck to you Jen
    Pam
  • jenleffler
    jenleffler Member Posts: 2
    Options
    PamPam2 said:

lesions
    Hi Jen Just posting a few of the causes of liver lesions, no they do not have to be tumors or cancers. I believe mine are the hemangioma type, especially since I had to have a total hysterectomy when I had my colon resection, instant menopause and extreme hormonal changes.

A lesion is any kind of abnormality on tissue. It can be caused by illness, or by serious injury. Lesions on the liver can be diagnosed by your physician. The lesions may be harmless (benign), or a sign of cancer. Lesions on the liver can have a variety of causes.
    Sarcoidosis
    Sarcoidosis is one illness that can lead to the development of liver lesions. The cause is unknown, and there are often no symptoms.
    Cystic Disease
    In cystic disease of the liver, lesions can also be formed, as well as fluid-filled solid masses.
    Hemangioma
    The most prevalent type of liver lesions are known as hemangiomas. They are most commonly found in women and are believed to be linked to changes in hormone levels.
    Focal Nodular Hyperplasia
    Another common type of abnormal liver tissue is a FNH--focal nodular hyperplasia. This is a benign, usually asymptomatic type of lesion that rarely requires surgery.
    Adenoma
    Yet another cause of liver lesions are adenomas, a fairly rare type of tissue. They are often associated with women who take oral contraceptives, and 10 percent of these types of lesions may be cancerous.
    Best of Luck to you Jen
    Pam

Thanks!
    Thank you so much for the replys!