Options

Comments

• childofthestars
    childofthestars Member Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Kathleen
    I am truly saddened

Kathleen
    I am truly saddened to hear this news BUT I know you are a fighter and will keep looking for other options. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
    with love
    Michelle x
  • jloe
    jloe Member Posts: 174
    Options
    kayandok said:

Thank you!!!!
    I AM feeling the love!!!!

I am hot on the trail to finding a way to survive as long as I can. I am beating on all the doors. Stay tuned for more updates soon.

I would not be in one piece without this board's undying love and suport.

K❤

This is very frustrating to say the least!!!!!!!
    What are your doctors saying your other treatments options are that you are not very interested in? I have the same questions as Carlene (discontinue Topo?, what other treatment options?, surgery?) You and I are sort of in the same time frame and treatments. Although, my CA125 is always low so it's never a good indicator at all for me (660 before my 1st chemo and similar to yours). My tumor/lessions are not in a mjor organ either and have shown slight progression with one new small lession behind the liver. I'm on Alimta/Carbo for 6 cycles every 3 weeks. Please let us know what your options are and how your going to CONTINUE to battle this. OXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX & PRAYERS!!!! Joni
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    jloe said:

This is very frustrating to say the least!!!!!!!
    What are your doctors saying your other treatments options are that you are not very interested in? I have the same questions as Carlene (discontinue Topo?, what other treatment options?, surgery?) You and I are sort of in the same time frame and treatments. Although, my CA125 is always low so it's never a good indicator at all for me (660 before my 1st chemo and similar to yours). My tumor/lessions are not in a mjor organ either and have shown slight progression with one new small lession behind the liver. I'm on Alimta/Carbo for 6 cycles every 3 weeks. Please let us know what your options are and how your going to CONTINUE to battle this. OXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX & PRAYERS!!!! Joni

I was hoping you would weigh
    I was hoping you would weigh in on this, Jonie. I knew that you and Kathleen were in roughly the same place and that you would have some good input.

Carlene

PS....I hope Larry has recovered from the attack of the bleeding heart Liberal. LOL
    Bob gets so anxioius when I get into a political discussion with anyone. He is the ultimate peace-keeper, and he is always afraid I will end up verbally duking it out with a conservative friend - or relative. Of course, I would never do that. I don't know why Bob thinks I would. This time, LOL doesn't quite do it justice....maybe I should say big, big LOL.
  • LaundryQueen
    LaundryQueen Member Posts: 676
    Options

Kathleen
    I am truly saddened

Kathleen
    I am truly saddened to hear this news BUT I know you are a fighter and will keep looking for other options. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
    with love
    Michelle x

Awwwww, them darn bugs!
    @Kathleen: Big sigh, my heart is heavy for you. I won't say what I think would be good for you. OK, I can't stop myself: I think you should take a chemo break for a couple of weeks.

Find a Japanese acupuncturist to help you detox & restore your balance. Get yourself some Japanese knotweed to take to slow the cancer down while you re-group. See if you can try the oral taxol drug-- it's supposed to work even if the IV taxol didn't.

Stop fighting cancer--instead, focus on healing yourself as peacefully as possible. Don't sweat the small stuff & remember it's all small stuff. Hey, I think I am really just telling you this because it is what I want to hear. My belly is full of bugs that won't go away and I'm gonna see how long I can stay off chemo myself.

I'm sure you'll figure out what's best if you can get your mind quiet long enough to listen to your heart.

(((HUGS to you & the kids, too)))

LQ
  • srwruns
    srwruns Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Not what I logged on to see.
    Not what I logged on to see. Fingers crossed, prayers being said...Ouch...
  • jloe
    Options

I was hoping you would weigh
    I was hoping you would weigh in on this, Jonie. I knew that you and Kathleen were in roughly the same place and that you would have some good input.

Carlene

PS....I hope Larry has recovered from the attack of the bleeding heart Liberal. LOL
    Bob gets so anxioius when I get into a political discussion with anyone. He is the ultimate peace-keeper, and he is always afraid I will end up verbally duking it out with a conservative friend - or relative. Of course, I would never do that. I don't know why Bob thinks I would. This time, LOL doesn't quite do it justice....maybe I should say big, big LOL.

Carlene, You are very funny!!
    I knew something funny would happen with the visit and we did have a lot of laughs. I'm very anxious to hear more details regarding Kathleen and exactly what the doctors had to say. Mine just keeps lingering around and not too aggressive at this time. I will eventually need the bowel resection again but at least I'm more mentally prepared for that than I was the last time. The treatment options that were presented to me by my primary gyn/onc and the MSKCC Dr. S (you know him well) were the same recommendations and it was several chemo combinations but no surgery at this time. You do keep us laughing! :):) Joni
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    options -a bit of a long one
    My doctor is not saying much, other than he doesn't think I should stop irinotecan YET. I am the one that asked for the letters of recommendations for Radiation Center and IGT, and he willingly did it. But, he is not really thinking very aggressively right now. I have pretty much exhausted all the options in his mind (there are no more chemo's left in his Japanese tool box). He is kind and always supportive with doing the chemo as I trudge back from the States after my surgeries, usually at the doses that I request. But, I don't rely on him to keep me alive, if you know what I mean. I know this all sounds pretty weird for some of you to read, but remember, I have never been on a conventional path since the beginning.

Carlene, there are big cancer hospitals here, and I did get a second opinion at one in the beginning of my journey. If I had gone with their protocol, i would be dead by now. I tried to get into the main Cancer Center in Seattle when I was first dx 4 years ago, and they told me there was a 2 month wait. Again, I would have been dead by the time I got in. I believe that part of the complication, was that they knew I was calling from overseas, and they just didn't trust I was a US citizen etc etc. Only a guess, but I did beat on that door pretty hard. I really wanted to have surgery in Seattle, close to my family support. I went to CA, because I had a friend (that was a 7 year late stage OC survivor with no recurrence - she still has not recurred) that recommended her doctor and got permission from him, for me to call his cell phone. As it turned out, it was a good choice, he has a lot of long term survivors as patients. He is an absolutely amazing surgoen. Doing surgery in CA is complicated, as I always have to board a plane as soon as I am able to go back to Seattle to recover, before coming home to Japan. My now 79-year-old mom has done it 3 times with me. She is amazing! One of the surgeries was a second look and 2 were debulk surgeries.

Jonie, I would love to compare notes with you, over a cup of coffee or glass of wine, too bad you don't live closer. I suspect that we are in a very similar place, although you do have a few more options for chemo, I think.

My options are:

1. Stop the chemo, go on a nice family vaca and forget about cancer!!! Some days this acually sounds quite lovely, but I really don't think I would enjoy one minute of that vacation. I take that back, I would enjoy the walk on the beach!!!!

2. Go back to Tokyo to Dr. Moneybags and pay him $150000/month to take avastin and abraxan. This might give me a couple extra months until I have to stop because of side effects and/or lack of funds.

3. Go to the States and get on medicare/medicade (whatever I could qualify for) and see what they offer. I don't have much hope that I would get into the system before I died first. And once I did, it would just be some palliative chemo to barely keep my alive until I did. Am I too cynical?

4. Go back to my surgeon in CA and ask for another surgery. He will do it, I'm sure, but then what? What chemo do I do? And I don't trust my body will bounce back from surgery like it has before. We are probaby looking at a year or so away from family and staying with mom, but again, I really can't predict. This is scary, but most likely my road to survival. I told Mark yestereday, that I would rather die in surgery, fighting the cancer than die out of pain of the cancer taking over. I know I inherited German Fight Genes! The good part is that my oldest son is in uni, 20 minutes away from mom's house. I could see him more often:)

5. Stay on irenotecan, let nture take it's course...... Sounds too boring and not how I want to die.

Meanwhile, I sent a detailed e-mail to my surgeon that has saved my life before, and have an appointment to speak with him tomorrow. I spoke with him briefly this AM (he was on his way to surgery as usual) and I know him well enough to suspect he did read my e-mail and the lilt in his voice suggests that he will say YES! YIkes.

Meanwhile, my husband found some kind of insurance that is for US citizens that even pre-existing conditions can qualify for. He is applying as I write. Could this really be true? There has got to be fine print we are missing here.... Anyone know anything about this? Can I get this PLUS some kind of medicare/medicade thing? Could they put me on some kind of express route so I could get it before I had surgery? So many unanswered questions still.....

It is raining very hard here, and we are hunkered down for another huge typhoon coming in late tonight. The sound of the rain is somehow calming my nerves, not to mention naustalgic of Seattle days. Oddly, I'm not pannicked, like I have been before when at a crossraods, and just talking/praying with my husband about all our options. I do trust in God, that he will take care of me, somehow. I have to say that I would be a mess without my faith in His love for me. And without all you lovely teal sisters and fighters. You inspire me daily.

Sorry for the very long post, I do appreciate so much, the care and concern, covet the prayers, and love love love all the good thoughts and warm hugs too:)

k❤

PS As far as Clinical Trials, I have checked into them several times, with my Seattle doctor (I did eventually get into a very well known and poplular doctor at the Swedish Hospital a couple years ago and check in with him from time to time, for second opinons on chemo etc. He is not aggressive and told me several times that I have had adequate surgery) and I don't qualify ever, because of insurance, distance and condition. In Japan, I am completely ruled out, because I am not Japaneses. My lack of Japaneseness pollutes the number. You have to understand Japan to get this one...
  • rose_marie
    rose_marie Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Dear Kathleen,
    You are in

Dear Kathleen,
    You are in my prayers. I will pass you name onto my church's prayer list also. Peace be with you.

Rosemarie
  • djinco
    djinco Member Posts: 87
    Options
    kayandok said:

My doctor is not saying much, other than he doesn't think I should stop irinotecan YET. I am the one that asked for the letters of recommendations for Radiation Center and IGT, and he willingly did it. But, he is not really thinking very aggressively right now. I have pretty much exhausted all the options in his mind (there are no more chemo's left in his Japanese tool box). He is kind and always supportive with doing the chemo as I trudge back from the States after my surgeries, usually at the doses that I request. But, I don't rely on him to keep me alive, if you know what I mean. I know this all sounds pretty weird for some of you to read, but remember, I have never been on a conventional path since the beginning.

Carlene, there are big cancer hospitals here, and I did get a second opinion at one in the beginning of my journey. If I had gone with their protocol, i would be dead by now. I tried to get into the main Cancer Center in Seattle when I was first dx 4 years ago, and they told me there was a 2 month wait. Again, I would have been dead by the time I got in. I believe that part of the complication, was that they knew I was calling from overseas, and they just didn't trust I was a US citizen etc etc. Only a guess, but I did beat on that door pretty hard. I really wanted to have surgery in Seattle, close to my family support. I went to CA, because I had a friend (that was a 7 year late stage OC survivor with no recurrence - she still has not recurred) that recommended her doctor and got permission from him, for me to call his cell phone. As it turned out, it was a good choice, he has a lot of long term survivors as patients. He is an absolutely amazing surgoen. Doing surgery in CA is complicated, as I always have to board a plane as soon as I am able to go back to Seattle to recover, before coming home to Japan. My now 79-year-old mom has done it 3 times with me. She is amazing! One of the surgeries was a second look and 2 were debulk surgeries.

Jonie, I would love to compare notes with you, over a cup of coffee or glass of wine, too bad you don't live closer. I suspect that we are in a very similar place, although you do have a few more options for chemo, I think.

My options are:

1. Stop the chemo, go on a nice family vaca and forget about cancer!!! Some days this acually sounds quite lovely, but I really don't think I would enjoy one minute of that vacation. I take that back, I would enjoy the walk on the beach!!!!

2. Go back to Tokyo to Dr. Moneybags and pay him $150000/month to take avastin and abraxan. This might give me a couple extra months until I have to stop because of side effects and/or lack of funds.

3. Go to the States and get on medicare/medicade (whatever I could qualify for) and see what they offer. I don't have much hope that I would get into the system before I died first. And once I did, it would just be some palliative chemo to barely keep my alive until I did. Am I too cynical?

4. Go back to my surgeon in CA and ask for another surgery. He will do it, I'm sure, but then what? What chemo do I do? And I don't trust my body will bounce back from surgery like it has before. We are probaby looking at a year or so away from family and staying with mom, but again, I really can't predict. This is scary, but most likely my road to survival. I told Mark yestereday, that I would rather die in surgery, fighting the cancer than die out of pain of the cancer taking over. I know I inherited German Fight Genes! The good part is that my oldest son is in uni, 20 minutes away from mom's house. I could see him more often:)

5. Stay on irenotecan, let nture take it's course...... Sounds too boring and not how I want to die.

Meanwhile, I sent a detailed e-mail to my surgeon that has saved my life before, and have an appointment to speak with him tomorrow. I spoke with him briefly this AM (he was on his way to surgery as usual) and I know him well enough to suspect he did read my e-mail and the lilt in his voice suggests that he will say YES! YIkes.

Meanwhile, my husband found some kind of insurance that is for US citizens that even pre-existing conditions can qualify for. He is applying as I write. Could this really be true? There has got to be fine print we are missing here.... Anyone know anything about this? Can I get this PLUS some kind of medicare/medicade thing? Could they put me on some kind of express route so I could get it before I had surgery? So many unanswered questions still.....

It is raining very hard here, and we are hunkered down for another huge typhoon coming in late tonight. The sound of the rain is somehow calming my nerves, not to mention naustalgic of Seattle days. Oddly, I'm not pannicked, like I have been before when at a crossraods, and just talking/praying with my husband about all our options. I do trust in God, that he will take care of me, somehow. I have to say that I would be a mess without my faith in His love for me. And without all you lovely teal sisters and fighters. You inspire me daily.

Sorry for the very long post, I do appreciate so much, the care and concern, covet the prayers, and love love love all the good thoughts and warm hugs too:)

k❤

PS As far as Clinical Trials, I have checked into them several times, with my Seattle doctor (I did eventually get into a very well known and poplular doctor at the Swedish Hospital a couple years ago and check in with him from time to time, for second opinons on chemo etc. He is not aggressive and told me several times that I have had adequate surgery) and I don't qualify ever, because of insurance, distance and condition. In Japan, I am completely ruled out, because I am not Japaneses. My lack of Japaneseness pollutes the number. You have to understand Japan to get this one...

Dear Kathleen,
    I will pray for you. My prayer for you is a return to good health and comfort. May the Lord grant you peace.

Teal love,
    Betty
  • jloe
    Options
    kayandok said:

My options are:

k❤

I just contacted Carlene
    She is sending you my information.
  • tjpt16
    tjpt16 Member Posts: 27
    Options

Dear Kathleen,
    You are in

Dear Kathleen,
    You are in my prayers. I will pass you name onto my church's prayer list also. Peace be with you.

Rosemarie

Never Give Up!
    hi Kathleen,

I totally understand your Japanese experience. My Japanese doc is very kind, but he loves his CPT 11. When I arrived back in Japan I just had a very tiny bit of cooties in a para aortic lymph node, now after months of treatment there, it has spread to a number of lymph nodes. I went to a carbon ion radiation symposium in Tokyo in February and spoke with the director of the center in Chiba. my doc had sent my records to him. He said I was not a candidate for this type of treatment, even though my insurance had approved it as a standard of treatment in Japan.

Kathleen I know it is super challenging trying to make decisions with the extra challenge of being overseas. Explore all your options, as you are doing, keep praying, and I know you will make the right decisions for yourself. You are an awesome lady with lots of fight left in you.

I hope to be back in Japan in August and hope to continue treatment in the states by flying back and forth.

Let us know what you decide.
    Teresa
  • kayandok
    Options
    tjpt16 said:

Never Give Up!
    hi Kathleen,

I totally understand your Japanese experience. My Japanese doc is very kind, but he loves his CPT 11. When I arrived back in Japan I just had a very tiny bit of cooties in a para aortic lymph node, now after months of treatment there, it has spread to a number of lymph nodes. I went to a carbon ion radiation symposium in Tokyo in February and spoke with the director of the center in Chiba. my doc had sent my records to him. He said I was not a candidate for this type of treatment, even though my insurance had approved it as a standard of treatment in Japan.

Kathleen I know it is super challenging trying to make decisions with the extra challenge of being overseas. Explore all your options, as you are doing, keep praying, and I know you will make the right decisions for yourself. You are an awesome lady with lots of fight left in you.

I hope to be back in Japan in August and hope to continue treatment in the states by flying back and forth.

Teresa

Teresa,
    are you in the States now? What treatment are you doing?
    kathleen
  • paris11
    paris11 Member Posts: 159
    Options
    tjpt16 said:

Never Give Up!
    hi Kathleen,

Teresa

Hi Teresa
    July 2010. I had one enlarged para aortic node. Onc treated with 18 weeks IP. No progression.

Best luck,

Connie
  • antcat
    antcat Member Posts: 270
    Options
    kayandok said:

My options are:

k❤

Hi Kathleen
    Hi Kathleen, thanks for responding back to me about the HIPEC treatment. I admire you for your fighting this disease, sometimes I start to feel a little sorry for myself and say "how much more can a person take?" But, I keep fighting also for my family. Have you ever been on Hexalen, I know that's an oral chemotherapy pill and I spoke to my oncologist about it if my current one fails. He told me that it is one of the older chemotherapy drugs that was specifically used for ovarian cancer. I am also not eligible for clinical trials, but the reason is the oncologist has tried so many different drugs since last year, and most trials at least the ones I'd like (Phase 2) won't let you go in them if you've had more than 2 or 3 chemo cycles. So, keep us posted and I wish you the best.

P.S. You said you did the HIPEC treatment. Did that treatment not help you? My gyn/onc and primary doc don't seem to be onboard with this treatment, as they told me it's quite risky and hasn't been proven yet. Take care.
  • kayandok
    Options
    antcat said:

Hi Kathleen
    Hi Kathleen, thanks for responding back to me about the HIPEC treatment. I admire you for your fighting this disease, sometimes I start to feel a little sorry for myself and say "how much more can a person take?" But, I keep fighting also for my family. Have you ever been on Hexalen, I know that's an oral chemotherapy pill and I spoke to my oncologist about it if my current one fails. He told me that it is one of the older chemotherapy drugs that was specifically used for ovarian cancer. I am also not eligible for clinical trials, but the reason is the oncologist has tried so many different drugs since last year, and most trials at least the ones I'd like (Phase 2) won't let you go in them if you've had more than 2 or 3 chemo cycles. So, keep us posted and I wish you the best.

P.S. You said you did the HIPEC treatment. Did that treatment not help you? My gyn/onc and primary doc don't seem to be onboard with this treatment, as they told me it's quite risky and hasn't been proven yet. Take care.

antcat,
    I never had HIPEC, I think you have me confused with someone else?
    k
  • tjpt16
    Options
    paris11 said:

Hi Teresa
    July 2010. I had one enlarged para aortic node. Onc treated with 18 weeks IP. No progression.

Best luck,

Connie

Thanks
    Thanks for letting me know, Connie.
    Teresa
  • tjpt16
    Options
    kayandok said:

Teresa,
    are you in the States now? What treatment are you doing?
    kathleen

In the states
    hi Kathleen,
    I'm in the states now. I'm at the Cancer Treatment Center of America in Tulsa, OK. I've had one round of carboplatin and gemzar. The doc will add Avastin in the next round. Had to miss a treatment because of low blood counts. I hope to return to Japan in August and fly back and forth for treatments.
    Teresa
  • Miss Mona
    Miss Mona Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Sending prayers and teal
    Sending prayers and teal hugs your way!!
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathleen
    I have just logged onto the ovarian site and have noticed your post. I am sorry you are having a tough time of it. Our cancer is a hard bugger to pin down and kill off. It is not fair, why can't they find a chemo that can KILL it all?

I will think and pray for you and hope you soon find a treatment that work.

Love Tina xxxx
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

Hi Kathleen
    I have just logged onto the ovarian site and have noticed your post. I am sorry you are having a tough time of it. Our cancer is a hard bugger to pin down and kill off. It is not fair, why can't they find a chemo that can KILL it all?

I will think and pray for you and hope you soon find a treatment that work.

Love Tina xxxx

come to the states
    for another opinion maybe Two head are better than one. I am sure you would qualify for assistance. Hope you are feeling fine. I would not go for option # one. You must keep up the fight and get better,please..val