My Chemo Drugs??

Options
2»

Comments

• Guil
    Guil Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Boy do i know how scary this all is.
    I just finished my chemo the end of march. I also had her2 pos cancer with lymph node involvment up to my collar bone. Starting the chemo was scary. I had myself all wigged out partly due to the fact I am a nurse who back in the early 70's worked in a hospital that specialized in cancer research. Back in those days the nausea and vomiting started before the chemo was even finished. I do so admire and thank those women and men that pioneered the treatment of cancer. Because of them taking those drugs that the effects were little known, today we have things that make this journey a little easier than it was for them.
    I havent worked with cancer patients in many many years but the memory of what they went through made me fear the chemo to the point of being totally wigged. I knew we had drugs now to combat the sickness but I was still irrational and just pain scared that I was not going to be able to handle it. Well I am here to tell you after 6 rounds 3 weeks apart of cytoxan, taxotere, adriamycin and herceptin (herceptin is continuing for at least a year) that even though chemo is probably the worst thing I ever have went through it was a peice of cake compared to what I witnessed back then. The main thing is fatigue (need to sleep when your body tells you its time), food aversion (I didnt feel nauseous as much as i cant put that in my mouth so I made small managable meals freq during the day and lots of water), losing the feeling in my hands and feet ( which I still have but my dr tells me it will slowly lessen or go away totally). I wear comfortable shoes and make sure I do have a grip on things I carry around.
    Your doctors and nurses should explain the side effects you will have and any they dont tell them right away so they can help you. Ask questions! Write down a list of things and take notes.
    Good luck with your journey and we are all here for you!!!!
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Guil said:

I just finished my chemo the end of march. I also had her2 pos cancer with lymph node involvment up to my collar bone. Starting the chemo was scary. I had myself all wigged out partly due to the fact I am a nurse who back in the early 70's worked in a hospital that specialized in cancer research. Back in those days the nausea and vomiting started before the chemo was even finished. I do so admire and thank those women and men that pioneered the treatment of cancer. Because of them taking those drugs that the effects were little known, today we have things that make this journey a little easier than it was for them.
    I havent worked with cancer patients in many many years but the memory of what they went through made me fear the chemo to the point of being totally wigged. I knew we had drugs now to combat the sickness but I was still irrational and just pain scared that I was not going to be able to handle it. Well I am here to tell you after 6 rounds 3 weeks apart of cytoxan, taxotere, adriamycin and herceptin (herceptin is continuing for at least a year) that even though chemo is probably the worst thing I ever have went through it was a peice of cake compared to what I witnessed back then. The main thing is fatigue (need to sleep when your body tells you its time), food aversion (I didnt feel nauseous as much as i cant put that in my mouth so I made small managable meals freq during the day and lots of water), losing the feeling in my hands and feet ( which I still have but my dr tells me it will slowly lessen or go away totally). I wear comfortable shoes and make sure I do have a grip on things I carry around.
    Your doctors and nurses should explain the side effects you will have and any they dont tell them right away so they can help you. Ask questions! Write down a list of things and take notes.

This is a scary time!
    It's all so overwhelming at first. I had chemo first then surgery, then rads. You've gotten some really good advice here! And you'll get lots of support!

Write down your questions and TAKE SOMEONE WITH YOU! Spouse, family member, good friend. Someone who will help advocate for you, ask the Dr. to repeat something, and provide an extra set of ears to hear the answers. The nurses are great and sometimes relate better to people than the Docs. Ask them!!! My nurses were all wonderful at explaining what was going to happen, what was happening, and what to expect. They also partied with me on the day of my last treatment. You CAN do this!

Sending prayers for peace, answers to your questions, and good outcomes! Come back often.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    mollieb said:

Call Back with a List of Questions
    It's tough to take everything in, especially when you are stressed and your doctor is disorganized. I like to get as much information as I can on my own, from the web or books (Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book is great, and there is a new edition less than a year old). ACTH is one of the combinations of chemo drugs they use -- A and C are Adriamycin and Cytoxan; T is Taxol and H is Herceptin (because you are HER positive). Look them up. Adriamycin is a nasty drug, but it does the job, and four treatments of A/C three weeks apart is pretty standard. Then, depending on your particular cancer, they follow up -- in my case with 12 weekly Taxol treatments (I am not HER positive), although sometimes they do Taxol every two or three weeks. Look these drugs up, along with their side effects, so you can be prepared. Write down your questions and make sure someone at your doctor's office answers them. You are entitled to have as much knowledge as you want about your treatment!

It is all sooooo overwhelming, and unfair.
    Myself:
    Left breast .. size of tumor 3.0 x 2.4x2.0 cm
    Lumpectomy specimen .. 10.0 x 7.0 x 4.0 cm
    DCIS, high grade solid and comedo type
    Her2/neu -- positive

One of my motto's .. 'Experience trumps assumption'

Please set up another 1 on 1 meeting with your Oncologist; take a family member, or friend -- notebook filled with questions and concerns, and a tape recorder.

I too, was told that my chemo with only be 1 times every 3 weeks, with herception chemo on weeks 2 and 3. Not the case. I endured 16 weeks of consecutively TCH (Taxotere, Carbo, Herception) .. terrible side efforts ensued, along with many sleepless nights ..a bonus side effort of chronic fatigue.

Oncologist based chemo regimens on clinical trails that they are a part of, or research that their affiliated Hospital and Associates follow.

You have been drafted into a war that you did not choose to participate in. You are a Strong WARRIOR, so it is important to prepare for the battle of your life! Arm yourself with information, research, (Dr. Susan Love's -- book is great), and support to help with your children, family chores, cleaning and dinners. You are going to come out of this victorious, a stronger Women and more determined to spread the word that breast cancer needs to be extinguished from our 21 Century's vocabulary.

Peace, Hope, Love and Strength.

Vicki Sam
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    mollieb said:

Call Back with a List of Questions
    It's tough to take everything in, especially when you are stressed and your doctor is disorganized. I like to get as much information as I can on my own, from the web or books (Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book is great, and there is a new edition less than a year old). ACTH is one of the combinations of chemo drugs they use -- A and C are Adriamycin and Cytoxan; T is Taxol and H is Herceptin (because you are HER positive). Look them up. Adriamycin is a nasty drug, but it does the job, and four treatments of A/C three weeks apart is pretty standard. Then, depending on your particular cancer, they follow up -- in my case with 12 weekly Taxol treatments (I am not HER positive), although sometimes they do Taxol every two or three weeks. Look these drugs up, along with their side effects, so you can be prepared. Write down your questions and make sure someone at your doctor's office answers them. You are entitled to have as much knowledge as you want about your treatment!

Mollieb is so right. They
    Mollieb is so right. They throw so much at us that it is impossible to take it all in. My hubby was always with me and we even took a tape recorder, just incase we felt we weren't taking it all in. And ofcourse, a notebook. lol The doctors used to joke about how much we wrote in it, but, it was so handy to have all of my questions in it.

I will be praying that you will do fine on chemo. Try to take it one day at a time.

Sue :)
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    scared
    You know I didn't mention it before but you should mention to your husband that you are afraid. Kids don't need to know but your husband will help. He is probably scared too but may not want to tell you if you are being strong. There is nothing like having your husbands arms wrapped around you to make you feel like you can do anything!

Cindy

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers next week!
  • fighting4five
    fighting4five Member Posts: 71
    Options
    mamolady said:

scared
    You know I didn't mention it before but you should mention to your husband that you are afraid. Kids don't need to know but your husband will help. He is probably scared too but may not want to tell you if you are being strong. There is nothing like having your husbands arms wrapped around you to make you feel like you can do anything!

Cindy

Thank you Cindy...I have
    Thank you Cindy...I have shared all of my fears with him. He has been amazing through this. He lost his Mother to Breast cancer when he was just about 4 years old,so this has been very hard on him. I try to be strong for him because I know that he feels like this is history kind of repeating itself. He is actually the one that felt the lumps,the next morning he called before I was even out of bed and made the Dr. appointment for me.I am so blessed and thankful to have him in my life.
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options

Thank you Cindy...I have
    Thank you Cindy...I have shared all of my fears with him. He has been amazing through this. He lost his Mother to Breast cancer when he was just about 4 years old,so this has been very hard on him. I try to be strong for him because I know that he feels like this is history kind of repeating itself. He is actually the one that felt the lumps,the next morning he called before I was even out of bed and made the Dr. appointment for me.I am so blessed and thankful to have him in my life.

Wow Mary.. you have one
    Wow Mary.. you have one amazing man there. Together the two of you will get though this no matter how terrifying things seem now. I think by being forced to be the strong one will actually make you the strong one. See girl... you have it within. Keep up the fight...

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

Thank you Cindy...I have

Mary, you do have a
    Mary, you do have a wonderful hubby there! Lean on him when you need strength, and ofcourse, the pink sisters are always here for you too!

HUGS!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Guil said:

Chemo was not part of my
    Chemo was not part of my treatment plan, so, I can't fully understand your feelings. But please know that I will support and encourage you all the way to the finish!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    mamolady said:

scared

Cindy

I will be thinking positive
    I will be thinking positive thoughts for you only and sending some prayers!

Lex
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Thank you Cindy!I think you
    Thank you Cindy!I think you are right,the hardest thing for me will be walking through the door the first time because I do not know what to expect.
    I have already taught my 2 year old to wash his hands and use sanitizer.My other 3 are going to be staying with their Dad. :( My oldest daughter (21) lives just down the road so she will help me as much as she can. She is expecting my first Grandchild! I am very excited about that.Something to look forward! :)
    I hope that you are doing well. It is so nice to have people to talk to that understand what I am going through.
    God Bless
    Mary

You have lots to look
    You have lots to look forward to Mary. A new grandchild, how exciting!

We do understand, so, keep updating us.

Hugs, Debby
  • SueRelays
    SueRelays Member Posts: 485
    Options
    This might have been
    This might have been mentioned further down....but watch Living Proof. It's a documentary starring Harry Connick as the doctor that invented Hereceptin. You'll be glad you're a candidate! I watched it twice so far....once with my boyfriend and once with my daughters. It's an amazing drug!!! Just wish I felt the same about all this chemo floating through me~

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • ReelJiggy
    ReelJiggy Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Mary-
    First of all, you have

Mary-
    First of all, you have to have faith in your doc, if you don't, you need a new one. Make him sit down and explain everything and don't let him go until you UNDERSTAND everything. Nobody will care more about your care and prognosis more than you and the ones who love you, you are in charge of saving you life!
    Did you have an OncoType DX test done? This is a test of the breast tissue, it can tell with relative certainty what the chances of cancer recurrance is. I would imagine your age has everything to do with the agressive treatment. Go for it, all in! NO REGRETS!
    It won't be easy, but nothing worth living for is!
    Take your daughter out to help you find a nice wig, and be picky, there are some really nice ones out there, worth the extra money, your insurance may even pay for it. Do this before your second treatment, because you will need it. I was very upset about losing my hair, I got over it, you will too.
    Get your church, your kids school, neighbors involved. I had meals coming for 4 days after each chemo, now is not the time to be shy. I was the one who helped everyone and anyone who needed it, volunteered up the wa-zoo. I promised myself that I would accept EVERY offer for help! You are up for the fight of your life, the prize is worth it! You can and will win this one.
    I have a good friend who is a cancer consultant, I couldn't have done it without him. If you are interested in talking with him I could message you his phone number via email or FB. I will try and get web site info and post.
    NO REGRETS, NO REGRETS, NO REGRETS! There are no Do-over's in this game.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
  • ReelJiggy
    ReelJiggy Member Posts: 14
    Options
    ReelJiggy said:

Mary-
    First of all, you have

Mary-
    First of all, you have to have faith in your doc, if you don't, you need a new one. Make him sit down and explain everything and don't let him go until you UNDERSTAND everything. Nobody will care more about your care and prognosis more than you and the ones who love you, you are in charge of saving you life!
    Did you have an OncoType DX test done? This is a test of the breast tissue, it can tell with relative certainty what the chances of cancer recurrance is. I would imagine your age has everything to do with the agressive treatment. Go for it, all in! NO REGRETS!
    It won't be easy, but nothing worth living for is!
    Take your daughter out to help you find a nice wig, and be picky, there are some really nice ones out there, worth the extra money, your insurance may even pay for it. Do this before your second treatment, because you will need it. I was very upset about losing my hair, I got over it, you will too.
    Get your church, your kids school, neighbors involved. I had meals coming for 4 days after each chemo, now is not the time to be shy. I was the one who helped everyone and anyone who needed it, volunteered up the wa-zoo. I promised myself that I would accept EVERY offer for help! You are up for the fight of your life, the prize is worth it! You can and will win this one.
    I have a good friend who is a cancer consultant, I couldn't have done it without him. If you are interested in talking with him I could message you his phone number via email or FB. I will try and get web site info and post.
    NO REGRETS, NO REGRETS, NO REGRETS! There are no Do-over's in this game.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

By the way, my 4 rounds of
    By the way, my 4 rounds of chemo were MY choice, NO REGRETS!
    Also, I slept through mine. The pre-meds make you sleepy, (Benedryl)they will have plenty of magazines, take a book. I am sure your husband will want to go with you at least your first time. Mine wanted to go everytime, but I found he was keeping me up!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    SueRelays said:

This might have been
    This might have been mentioned further down....but watch Living Proof. It's a documentary starring Harry Connick as the doctor that invented Hereceptin. You'll be glad you're a candidate! I watched it twice so far....once with my boyfriend and once with my daughters. It's an amazing drug!!! Just wish I felt the same about all this chemo floating through me~

GOOD LUCK!!!

I'm not on Herceptin, but,
    I'm not on Herceptin, but, it is a miracle drug. The movie Living Proof is excellent!

Good luck to you!