thyroid results what does it mean

chinecua424
chinecua424 Member Posts: 1
Theisthmus; is normal in size, also heterogeneous with 0.3 x 0.2 cm module towards the right lobe.

Findings: The thyroid gland is high normal in size. The right lobe measures 4.5 x 1.9 x 1.5cm and the left lobe measures 3.8 x 1.8 x 1.7 cm. there are multiple bilateral cysts and nodules. The larges nodule in the right lobe is a complex mass in the midportion, measuring 0.9 x 0.7 cm, with a cystic component within it and some vascularity. In the left lobe there is a 0.6 x 0.2 cm solid hypoechoic mass in the midportion, with some vascularity within it. There is a second 1.0 x 0.8 cm hypoechoic nodule in superior pole of the left lobe also with some vascularity within it.

Impression: high normal in size thyroid gland with bilateral nodules , the largest in the right lobe measuring 0.9 x 0.7 cm and largest in the left lobe measuring 1.0 x 0.8 cm as above. In the left lobe there is a 0.6 x 0.2 cm solid hypoechoic mass in the midportion, with some vascularity within it. There is a second 1.0 x 0.8 cm hypoechoic nodule in superior pole of the left lobe also with some vascularity within it.

Comments

• sunnyaz
    sunnyaz Member Posts: 582
    Thyroid Results
    I am assuming this is from an Ultra Sound? Here is what I found.

Cut and paste time (Nasher style)

In most modern, developed countries, the dimensions of a normal sized thyroid range from 4 to 4.8 x 1.0 to 1.8 x 0.8 to 1.6 cms but being outside of this range does not automatically imply problems.

Certainly it is fairly apparent that in countries such as Japan, Iceland, the USA and Britain, where there is generally a good daily intake of iodine, most people will have a thyroid on the smaller side of those previously mentioned dimensions. Countries where there is more likely to be an iodine sufficiency tend to have people with larger thyroids. In the areas where there is considered to be sufficient iodine, the thyroid often becomes smaller in the second half of the life cycle; in other places, it will remain more or less the same size.

Men will generally have larger thyroids than women. This could well be a reflection of a correlation between body mass and thyroid size. It is also generally recognised that a woman’s thyroid volume will increase during her pregnancy.

End of cut and paste.

"Vascularity" within the nodules just means that there is blood flow.

I would ask for a biopsy of the nodules if your doctor hasn't already suggested it. If it is one of the thyroid cancer's, go for a complete Thyroidectomy and ask for the tissue to be tested for the B-RAF mutation gene. B-RAF is an onco (cancer) gene that makes cancer more aggressive, harder to treat and with more instance of recurrence. I am finding that a lot of doctors are not yet aware of this recently discovered genetic mutation. Forty-three percent of Thyroid cancer patients are positive for this gene.

Are you have symptoms of Hypothyroidism? What made the doctors decide to look at your thyroid?

Blessings,
    Julie-SunnyAZ
  • nasher
    nasher Member Posts: 505
    sunnyaz said:

Thyroid Results
    I am assuming this is from an Ultra Sound? Here is what I found.

Cut and paste time (Nasher style)

In most modern, developed countries, the dimensions of a normal sized thyroid range from 4 to 4.8 x 1.0 to 1.8 x 0.8 to 1.6 cms but being outside of this range does not automatically imply problems.

Certainly it is fairly apparent that in countries such as Japan, Iceland, the USA and Britain, where there is generally a good daily intake of iodine, most people will have a thyroid on the smaller side of those previously mentioned dimensions. Countries where there is more likely to be an iodine sufficiency tend to have people with larger thyroids. In the areas where there is considered to be sufficient iodine, the thyroid often becomes smaller in the second half of the life cycle; in other places, it will remain more or less the same size.

Men will generally have larger thyroids than women. This could well be a reflection of a correlation between body mass and thyroid size. It is also generally recognised that a woman’s thyroid volume will increase during her pregnancy.

End of cut and paste.

"Vascularity" within the nodules just means that there is blood flow.

I would ask for a biopsy of the nodules if your doctor hasn't already suggested it. If it is one of the thyroid cancer's, go for a complete Thyroidectomy and ask for the tissue to be tested for the B-RAF mutation gene. B-RAF is an onco (cancer) gene that makes cancer more aggressive, harder to treat and with more instance of recurrence. I am finding that a lot of doctors are not yet aware of this recently discovered genetic mutation. Forty-three percent of Thyroid cancer patients are positive for this gene.

Are you have symptoms of Hypothyroidism? What made the doctors decide to look at your thyroid?

Blessings,
    Julie-SunnyAZ

other questions
    Have they tested

TSH + T4 + T3 levels

This can be done with 1 tube of blood

On my lab reports its listed as a thyroid panel

(TSH)Thyrotropin
    (fT4)Thyroxine Free
    (fT3)Triiodothyronine Free

When they do thyroid tests they normally do not check T3 unless you ask

Defiantly ask if they can do a biopsy.
    And Julie is defiantly right ask for a B-RAF mutation check. I thought they had done this on me and they didn’t I am still working with the labs to get the tissue left from my thyroid tested for this.

Ask any question you can think of here and/or to your doctor.

We will do our best to come up with answers or questions or things to talk to your doctor about.

Remember just cause the blood test is normal dosn't mean everything is normal

Back in 2 Dec 2009 my TSH and T4 were normal.

They did not find anything with a FNA in 17 Dec 2009
    26 Jan 2010 my TSH and T4 were still normal but the goiter was large enough it was making it harder to breath.

18 Feb 2010 my prior to surgery TSH and T4 were still normal
    22 Feb 2010 they took out the right side of my thyroid and the goiter they measured the goiter at 7.1 cm in size but told me when i woke up that it did not look cancerous.
    1 Mar 2010 the report makes it to my doctor that it is follicular and papillary cancer.
    5 Mar 2010 2 week follow-up from surgery they tell me you have cancer and are scheduled for surgery on the 9th of mar 2010, but don’t worry its they "Good type" of cancer to have...
    9 mar 2010 they took out the rest of my thyroid did not find any cancer in that part
    5 May 2010 after discussing with the doctors I get 175mCi RAI treatment.
    22 May 2011 I get told my 1 year out scan is a clean scan.
    June 2011 I found out they never tested to see if it was a BRAF mutation or not
    8 July 2011 still waiting for a consult with my Endo to get the tissue they took out checked for BRAF mutation.

Remember you need to take charge of your treatment and make sure you fully understand what the doctors are telling you. I thought I was being proactive but over a year later I found out they didn’t test for BRAF mutation.

There is no stupid question you can ask here worse case it may help one of us who things we are on top of everything figure out something else to check on.

Craig