OT - ants everywhere

jendrey
jendrey Member Posts: 377
Little black ants just everywhere. Didn't have near this many in previous years. Any ideas on how to get rid of them? I hate using spray cause then I have an even bigger mess to contend with! Thanks!!! =P

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Mix equal parts borax and
    Mix equal parts borax and powdered sugar and put a little pile at the entry point. They will be attracted by the sugar, but the borax will kill them. It might take a couple days, but eventually all the ants in the colony will be gone.

You can also set up boundaries...ants won't cross a thick heavy line of sidewalk chalk and they won't cross a line of coffee grounds (the smell overwhelms them).

I hope this helps.
  • mckevnic
    mckevnic Member Posts: 71
    Boiling water?
    If they're in a place where you can pour boiling water on them, that does the trick. But they also sell something called Terro that they take back to the colony. Works well. You can get it at hardware stores, Home Depot, or Walmart might have it too. Good luck! Ants freak me out!
    Chris
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    baby powder
    We usually use baby powder where they come in. Up until this year, it worked like a charm. This year we have had to put out stakes. Not sure if we just ended up with too many out side or what. My husband doesn't like to kill any bugs. We don't usually put down any type of poison, partly because of my husband and partly because our dogs aren't very smart and lastly because my grand daughter will eat just about anything she is not suppose to.
    Good luck!
    Cindy
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    years ago I used black
    years ago I used black pepper at door jams and window sills....they say the ants wont' cross over pepper...
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377

years ago I used black
    years ago I used black pepper at door jams and window sills....they say the ants wont' cross over pepper...

Thanks all for the great ideas!!! I've been trying pepper for this past week and I must say it's way more effective if you can get the pepper wet. Seems like these ants are getting pepper savvy.

My house was built in 1924 and I can tell you I've spent a small fortune in just caulking alone! It seems like there's a few spots - in the grout at the window and at an old phone jack that they're coming from.

I'm taking a list of all these things with me to Home Depot!
    Thanks again =D
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    jendrey said:

Thanks all for the great ideas!!! I've been trying pepper for this past week and I must say it's way more effective if you can get the pepper wet. Seems like these ants are getting pepper savvy.

My house was built in 1924 and I can tell you I've spent a small fortune in just caulking alone! It seems like there's a few spots - in the grout at the window and at an old phone jack that they're coming from.

Thanks again =D

Ants
    Maybe you have an ants nest somewhere. We had one in the kitchen and were totally infested, 1 x across the kitchen counter into the sink and the next, they were coming out of the cabinets at the seams. We had an exterminator find the nest above the cabinet and he did have to exterminate them. since then, we get a few here and there. Good luck!
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    jendrey said:

Thanks again =D

Ants
    Maybe you have an ants nest somewhere. We had one in the kitchen and were totally infested, 1 x across the kitchen counter into the sink and the next, they were coming out of the cabinets at the seams. We had an exterminator find the nest above the cabinet and he did have to exterminate them. since then, we get a few here and there. Good luck! Cathy
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

years ago I used black

We had ants in the kitchen
    We had ants in the kitchen once, and, my hubby bought a liquid ant killer at the local hardware store. It was called Terro Ant Killer and it contains borax. You just put a little drop on a small piece of cardboard that was in the box and the ants go to it, eat it, then go back to the others and they die. It worked fast!

Hope you can get rid of your ants soon!
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    I see that baby powder has
    I see that baby powder has been mentioned. Baby powder works for me.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    lynn1950 said:

I see that baby powder has
    I see that baby powder has been mentioned. Baby powder works for me.

Baby powder or coffee.

Baby powder or coffee.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    bumped up for Vicki.

bumped up for Vicki.
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Marcia527 said:

bumped up for Vicki.

bumped up for Vicki.

Ugh
    I can't tell you how many times my husband and I have almost divorced over ants! We'd get ants, I'd scream and curse and he'd spray and they'd come back. I tried everything everyone told me to try. Finally about 2 years ago I'd had it and said I was hiring an exterminator. I did and we haven't seen an ant since. Supposedly, what they use is environmentally safe, but who knows.

. . . probably why I got cancer.

I'm currently fighting meal moths and can't find the source. Always something.

Suzanne