Embarrased but asking

TKMomma
TKMomma Member Posts: 54
Does tamoxafin affect ur sex drive and if it does what can u do to improve it

Comments

• butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    I don't know the answer to
    I don't know the answer to that because I haven't started my tamoxifen yet, but I thought I would add another question to the embarrassing column so you won't feel alone. LOL

Since chemo threw me into menopause it seems everything south of the boarder has dried up. Has anybody else discovered vaginal dryness and what is a good product to use to help this situation? K & Y ??

OMG I can't believe I just threw that out there.. LOL
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member

I don't know the answer to that because I haven't started my tamoxifen yet, but I thought I would add another question to the embarrassing column so you won't feel alone. LOL

Since chemo threw me into menopause it seems everything south of the boarder has dried up. Has anybody else discovered vaginal dryness and what is a good product to use to help this situation? K & Y ??

astroglide!
    Dryness is common. Astroglide is the answer. Trust me on this ;) You can get it at any drugstore ;)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I actually feel more
    I actually feel more inclined but i think i was hormone challenged with an overabundance of estrogen, so I figure withthe decrease....
    Ther was a thread when I first joined about this very subject and many people chimed in I will try to find it.
    You know if someone has a question others do too, just are afraid to say something.
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    carkris said:

I actually feel more
    I actually feel more inclined but i think i was hormone challenged with an overabundance of estrogen, so I figure withthe decrease....
    Ther was a thread when I first joined about this very subject and many people chimed in I will try to find it.
    You know if someone has a question others do too, just are afraid to say something.

Thank you Heather and
    Thank you Heather and carkris for bumping up the old thread. I'll have to look for the astroglide and see how I do.

You gals rock..
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    My experience
    The tamoxifen really increased the lubrication for me and helped in that direction to put it bluntly. Aromasin, an aromatase inhibitor, worked the other way. That makes sense when you consider that tamoxifen is a weak estrogen and estrogen is what makes women what they are. Aromatase inhibitors decrease what estrogens the body makes after the ovaries shut down--a double whammy on lubrication. However, there are plenty of lubricants on the market that can help if needed. If you are still on tamoxifen you need to pick a lubricant that doesn't interfer with your birth control method(something like K-Y jelly, definately not petroleum based if you use condoms). Be aware that fear and moods also decrease lubrication including just the day to day issues that come with dealing with cancer. The tamoxifen was a nice balance to that for me, but it helps to know help is nearby just in case. . .
  • TKMomma
    cabbott said:

My experience
    The tamoxifen really increased the lubrication for me and helped in that direction to put it bluntly. Aromasin, an aromatase inhibitor, worked the other way. That makes sense when you consider that tamoxifen is a weak estrogen and estrogen is what makes women what they are. Aromatase inhibitors decrease what estrogens the body makes after the ovaries shut down--a double whammy on lubrication. However, there are plenty of lubricants on the market that can help if needed. If you are still on tamoxifen you need to pick a lubricant that doesn't interfer with your birth control method(something like K-Y jelly, definately not petroleum based if you use condoms). Be aware that fear and moods also decrease lubrication including just the day to day issues that come with dealing with cancer. The tamoxifen was a nice balance to that for me, but it helps to know help is nearby just in case. . .

Thank u ladies. Start
    Thank u ladies. Start tamoxafin this month so wait and see.
  • Heatherbelle
    TKMomma said:

Thank u ladies. Start
    Thank u ladies. Start tamoxafin this month so wait and see.

I was on tamoxifen for 4 or
    I was on tamoxifen for 4 or 5 months, and the dryness was a side effect that i noticed almost immediately. But with the lubricant it definately wasn't a deterrent - i had my g.i. jane buzzcut growing in & a set of new boobies - there wasn't nothing stopping me ;)
    Good luck on the tamoxifen!
    *hugs*
    heather
  • TKMomma

I was on tamoxifen for 4 or 5 months, and the dryness was a side effect that i noticed almost immediately. But with the lubricant it definately wasn't a deterrent - i had my g.i. jane buzzcut growing in & a set of new boobies - there wasn't nothing stopping me ;)
    *hugs*
    heather

Heather....u go girl.

Heather....u go girl.
  • Heatherbelle
    TKMomma said:

Heather....u go girl.

Heather....u go girl.

ha haa!! ;)

ha haa!! ;)
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Almost 5 years on Tamoxifen....
    And, from my other cancer (rectal), I have permanent damage 'down south' from the rads.

But, as others have already said, I explored and found that the 'personal lubricants' work well, even with the rad damage. Also, if you get stimulated first, before penetration, it helps alot, at least for me! My beau is a 'sissy gynocologist', so he knows what I'm facing, as is very open to let me 'run the show'...

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member

*hugs*
    heather

Heather, you are making me smile, gal!!!
    BIG hugs, Kathi
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    KathiM said:

Almost 5 years on Tamoxifen....
    And, from my other cancer (rectal), I have permanent damage 'down south' from the rads.

But, as others have already said, I explored and found that the 'personal lubricants' work well, even with the rad damage. Also, if you get stimulated first, before penetration, it helps alot, at least for me! My beau is a 'sissy gynocologist', so he knows what I'm facing, as is very open to let me 'run the show'...

Hugs, Kathi

I didn't need chemo or radiation
    I didn't need chemo or radiation but I am taking tamoxifin.I didn't have alot of support after my dx but now get so much(really to much)My husband and I are back to when we first got married.

I heard tamoxifin does cause problems but my husband tells me it isn't working.LOL He feels we have no problems after 42 years of marriage.

This is one of those questions you are "Afraid to ask"and I was afraid to answer till now.

I think I read where some can talk to their doctors about this but I couldn't do that.Good we can talk about it here.

Lynn Smith
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member

I didn't need chemo or radiation but I am taking tamoxifin.I didn't have alot of support after my dx but now get so much(really to much)My husband and I are back to when we first got married.

I heard tamoxifin does cause problems but my husband tells me it isn't working.LOL He feels we have no problems after 42 years of marriage.

This is one of those questions you are "Afraid to ask"and I was afraid to answer till now.

I think I read where some can talk to their doctors about this but I couldn't do that.Good we can talk about it here.

Lynn Smith

I was on taxmifen for almost
    I was on taxmifen for almost 3 yrs...then side effects and had hysterectomy...just going back on tamoxifen this week...for another 2 more years

I hope you find/found your answers here...with replies..

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member

Lynn Smith

I was on taxmifen for almost
    I was on taxmifen for almost 3 yrs...then side effects and had hysterectomy...just going back on tamoxifen this week...for another 2 more years

I hope you find/found your answers here...with replies..

Denise
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I was just 33 when I first
    I was just 33 when I first started taking tamoxifen and my decrease in libido was very apparent to me and my husband. There were times that I felt like a female eunuch.

However, because we both agreed that it could be a life saving therapy (and because I have survived 24 years with Stage 3, now Stage 4, I can say with certainty it WAS life saving), we both thought it best. Communication is key to getting through the tamoxifen years and snuggling helps too!