Options
2»

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

P.S.
    Here is a link because I just can't help myself:

"Metastatic cancer has the same name and the same type of cancer cells as the original, or primary, cancer. For example, breast cancer that spreads to the lungs and forms a metastatic tumor is metastatic breast cancer, not lung cancer.

Under a microscope, metastatic cancer cells generally look the same as cells of the original cancer. Moreover, metastatic cancer cells and cells of the original cancer usually have some molecular features in common, such as the expression of certain proteins or the presence of specific chromosome changes.

Although some types of metastatic cancer can be cured with current treatments, most cannot. Nevertheless, treatments are available for all patients with metastatic cancer. In general, the primary goal of these treatments is to control the growth of the cancer or to relieve symptoms caused by it. In some cases, metastatic cancer treatments may help prolong life. However, most people who die of cancer die of metastatic disease."
    http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Sites-Types/metastatic

We, however, have no plan to die of this disease! Soldier on!

Have to admit...
    I found this link very depressing.....sorry...
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    MAJW said:

Atta girl!
    Wishing you all the best! Out with the old, in with the new! Hoping the scans are clean....
    Big 'ole hugs to you,
    Nancy

A new word springing from a typo..but I like it!
    My former doctor is now my NONCOLOGIST! :-)
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

OMIGOSH!!!
    (Deep sigh...)

Ah, dear Claudia. I just found this thread. At the beginning, sensed your completely understandable anger and frustration. And here, your fabulously unique sense of humor and creative way with words emerges with "noncologist"!!! So 50-ft. Woman-ish, so Chen-like.

I'll say - vent away, and get rid of the negative stuff. Let it run its natural course. Then, focus all your attention and energy towards this new direction.

THANK GOODNESS you sought a second opinion/new doctor. Thank goodness! I will HOPE with all my heart this new path will bring you back to breathing easier - in many more ways than one.

Love, xo 12/25
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

You changed for a reason
    and while I'm not happy that your cough may be related to breast cancer, I am happy someone is paying attention. I wonder what your noncologist was thinking? You're a breast cancer patient, for goodness sakes! Who the heck knows?

Hope you do get to the bottom of this so you can develop a plan of action. Go get 'em!

Suzanne

Love the new word.
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Options
    Chen
    I am so glad that you are happy with your new oncologist! Your attitude, as always, is just amazing, and I am so thankful that you are on this site to offer encouragement to everyone.
    Hugs, Linda
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    I have active lungs and pleural tumors
    Femara failed me recently after less than 2 years. I hope to restart the drug after a 3 months break from it. I hope it will work. I am not taking any estrogen such as estradiol.

My understanding of AI or hormonal therapy, is that it works better than chemotherapy for women with ER or PR positive breast cancer. When it works, it works.

A PET scan should tell you if your cancer is active or the Tamoxifen is working.

If not, you still have lots of ways of manipulating the hormones.

Coughs can be other conditions, even with pleural involvment. I also changed oncologist when he missed the 3rd time. My new one isn't that great but I understand her better and know the disease and keep up on information. I always make certain that whatever I decide it is my decision and not hers. I believe it is 50-50 deal. Their knowledge and experience and the other half is that I know my body better than anyone else.

Good luck to you.
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    you will stay strong!
    I am so sorry that you are going through this, however just thrilled that you like your new oncologist. That must have been difficult to change after all of those years, but a new, fresh outlook and perspective from your doctor is probably what you need.

I will pray that your cough is something easily treatable.....a side effect of a drug, allergy, etc.

Love, hugs, and prayers,
    Carol
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    lizzie17 said:

you will stay strong!
    I am so sorry that you are going through this, however just thrilled that you like your new oncologist. That must have been difficult to change after all of those years, but a new, fresh outlook and perspective from your doctor is probably what you need.

I will pray that your cough is something easily treatable.....a side effect of a drug, allergy, etc.

Love, hugs, and prayers,
    Carol

NONOncologist ....
    Now thats a good term!

Vicki Sam