I-123 scan & CT scan

Baldy
Baldy Member Posts: 243
edited July 2011 in Thyroid Cancer #1
Hi guys and gals,

Has anyone had a CT scan immeadiately following an I-123 scan? I need to have both done sometime this December, and I'm wondering what sort of scheduling problems there will be. I know that you can't have a CT scan with dye before an I-123 scan or an I-131 treatment. I had a CT scan with dye 5 months before my I-123 scan/I-131 treatment and my Endo had me do an Iodine/urine test to make sure my Iodine levels had subsided enough. I'm wondering if the I-123 will in some way interfere with a CT scan with dye. I spoke to the CT scan people, and they say 48 hours in a pinch but 7 days to be safe. I realize people are told different things by different doctors/labs, so I'd like to know what anyone else has experienced with this scenario.

Thanks,
Alan

Comments

• nasher
    nasher Member Posts: 505
    not similar but
    I had a CT scan with no contrast a month after my RAI treatment and they could tell on the CT that I had RAI treatment. They were looking in a different area for a different thing but.

The CT scan people are defiantly the ones to talk to cause they probably know everything that has "messed up" CT scans.

One good thing is they will be able to tell you within minutes if there is an issue with the I-123, but since they are already informed they can probably just make some adjustments or a few other notes can comments.

Sorry I have not responded to this one earlier i was hoping someone would have a more similar experience.

Craig
  • Baldy
    Baldy Member Posts: 243
    nasher said:

not similar but
    I had a CT scan with no contrast a month after my RAI treatment and they could tell on the CT that I had RAI treatment. They were looking in a different area for a different thing but.

The CT scan people are defiantly the ones to talk to cause they probably know everything that has "messed up" CT scans.

One good thing is they will be able to tell you within minutes if there is an issue with the I-123, but since they are already informed they can probably just make some adjustments or a few other notes can comments.

Sorry I have not responded to this one earlier i was hoping someone would have a more similar experience.

Craig

Timing
    Thanks Craig,

I spoke more with the doctor ordering the CT, she informed me she never intended to order the CT with contrast. Or as she said, she's ordering the CT "dry". Because of the Thyrogen shortage, it looks like I'll be doing the CT first and then the I-123 maybe a month later. The I-123 people say a CT without contrast will not be a problem at all, no wait, no nothing. Considering the CT is without Iodine contrast, this seems to be the proper order to do the scans.

Alan