Liver Resection / Chemo Afterwards?

Options
lagwag
lagwag Member Posts: 76 Member
My Mom is scheduled for a Liver Resection on the 12th of July. After her 9 rounds of chemo the 2 spots on her liver have shrunk. Dr. said she will be in the hospital 7 - 10 days.

Just a few questions . . .

How long before full recovery? (planning a celebration trip in Feb 2012 - godwilling)

Is chemo typical given after liver resection , if so, how far after surgery and for how long?

Is the recovery from Liver Resection about the same as Colon Resection?

If you want to offer any other feedback, etc. that would be great.

All The Best - Liz

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Hi Liz
    Some tough questions to give exact info for since everyone does differently.
    My best guess is that provided all goes well with the liver surgery (which usually IS what happens) that they would start chemo about 3-4 weeks after the operation. Chemo is typically given after a surgery like that, I would ask up front what the surgeon/oncologist is planning on doing. Most all, if not all, of my cycles of chemo have been 6 month duration. I had my colon resection, liver resection, HAI pump installation all done at the same time so I can't answer the last question. I would think that the liver resection is a bit easier to recover from but that's only my guess.

Feb 2012 is 6 months away. I would think that if all goes well your Mom should be able to go on the trip (as long as it's not an English Pub Crawl where you go to every bar you can crawl to!
    I hope this is of some help, I'm sure other's will have something to add.
    I hope all goes smoothly
    -phil
  • lagwag
    lagwag Member Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Hi Liz
    Some tough questions to give exact info for since everyone does differently.
    My best guess is that provided all goes well with the liver surgery (which usually IS what happens) that they would start chemo about 3-4 weeks after the operation. Chemo is typically given after a surgery like that, I would ask up front what the surgeon/oncologist is planning on doing. Most all, if not all, of my cycles of chemo have been 6 month duration. I had my colon resection, liver resection, HAI pump installation all done at the same time so I can't answer the last question. I would think that the liver resection is a bit easier to recover from but that's only my guess.

Feb 2012 is 6 months away. I would think that if all goes well your Mom should be able to go on the trip (as long as it's not an English Pub Crawl where you go to every bar you can crawl to!
    I hope this is of some help, I'm sure other's will have something to add.
    I hope all goes smoothly
    -phil

Phil -
    Thank you for your

Phil -

Thank you for your response. Unfortunatley my Mom will not be too happy to find out that she has more chemo, but she has done so well so far.

As for Feb. 2012 we will be visiting and relaxing in the Carribean.

Thanks again for your input.

Liz
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    lagwag said:

Phil -
    Thank you for your

Phil -

Thank you for your response. Unfortunatley my Mom will not be too happy to find out that she has more chemo, but she has done so well so far.

As for Feb. 2012 we will be visiting and relaxing in the Carribean.

Thanks again for your input.

Liz

Hi Liz
    Everyone is different so maybe they will not recommend that your Mom does chemo, maybe they will recommend it and she will opt not to do it. There are many possibilities. I just shared what mine was. We do have people here who do surgery then skip chemo and juice and/or try a more nutritional route.
    Sometimes it comes down to what one is comfortable with since there is no sure-fire way to go about this.
    Ah, the Caribbean is nice that time of the year
    (I think it's nice all the time!)
    -phil