2»

Comments

• DrMary
    DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    akbear49 said:

How Long
    Hi All

I've just completed my treatments last week and am on a liquid diet of Ensure, fortified coffee, fortified carnation drinks and some consomee soups. Not the best of diets but I'm getting by. Solid food had tasted like heavily salted crap to me since I was about 1/2 way through my treatments. My stomach signals Don't you dare send that stuff down here or its coming right back up

I'd like to request that any further responses add how long "out" they've been. I noticed a few commented "I'm 1 year or 9 months out..." but many didn't

I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect next

Thanx

More on How Long
    akbear49: Doug is about 7 months out of treatment. He was about where you are the week after treatment: several boost plus per day and some milkshakes. He was also eating scrambled eggs (made with cream and processed cheese to make them slippery) around then. He had lost 40 lbs so we really were pushing calories - if you're not in a similar boat, I'd suggest you listen to your stomach.

He is currently able to pass for normal - he can eat almost anything that is not too dry or starchy (or spicy) and he eats slowly. Someone who did not know about his condition would merely think he was a picky eater.

We are actually at the point where I am starting to dial back the number of calories he is taking in on some days (when he doesn't work out or play hockey). What a change!

You sound like you are making good progress - keep it up!
  • nwasen
    nwasen Member Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Lelia said:

Meats we've tried
    Nancy, I remember you saying you get to The James regularly, maybe you could stop by North Market just up the road next time and try the ground chicken thigh from North Market Poultry & Game, I've had good luck making tiny meatballs steamed in fresh homemade chicken stock I buy from the same merchant (Yes I usually make fresh stock, too overwhelmed right now and enjoy supporting locals retail). As Sweetblood pointed out, chicken thigh is moist and tasty and seems to go down well, even as a burger. Speaking of burgers, ground salmon burgers are juicy and easy, also available at North Market and many other seafood shops.

Mainly what we've found is no caramelized meat like a browned burger, nothing crispy or crunchy. If it's braised, poached or almost steamed,seems to do much better.

North Market
    Thanks Lelia....I usually go to Whole Foods when I am in Columbus but the North Market is right close. I will write down what you suggested. Sounds like something my throat can handle.
    Sure appreciate all the help. This site is wonderful!
    Peace
    Nancy aka toughcookie
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

Polpetteni en brodo
    Soup with the little meatballs is one of those dishes that was served every holiday in my family, and a memory dear to my heart. Some also know it as italian wedding soup. Made properly is simple, yet incredible. You make meatballs out of ground chicken thigh, (my great gram also used veal) they just lightly poach in the stock, and are so yummy. Carrots, and either escarole or baby spinach is good for the vegetable component and either acini di peep or pastina for the pasta in the soup. Was my ultimate comfort food. :)

Makes me remember holidays past with family in my great grandparents 5 story walk up they owned in the lower east side of manhattan. 53 market street. I can still hear the buzzer to be let in, and I can remember exactly what that building smelled like when we walked in.

Italian Wedding Soup
    Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa cookbook has a recipe for Italian Wedding Soup with oven-baked meatballs made from italian turkey sausage. Takes two big bags of spinach. Yummy. That soup sustained me all last winter. It was difficult to make up, as the family would sneak out and swipe the sizzling meatballs, just as I was dropping them into the soup.

Deb
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    D Lewis said:

Italian Wedding Soup
    Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa cookbook has a recipe for Italian Wedding Soup with oven-baked meatballs made from italian turkey sausage. Takes two big bags of spinach. Yummy. That soup sustained me all last winter. It was difficult to make up, as the family would sneak out and swipe the sizzling meatballs, just as I was dropping them into the soup.

Deb

Stealing meatballs
    With my nanny's, you couldn't steal the little meatballs, cause they were raw when you dropped them in the soup. However, people did try to steal the meatballs that she fried for the Sunday Gravy. Usually, a smart whack to the knuckles with wooden spoken took care of ever trying that again. My father was always kinder, he'd get a bit of extra meat and make a couple of tester meatballs for us. He is the one that mostly got cracked with the spoon. He was the rebel of the two kids. ;-)