Iron is a cancer promotor?

LaundryQueen
LaundryQueen Member Posts: 676
edited July 2011 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I know the subject of iron supplements has come up on the discussion board before. I think it is worth having a discussion with the oncologist about iron supplementation--especially, once anemia has resolved.

I found the following at this web site: http://www.howcurecancer.com/

**********************************************************************************************

Given that tumor cells utilize iron as a primary growth factor, cancer researchers are searching for a drug that would be able to attach to (chelate) iron molecules and remove them from the body, thus producing an effective anti-cancer drug. Researchers at Wake Forest University Health Sciences state that iron chelators may be of value as therapeutic agents in the treatment of cancer. They may act by depleting iron, a necessary nutrient, and limiting tumor growth.

Adriamycin (doxorubicin), an antibiotic drug often used for cancer treatment, is an iron binder. One of the major drawbacks of Adriamycin is that it can result in damage to the heart. In certain circumstances, this drug can release iron from its storage protein (ferritin), resulting in the heart damage.

Even if Adriamycin cures cancer, the patient may still die of a heart problem. Recently, an oral drug that can remove iron from the body was introduced. Ferriprox (deferiprone) is the world's first and only orally active iron chelating drug, which is effective and inexpensive to produce, but has similar toxicity to other chelating drugs.

Iron sequestering molecules are currently utilized to treat cancer and less toxic iron chelators are being sought. Many of the drugs and alternative therapies for cancer already involve iron chelation.

Comments

• Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Iron and Copper
    I know my iron levels were high a couple of months before my diagnosis, and I was always borderline anemic. My naturopath says high iron levels are an indicator of cancer. Copper works the same way.
  • LaundryQueen
    Tethys41 said:

Iron and Copper
    I know my iron levels were high a couple of months before my diagnosis, and I was always borderline anemic. My naturopath says high iron levels are an indicator of cancer. Copper works the same way.

Good point. I think it is
    Good point. I think it is more accurate to say that an elevated ferritin level (the measure of stored iron) CAN indicate cancer but it can also indicate inflammation. Were you checked for hemachromatosis?

LQ
  • Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member

Good point. I think it is
    Good point. I think it is more accurate to say that an elevated ferritin level (the measure of stored iron) CAN indicate cancer but it can also indicate inflammation. Were you checked for hemachromatosis?

LQ

Iron
    I wasn't checked for hemachromatosis. A few months earlier, my iron was low. So, I went on an iron supplement. Then it was too high, so I stopped the supplement and started having OC symptoms shortly thereafter. Don't know how this was all connected, but high iron was not a good thing for me.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Tethys41 said:

Iron
    I wasn't checked for hemachromatosis. A few months earlier, my iron was low. So, I went on an iron supplement. Then it was too high, so I stopped the supplement and started having OC symptoms shortly thereafter. Don't know how this was all connected, but high iron was not a good thing for me.

I was slightly anemic prior
    I was slightly anemic prior to my diagnosis - for years - and of course, that just got worse with chemo. It took 6 units of packed red blood cells to get me thru chemo.

I'm still anemic, but it's much better, now that I am no longer in treatment.

Carlene
  • LaundryQueen

I was slightly anemic prior
    I was slightly anemic prior to my diagnosis - for years - and of course, that just got worse with chemo. It took 6 units of packed red blood cells to get me thru chemo.

I'm still anemic, but it's much better, now that I am no longer in treatment.

Carlene

Iron deficiency anemia vs anemia of chronic disease
    I posted this information for a good reason as I think there is a LOT of confusion about anemia & iron supplementation going around on this discussion board.

There are different kinds of anemias and iron supplemenation is NOT good unless you are confirmed to have iron deficiency anemia.

The anemia a person gets from chemo is NOT iron deficiency anemia. Anyone who tells you to take an iron supplement because you are anemic from chemo needs to go back and hit the books on the treatment of the different anemias.

The problem with the anemia that comes from taking chemo is that the bone marrow is not making the red blood cells...often not making the white blood cells either.

If you hemorrhage during surgery or have chronic blood loss, then it makes sense to replace the iron that was lost. Just because a person is anemic doesn't mean taking iron is going to help.

When a person has a chronic disease such as kidney disease, congestive heart failure or cancer, there is a lot of stress on the red cells--basically, they get "beaten up" from the chronic inflammation and removed from circulation sooner than normal.

This is called "anemia of chronic disease" and it is NOT recommended to give an iron supplement to a person who has anemia of chronic disease. In fact, taking iron is going to contribute to inflammation as it is a "pro-oxident" and make the person worse.

If you are taking an iron supplement, Carlene or anyone else, PLEASE ask your doctor to do an "anemia profile" blood test on you and see if you REALLY need iron.

LQ
  • mom2greatkids
    mom2greatkids Member Posts: 528

I posted this information for a good reason as I think there is a LOT of confusion about anemia & iron supplementation going around on this discussion board.

There are different kinds of anemias and iron supplemenation is NOT good unless you are confirmed to have iron deficiency anemia.

The anemia a person gets from chemo is NOT iron deficiency anemia. Anyone who tells you to take an iron supplement because you are anemic from chemo needs to go back and hit the books on the treatment of the different anemias.

The problem with the anemia that comes from taking chemo is that the bone marrow is not making the red blood cells...often not making the white blood cells either.

If you hemorrhage during surgery or have chronic blood loss, then it makes sense to replace the iron that was lost. Just because a person is anemic doesn't mean taking iron is going to help.

When a person has a chronic disease such as kidney disease, congestive heart failure or cancer, there is a lot of stress on the red cells--basically, they get "beaten up" from the chronic inflammation and removed from circulation sooner than normal.

This is called "anemia of chronic disease" and it is NOT recommended to give an iron supplement to a person who has anemia of chronic disease. In fact, taking iron is going to contribute to inflammation as it is a "pro-oxident" and make the person worse.

If you are taking an iron supplement, Carlene or anyone else, PLEASE ask your doctor to do an "anemia profile" blood test on you and see if you REALLY need iron.

LQ

My surgeon (GYN/ONC) put me
    My surgeon (GYN/ONC) put me on OTC iron supplement after surgery. My medical oncologist took me off of the supplement. (I had to go 3 hrs for surgery, doing chemo locally) This was due to insurance, of course :)
  • Hissy_Fitz

LQ

My Gyn/Onc prescribed a
    My Gyn/Onc prescribed a multi-vitamin with iron after my surgery, and he has kept me on it, because my RBC is still low. I was already taking injections of B12 for pernicious anemia, confirmed before I was diagnosed with OC, but I don't remember what test they used. My Gyn/Onc is oppossed to anyone taking Vit B12, unless they have a confirmed case of pernicious anemia.

My anemia during treatment was from the chemo, of course. And it was treated with the transfusions of packed red cells (plus the oral iron in the vitamin tablet). The transfusions will get your RBC up very quickly. Without them, I would have had to postpone treatment on several occassions.

Carlene
  • LaundryQueen

My Gyn/Onc prescribed a
    My Gyn/Onc prescribed a multi-vitamin with iron after my surgery, and he has kept me on it, because my RBC is still low. I was already taking injections of B12 for pernicious anemia, confirmed before I was diagnosed with OC, but I don't remember what test they used. My Gyn/Onc is oppossed to anyone taking Vit B12, unless they have a confirmed case of pernicious anemia.

My anemia during treatment was from the chemo, of course. And it was treated with the transfusions of packed red cells (plus the oral iron in the vitamin tablet). The transfusions will get your RBC up very quickly. Without them, I would have had to postpone treatment on several occassions.

Carlene

@Carlene: Yes, I understand
    @Carlene: Yes, I understand your treatment but you don't "get" what I am trying to tell you.

When those red blood cells that were transfused into you died (and they did evenually die), the iron that they were carrying went straight to your liver to store up as ferritin...if all you needed was iron to build your new red blood cells, you wouldn't be anemic.

Unless you are bleeding somewhere, you are at risk of becoming iron toxic because you are continuing to take an iron supplement. No man or post-menopausal woman is EVER recommended to take iron unless it is proven that they are iron deficient.

You are anemic because of your chemo-poisoned bone marrow not because you need iron.

Do you understand what I am trying to tell you? Just say yes, even if you don't. ; )

(((hugs)))

LQ
  • LaundryQueen

My surgeon (GYN/ONC) put me
    My surgeon (GYN/ONC) put me on OTC iron supplement after surgery. My medical oncologist took me off of the supplement. (I had to go 3 hrs for surgery, doing chemo locally) This was due to insurance, of course :)

Your med/onc knows what your
    Your med/onc knows what your gyn/onc doesn't.

LQ
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member

@Carlene: Yes, I understand
    @Carlene: Yes, I understand your treatment but you don't "get" what I am trying to tell you.

When those red blood cells that were transfused into you died (and they did evenually die), the iron that they were carrying went straight to your liver to store up as ferritin...if all you needed was iron to build your new red blood cells, you wouldn't be anemic.

Unless you are bleeding somewhere, you are at risk of becoming iron toxic because you are continuing to take an iron supplement. No man or post-menopausal woman is EVER recommended to take iron unless it is proven that they are iron deficient.

You are anemic because of your chemo-poisoned bone marrow not because you need iron.

Do you understand what I am trying to tell you? Just say yes, even if you don't. ; )

(((hugs)))

LQ

Take it easy, LaundryQueen!
    If Carlene wants to follow her doctor's instructions, maybe you should just let her, OK?

(((hugs)))

Carolen
  • NCEllen
    NCEllen Member Posts: 115
    Iron as needed..
    I needed extra iron initially to up my hemoglobin and promote wound healing. I think the intake of how much iron one needs varies for each individual. Chemo zapped me and I needed a transfusion down the line (I think it was after the 6th round of my first line treatment). At this point I don't need extra iron although my hemoglobin is at the very low end of normal.
    When I think about it, most of us are starting chemo very soon after major surgery and some of us go into surgery with low hemoglobin (slight anemia that maybe chronic as well) so it's a two fold effort to reach a healthy level on both counts.
    Understanding the chemo destruction of bone marrow loss causing low RBC's, and low iron due to the body healing from trauma, it's psychologically pleasing for some (esp. me) knowing that an iron booster like a good cheeseburger or steak helps me feel better 'cause I'm eating for iron anything - in moderation of course. For the vegans, I don't see the iron supplements as being a problem (overkill can be another issue used in studies) but don't forget the shake for calcium! It couldn't hurt.... at least every once in a while. :)
  • ACD
    ACD Member Posts: 4
    Thanks! I needed to read
    Thanks! I needed to read this! I had 3 red blood cell transfusions (2 units each) to get me through my chemo. I had the major surgery, too, and was told to take iron pills. I think I will stop that right now!
  • ACD
    ACD Member Posts: 4
    Thanks! I needed to read
    Thanks! I needed to read this! I had 3 red blood cell transfusions (2 units each) to get me through my chemo. I had the major surgery, too, and was told to take iron pills. I think I will stop that right now!
  • rose_marie
    rose_marie Member Posts: 75

LQ

Thank you LQ for your plain
    Thank you LQ for your plain and simple explanation of deficiency anemia and anemia of chronic disease.
    My iron is also low due to chemo and I was going to start taking Feosal with dinner. So glad I read your post.

Thanks much,
    Rosemarie
  • LaundryQueen
    ACD said:

Thanks! I needed to read

Just to be clear
    I am not advocating that anyone stop taking iron--I am saying have yourself checked to be sure that you NEED iron.

Don't just take iron without knowing that you are iron deficient, OK? If you need iron, you need it and should get checked periodically before continuing on iron. Having a low RBC count or low hemaglobin alone is not enough of a good reason to take iron when you also have had ovarian cancer and treatment.

LQ
  • Hissy_Fitz

Just to be clear
    I am not advocating that anyone stop taking iron--I am saying have yourself checked to be sure that you NEED iron.

Don't just take iron without knowing that you are iron deficient, OK? If you need iron, you need it and should get checked periodically before continuing on iron. Having a low RBC count or low hemaglobin alone is not enough of a good reason to take iron when you also have had ovarian cancer and treatment.

LQ

While I appreciate and
    While I appreciate and respect everyone's point of view, I think it's foolhardy to just toss out your meds because of something posted on an internet forum. If your doctor has recommended iron supplements, there must be a reason. If you would like to know WHY he prescribed the iron, then ask, but at least get a second medical opinion before you discontinue something.

My PCP is an internist. He runs more tests than I really care to have run, but in the end, I bow to his professional expertise.

Carlene
  • LaundryQueen

While I appreciate and
    While I appreciate and respect everyone's point of view, I think it's foolhardy to just toss out your meds because of something posted on an internet forum. If your doctor has recommended iron supplements, there must be a reason. If you would like to know WHY he prescribed the iron, then ask, but at least get a second medical opinion before you discontinue something.

My PCP is an internist. He runs more tests than I really care to have run, but in the end, I bow to his professional expertise.

Carlene

I agree with you about
    @Carlene: I agree with you about checking with the doctor before stopping or starting any meds/supplements, thanks for re-inforcing that point.

LQ
  • faithbarbalace
    faithbarbalace Member Posts: 15

Just to be clear

LQ

I love your answers! lol
    please, i have been looking for a common sence, down to earth person to talk to. help?
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member

I love your answers! lol
    please, i have been looking for a common sence, down to earth person to talk to. help?

Yeah, that LaundryQueen does
    Yeah, that LaundryQueen does like to share her thoughts! Sometimes you have to take them with a grain of salt...no offense, girlfriend! LOL!

(((hugs)))

Carolen
  • LaundryQueen
    carolenk said:

Yeah, that LaundryQueen does
    Yeah, that LaundryQueen does like to share her thoughts! Sometimes you have to take them with a grain of salt...no offense, girlfriend! LOL!

(((hugs)))

Carolen

@Carolen: Yeah, people do
    @Carolen: Yeah, people do need to realize that I am NOT trying to give medical advice--just clue people in to information that I think is the "need to know" kind.

I keep trying to stay off this discussion board as I have way too much to do cleaning my house but I have to admit that this is a great group of people and I just want to know how everyone is doing.

I rarely watch those reality TV shows but, somehow, this seems like the same kind of attraction. Imagine if they did a reality TV show for any one of us? I probably would watch that.

LQ