Two cancers in one breast.....overwhelmed and scared.

Options
2»

Comments

• jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Minka .. Welcome ...
    I am so sorry for all your heart break and discomfort. You've come to the right place. We offer support, search sites and many years of experience.

Take a deep breath ... as you are in good company -- and we are here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Peace, Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam

Minka - sorry you have cause to be here but glad you found us.

I don't know why doctors really don't go over the gritty details; it sure would go a heckuva long way towards soothing the unknown! Yep, it sure does seem like things are happening at lightening speed and afterwards it may seem like everything has suddenly gone into slow mode. (waiting for your drains to come out)

I had a ultrasound guided biopsy, breast conserving lumpectomy along with a 'sentinel lymph node biopsy procedure', chemotherapy, and finally a mastectomy with delayed-immediate reconstruction. Also about 8 weeks of radiation therapy.

I have never felt any pain from any of these things; not even the fractured rib! (from I don't know what...but suspect the radiation treatment! =) Your 'mileage' may vary. ;D

Ask your doctors anything and everything and as many times as it takes for you to understand the answers. It's sometimes difficult to remember what it was you wanted to ask when you're in front of the doctor, myself I take a 5x8 notebook everywhere with me and write questions as they come to me and also especially when in the waiting room. Sometimes, a doctor will see that I've got a laundry list of questions and ask if they can just read my notes and then systematically go through and answer everything!

I suppose what surprised me most about surgery was the numbness of my arm. It took months for the numbness to go away. But it did go away and now I have complete feeling back just as before.

Are you going to have reconstruction? Please try to see a plastic surgeon to explore ALL of your options BEFORE your mastectomy. It gave me great peace of mind that tissue expanders were placed at the same time of the mastectomy. It wasn't sure that I'd be having radiation and I think that's why they went ahead with the delayed-immediate reconstruction. I have two other friends that their doctors each are reluctant to consider doing reconstruction due to the radiation therapy. Consequently they may not have reconstruction (not with their current doctors anyway) even though they want to. I'm just sayin'..

It's not at all selfish to want your family near you when you need them most. Take the plunge and ask them if they (or maybe just one of them?) could possibly come out for a few days. A little moral support would be such a great relief! Tell them you need someone to drive you home from the hospital and you'd rather it be them?!! Are your grandkids teenagers (maybe young adults?), ask if they'd consider if one of them might give you a hand after surgery by keeping you company so that you won't be all alone in this.

Last but not least and this is the most important...ask your doctor BEFORE anything else what number your should call to reach him or her should you have a need to do so. They may tell you to just go to the ER if you have any complications and that the ER will then contact them. Which, IS true but for your own sense of security and for that not-quite-emergency-status situation you'd STILL like a number in which to reach someone for whatever. Better to have a number to call for answers and not need to than suddenly find otherwise. I'm just sayin'

Please keep us updated we will all be wanting to know how your surgery went and how you're doing. =)

You are not alone in this journey for we are all right here beside you. We are your sisters in pink! Come here anytime and for any reason. We so get it here.

sorry if double post exp. issues today!!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

Minka
    Hi Minka,
    Sorry for †he difficult time. It will be nice if someone from your family can come and stay with you for at least one week during surgery and post operation recovery. My son did come for 3 days , it was very important for me seeing him before my surgery. If you leave alone a visiting nurse could be an option. If you do need Chemo you can always do in in other state, even a surgery could be done at your son's geographic region. It is not uncommon for BC patients to travel for treatment. Ask you son to come and discuss it with your family.
    Hugs

I'm hoping also that your
    I'm hoping also that your family can come stay with you while you recuperate. You really will need some help. I will be praying for you!

Hugs, Angie
  • shelbyhome
    shelbyhome Member Posts: 145
    Options
    Button up anything is a
    Button up anything is a great thing!
    For me the surgery wasn't the worst it was looking at it afterward which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but the things that we can think up of in our minds are the worst...why do we listen to ourselfs?
    I went thru all of my diagnosis,surgery and treatment 1700 miles from all my family and friends and that was really the very worst for me, I just wanted my kids close to me but my husband was great!
    Good luck to you and I will be saying prayers for you.
    Hugs:) Robbin