Mullarian adenosarcoma

Options
I have recently been diagnosed with mullarian adenosarcoma. I had a benign uterine polyp removed 5 years ago Now I have a cancerous polyp coming from the cervix. In doing some research, I found out that the benign polyp could have really been an adenosarcoma but did not show up as that even in the pathology. Now I am dealing with the possibility that I am in fact showing a recurrence of that original polyp and the outcome does not look good. Has anyone out there had anything similar to this?

Comments

• swimmer55
    swimmer55 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Mullerian adenosarcoma diagnosis
    Hi there, I have been recently diagnosed with a uterine adenosarcoma as well. They are trying to deterime were it originated at present. Do you know any information about your original polyp? If there were over 2 mitosis per 10 high power field (HPF) and enlarged stormal cells with benign glands then it is usually a rare sarcoma (this is what I have learned). Do you have overgrowth in the new polyp? These have a tendency to reoccur locally from what I have heard from oncologists but it may be rare that they become worse. Unfortunatley, hysterectomy with ovary preservation is looking like the only known option. Hope this helps...I have done a lot of research as well if you want to talk further. I know how hard this is.
  • HellieC
    HellieC Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Although I don't have the
    Although I don't have the same type of cancer as you (I had adenocarcinoma), I do know how it feels to be faced with a recurrence when you didn't originally have a diagnosis of cancer.
    I had a hysterectomy for atypical hyperplasia 10 years ago - no cancer was found. Then I had a recurrence at the vaginal vaualt 7 years later! Boy - it takes some getting of your head around to face a recurrence of something you never knew you had. But I just gritted my teeth and got on with the treatment - in my case, radiotherapy, which appeared to have done the trick. However, second recurrence found 2.5 years later - just finished 6 cycles of carbo/taxol and currently (knock on wood) NED. So you can get there. NED is just around the corner.
    We're here for you
    Helen
  • rejoice1946
    rejoice1946 Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    swimmer55 said:

Hi there, I have been recently diagnosed with a uterine adenosarcoma as well. They are trying to deterime were it originated at present. Do you know any information about your original polyp? If there were over 2 mitosis per 10 high power field (HPF) and enlarged stormal cells with benign glands then it is usually a rare sarcoma (this is what I have learned). Do you have overgrowth in the new polyp? These have a tendency to reoccur locally from what I have heard from oncologists but it may be rare that they become worse. Unfortunatley, hysterectomy with ovary preservation is looking like the only known option. Hope this helps...I have done a lot of research as well if you want to talk further. I know how hard this is.

Mullarian adenosarcoma
    Just returned home from hospital for a total abdominal hysterectomy. I don't have any of the path reports yet, but my doc thinks I didn't have any invasion and he thought the lymph nodes looked good so he left them in. I was relieved of course with the results of the surgery but am still concerned about recurrence. I will talk with the doc about that at the 6 week appointment.
  • rejoice1946
    Options
    swimmer55 said:

Mullerian adenosarcoma
    It would be interesting to compare treatment options, If any, for this adenosarcoma. My doc thinks I won't need any further treatment, but I remain skeptical. I just don't want to do nothing and then have it show up again somewhere else. Keep in touch.
  • nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    Options
    Food for thought!!!
    Rejoice: I have been dx in 2009. Stage 1A grade 3 MMMT. Had the works done. I find it strange that you had a benign uterine polyp removed 5 years ago. I had a uterine polyp removed sometime in 1990. I don't even remember who the Doctor was. So I don't know if maybe it is the same with me, but that was 21 years ago. Who knows. Anyway please keep us informed about you plans.

june
  • Fayard
    Fayard Member Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    nempark said:

Food for thought!!!
    Rejoice: I have been dx in 2009. Stage 1A grade 3 MMMT. Had the works done. I find it strange that you had a benign uterine polyp removed 5 years ago. I had a uterine polyp removed sometime in 1990. I don't even remember who the Doctor was. So I don't know if maybe it is the same with me, but that was 21 years ago. Who knows. Anyway please keep us informed about you plans.

june

What is the difference?
    How is your cancer different from clear cell carcinoma of the endometrium or carcinosarcoma?
  • california_artist
    california_artist Member Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Fayard said:

What is the difference?
    How is your cancer different from clear cell carcinoma of the endometrium or carcinosarcoma?

Fayard
    Having never heard of this type of cancer, I went on a search. I pasted an excert from a journal paper and the url from the site. I could not explain this as it way over my experience level. There are other sites out there. Using google will give you some basic answers.

…The term “Mullerian adenosarcoma with sarcomatous overgrowth (MASO)” was first used by Clemant and Scully4 in 1989 for those tumours in which a pure sarcoma, similar to or of a higher grade than that of the underlying adenosarcoma accounts for atleast one-quarter of the tumour after thorough histological sampling. Microscopically, these tumours are composed of an intimate admixture of a bland or atypical glandular component and a sarcomatous stromal component along with a pure sarcoma comprising more than 25% of the tumour, the latter may be more poorly differentiated and of higher grade or of the same grade as the sarcomatous stroma of the associated adenosarcoma….
    http://www.ispub.com/journal/the_internet_journal_of_pathology/volume_8_number_1_13/article/mullerian_adenosarcoma_of_the_uterus_with_sarcomatous_overgrowth.html
  • rejoice1946
    Options
    Fayard said:

What is the difference?

what is the difference.
    I am not sure of the difference. I know it is not the "garden variety" endo cancer. Mine is very rare.
  • rejoice1946
    Options
    swimmer55 said:

Mullerian adenosarcoma
    Got my pathology report back yesterday. It seems the sarcoma was contained in the polyp which was removed by d & c. There was nothing else in the uterine after hysterectomy. The path report said, "no residual adenosarcoma". My doc told me he didn't need to see me again for a year, but I insisted on seeing him again in 6 mos. for my own peace of mind. By the way, I give the glory to Jesus Christ, my healer, for the good report.
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options

Mullerian adenosarcoma
    Got my pathology report back yesterday. It seems the sarcoma was contained in the polyp which was removed by d & c. There was nothing else in the uterine after hysterectomy. The path report said, "no residual adenosarcoma". My doc told me he didn't need to see me again for a year, but I insisted on seeing him again in 6 mos. for my own peace of mind. By the way, I give the glory to Jesus Christ, my healer, for the good report.

What great news! May you rejoice and enjoy the news. Spiritual healing in the works!
    I am so happy for you!
  • New_day
    New_day Member Posts: 1
    Options
    swimmer55 said:

Hi,
    i was just diagnosed with

Hi,

i was just diagnosed with this too and am wondering if you have information. I had an lavh BSO and am waiting for path results. I'm interested in recommended follow up as I think they just want to do CT scans every 6 months is all. Thanks