Tonsil Cancer

Options
2»

Comments

• fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

oh boy, boss just calls me
    oh boy, boss just calls me and tells me that he cant approve anymore time off for me since im out of vacation time. I will need to work early and stay late on days i have appointments, and/or treatments. I know mama always said "Life aint fair" but come on now, this is getting ridiculous.

your
    your company and your boss suck, plain and simple it is wrong wrong wrong.... they will have to answer to our father above at some point. My company was not good the first time, nor the second as they ended it on the second time.

prayers for you and your girls

john
  • Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options
    The right place
    Heavenleah,

Listen to the advice about the Family Medical Leave Act. If you have cancer then downoad the form, fill in all you can and have your Dr complete the rest, it is your protection for six months. Also check and see if your company has short term and/or long term disability insurance - hope they do and you might want to start filling in the basics now.

After the shock, fear and concern for the family you have to be ready to take care of these things and now is the best time. Get pissed off at the cancer and kick its but!!

I'm a 15 year tonsil cancer survivor and was a single dad when my "mean" cancer showed up. Stay with this crowd....they ain't right in the head but they all have been there and done that and they care about fellow members more than I have ever seen on any other forum
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Greend said:

The right place
    Heavenleah,

Listen to the advice about the Family Medical Leave Act. If you have cancer then downoad the form, fill in all you can and have your Dr complete the rest, it is your protection for six months. Also check and see if your company has short term and/or long term disability insurance - hope they do and you might want to start filling in the basics now.

After the shock, fear and concern for the family you have to be ready to take care of these things and now is the best time. Get pissed off at the cancer and kick its but!!

I'm a 15 year tonsil cancer survivor and was a single dad when my "mean" cancer showed up. Stay with this crowd....they ain't right in the head but they all have been there and done that and they care about fellow members more than I have ever seen on any other forum

I am not sure about the
    I am not sure about the amount of time with FMLA, but I believe it was 90 days of unpaid leave. I was so annoyed before that I forgot to mention that you may like to check out the HNC Superthread, which is a thread on the first page of this board. There I included links to info about ADA and cancer and a few things about 'What If I cannot Work'. I may have the FMLA leave under there as well.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Greend said:

The right place
    Heavenleah,

Time
    Actually it's 12 weeks;

Employees can take up to 12 weeks off during an employer-determined 12-month period, according to the FMLA. Employers can determine the 12-month period through one of the following methods:

•12-month calendar year
    •Any set amount of time that is 12 consecutive months
    •12 months from the start of when an employee’s first FMLA starts
    •A rolling 12-month period measured backward from the date an employee uses FMLA leave

There are also some criteria for being eligible also though;

To qualify for time off through FMLA, employees must be employed for 12 month and a minimum of 1,250 hours. The 12 month period does not have to be consecutive. Employers also must have a minimum of 50 employees working within 75 miles of that particular employee’s work site.

My employer uses the rolling 12-month period, so the end date is always movinf further out in time.

JG
  • Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Time
    Actually it's 12 weeks;

Employees can take up to 12 weeks off during an employer-determined 12-month period, according to the FMLA. Employers can determine the 12-month period through one of the following methods:

•12-month calendar year
    •Any set amount of time that is 12 consecutive months
    •12 months from the start of when an employee’s first FMLA starts
    •A rolling 12-month period measured backward from the date an employee uses FMLA leave

There are also some criteria for being eligible also though;

To qualify for time off through FMLA, employees must be employed for 12 month and a minimum of 1,250 hours. The 12 month period does not have to be consecutive. Employers also must have a minimum of 50 employees working within 75 miles of that particular employee’s work site.

My employer uses the rolling 12-month period, so the end date is always movinf further out in time.

JG

My bad
    I mixed up short term (mine is 6 months) and FMLA. I do know one lady in our company who asked for and received an extension beyond 12 weeks..not sure how she did it. Thanks Skiffin.
  • Skiffin16
    Options
    Greend said:

My bad
    I mixed up short term (mine is 6 months) and FMLA. I do know one lady in our company who asked for and received an extension beyond 12 weeks..not sure how she did it. Thanks Skiffin.

Employers
    My employer is one that worked with me....with it being rolling, they basically told me not to worry that it wouldn't run out.

JG
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Greend said:

The right place
    Heavenleah,

Head
    your right (Greend) I always thought I was not right in the head, then you explained it by posting

Stay with this crowd....they ain't right in the head but they all have been there and done that and they care about fellow members more than I have ever seen on any other forum

may I use this to explain in the future if needed?

thanks for the thought and you are so correct

john
  • Heavenleah
    Heavenleah Member Posts: 31
    Options
    fisrpotpe said:

Head
    your right (Greend) I always thought I was not right in the head, then you explained it by posting

Stay with this crowd....they ain't right in the head but they all have been there and done that and they care about fellow members more than I have ever seen on any other forum

may I use this to explain in the future if needed?

thanks for the thought and you are so correct

john

I spoke with my HR guy
    I spoke with my HR guy today, and he said not to worry, the doc will get me set up with FMLA. They are sending him the forms. Also I know i have STD and I pay extra for LTD on my check as an optional thing. Glad I did that back in the day! The HR guy told me not to worry about my boss, excused or not excused by him, FMLA would secure my job so with all the other stuff I have to worry about right now, my job is not one of them! Thank you all so much for directing me to look into that! What a weight lifted... Thank you all again!
  • Skiffin16
    Options

I spoke with my HR guy
    I spoke with my HR guy today, and he said not to worry, the doc will get me set up with FMLA. They are sending him the forms. Also I know i have STD and I pay extra for LTD on my check as an optional thing. Glad I did that back in the day! The HR guy told me not to worry about my boss, excused or not excused by him, FMLA would secure my job so with all the other stuff I have to worry about right now, my job is not one of them! Thank you all so much for directing me to look into that! What a weight lifted... Thank you all again!

Cool Deal
    You are right, it's bad enough having to deal with this, but to worry about your job just puts more energy into an area that you could be using for battle, healing and recovery.

If you're really lucky the biopsy will come back clean....thoughts & prayers.

Best,
    John
  • Heavenleah
    Heavenleah Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Cool Deal
    You are right, it's bad enough having to deal with this, but to worry about your job just puts more energy into an area that you could be using for battle, healing and recovery.

If you're really lucky the biopsy will come back clean....thoughts & prayers.

Best,
    John

Thank you all. I will keep
    Thank you all. I will keep you updated. They did move the biopsy up from Friday to Thursday, So one less day of wait. Thanks again for the support and prayers from all. I know prayer alone does magical things. Couldnt ask for more.
  • Skiffin16
    Options

Thank you all. I will keep
    Thank you all. I will keep you updated. They did move the biopsy up from Friday to Thursday, So one less day of wait. Thanks again for the support and prayers from all. I know prayer alone does magical things. Couldnt ask for more.

Biopsy
    They should actually be able to tell you at the time of taking the biopsy what the status is.

My ENT told my wife while I was in recovery that it was confirmed STGIII SCC. They did have to send it to another lab and it took a few weeks to confirm that it was HPV+.

Best,
    John
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Heaven
    You are in the right place for help, I don’t have tonsil cancer but here we are all just family and I too welcome you to CSN.

Wishing you the best
    Hondo