Options
2»

Comments

• Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options
    tesa said:

It really makes me mad when
    It really makes me mad when peolple think because my mother is 83 that we should just give up and allow her to go quietly. I get sooo angry. Older people want to live and want agggressive treatment too. What makes people think they don't want to fight for their lives and want all that can be done. life isn't over till its over darn it!!

83 mom
    Tesa

My mom is also 83 and has been going through treatments for almost two years. She is doing better and is tougher about all this than I am. Last week she painted the outside of her house - ALONE.

I think she would beat my butt if I told her she was "older". :>)

Give your mom a hug from an "older" man here in Alabama and wish her our best.
  • Daddisgrl
    Daddisgrl Member Posts: 116
    Options
    tesa said:

It really makes me mad when peolple think because my mother is 83 that we should just give up and allow her to go quietly. I get sooo angry. Older people want to live and want agggressive treatment too. What makes people think they don't want to fight for their lives and want all that can be done. life isn't over till its over darn it!!

It's up to the person. As
    It's up to the person. As long as it is explained to them; age should not matter.
    My dad at 68 was on the old side for treatment; had he been a year older they probably would not have done anything back then

I was on another board; gal posted that her 93 year old gram had breast cancer bad; it was a horrible situation because the surgery was extensive.. the posters mom wanted the surgery / treatment; no one told the gram she could say no. In the end she went along with surgery & had a very hard time. I haven't thought about it in a while; I wonder if she survived.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Daddisgrl said:

It's up to the person. As
    It's up to the person. As long as it is explained to them; age should not matter.
    My dad at 68 was on the old side for treatment; had he been a year older they probably would not have done anything back then

I was on another board; gal posted that her 93 year old gram had breast cancer bad; it was a horrible situation because the surgery was extensive.. the posters mom wanted the surgery / treatment; no one told the gram she could say no. In the end she went along with surgery & had a very hard time. I haven't thought about it in a while; I wonder if she survived.

WOW 68 Too Old
    Not sure where you live that the medical community feels the need to write you off at 68, glad I don't live there.

In todays society, even medically I don't think the general concensus is that 68 is old. People are living longer in this day and age than any time in history....

JG
  • Daddisgrl
    Daddisgrl Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

WOW 68 Too Old
    Not sure where you live that the medical community feels the need to write you off at 68, glad I don't live there.

In todays society, even medically I don't think the general concensus is that 68 is old. People are living longer in this day and age than any time in history....

JG

Its the specific type of
    Its the specific type of cancer he had; AML Leukemia; chemical related. They knew it did not respond well to treatment & at my dads age; the treatment was very hard; killed his healthy heart & lungs. He was fully functioning when he started radical chemo; after he had 28% function left in both. It was the most brutal treatment I've ever seen
  • arndog64
    arndog64 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Daddisgrl said:

Its the specific type of
    Its the specific type of cancer he had; AML Leukemia; chemical related. They knew it did not respond well to treatment & at my dads age; the treatment was very hard; killed his healthy heart & lungs. He was fully functioning when he started radical chemo; after he had 28% function left in both. It was the most brutal treatment I've ever seen

WOW! That is brutal, sorry
    WOW! That is brutal, sorry your family had to go throught that kind of radical treatment.
  • waywest
    waywest Member Posts: 44
    Options
    tesa said:

Older people and treatment
    Hi Tesa,
    I know how you feel, however, it depends on the type of cancer your mom has, her general physical condition and how advanced it is. Sometimes the treatment is much worse than the actual disease. Especially for older people who tend to be less resilient than younger people. My father-in-law insisted on treatment for a very advanced cancer against Dr.s advice. It did nothing but torture him for an entire year and he passed away unable to hold his grandchildren one last time or recognize his family. It did not really buy him any time at all but greatly reduced the quality of the short time he was given so, it really is not always the best route to go. What are your mom's wishes?