Tips to ease pain of newly filled expanders??

fighting4five
fighting4five Member Posts: 71
I just got home from PS and getting another 100cc's in each expander and wow am I feeling it. Before my Bilateral mastectomy I was a 32A.I am only 5'5 and weigh 103lbs. I have 350cc expanders and now have 50cc's left to go. I am feeling a lot of pain and preasure in the center of my chest and in my upper back.My chest is so much larger than ever before,I really wasnt expecting this big of a difference in size. Does anyone have any tips to help ease the discomfort without having to take pain meds?

Thank you and God Bless :)
Mary

Comments

• Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    ibuprofen and ice packs!
    Hi Mary :)
    I have 800cc silicone implants, which were overfilled to 900cc before I had my exchange surgery, so I know your pain. I had to take pain meds after the last few expansions. But what helped me the most were ibuprofen (which I took along with vicodin)-the ibuprofen helps with the inflammation, and ice packs. The squishy gel-type ones. The ice packs worked WONDERS with the expansion pain. I was never as relieved as I was when I had those hard expanders removed. Best of luck to you :)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

ibuprofen and ice packs!
    I have 800cc silicone implants, which were overfilled to 900cc before I had my exchange surgery, so I know your pain. I had to take pain meds after the last few expansions. But what helped me the most were ibuprofen (which I took along with vicodin)-the ibuprofen helps with the inflammation, and ice packs. The squishy gel-type ones. The ice packs worked WONDERS with the expansion pain. I was never as relieved as I was when I had those hard expanders removed. Best of luck to you :)
    *hugs*
    Heather

Heatherbelle provided wonderful suggestions ...
    I just wanted to add ... multiple size pillows to help you sleep. Sleeping on my back .. UGH! I just so happened to use pillow for the back of my neck, and to elevate my arms -- otherwise, I would of not slept, at all.

Ibuprofen used 1 hour before each fill up -- and as needed for pain, afterwards.

Good luck.

Vicki Sam
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944

ibuprofen and ice packs!
    *hugs*
    Heather

Hi Mary,
    Hey I am glad to see your surgery went well. I am an odd duck of sorts and have sailed through most of my journey pain free. My expanders never really bothered me and like Heather I have 800 cc's currently inflated. I am currently doing radiation therapy and my left one I am now becoming more aware of. I am not sure if my chest is finally starting to come back to life after my surgery or it's because the skin is shrinking in the radiation field zone. But when I do feel discomfort I take Extra Strength Tylenol it sure helps take the edge off.

How are you and the kids doing?

Hugs,
    Lorrie