What Is Papaya Enzyme? Just an FYI

Nana b
Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
I pop three of these chewable tablets in my mouth each morning and they have really helped me with my acid reflux. Just an FYI on the enzyme.

Papaya enzyme is called papain, a digestive enzyme that helps break down certain types of food in the stomach. Papain dissolves protein tissue when it comes in contact with certain types of meat. Consequently, it's often used in cooking and baking as a meat tenderizer.

Papaya enzyme also has several health benefits. According to WHFoods.com, papain can be used to treat certain types of sports injuries, allergy attacks and may also prevent colon cancer because it improves digestive health.

Uses

Papain is available in supplement form at health food and nutrition stores online and offline, and is commonly used as a digestive aid.

According to Wired.com's Wired Science, papain, the enzyme found in papaya, contains properties that can break down venom and other proteins, thereby protecting our immune systems.

HealthSquare.com lists oral forms of papaya enzyme to relieve digestive problems.

Nutrasanus.com points out that other medicinal uses of papain include preventing cornea scar deformation, treating insect and jellyfish stings, and defibrinating certain types of wounds.

Health Benefits

Papain has a soothing effect on the stomach and helps the stomach break down protein easily. Red meat, fish and certain types of vegetables high in protein can be broken down and absorbed by the stomach readily with the help of a digestive enzyme.

According to WHFoods.com, papaya enzyme also has an anti-inflammatory effect in the body, helping speed up the healing process after a burn or injury.

Read more: What Is Papaya Enzyme? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5155438_papaya-enzyme.html#ixzz1Qb9koZvU

http://www.ehow.com/about_5155438_papaya-enzyme.html

Comments

• westie66
    westie66 Member Posts: 642
    Papaya Enzyme
    Hi Nana: Yes, I took papaya enzyme pills before chemo started. It is highly recommended in The Anti-Cancer Diet book along with turmeric, milk thistle, etc. for gastro things.
    Thanks!
    Cheryl
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    westie66 said:

Papaya Enzyme
    Hi Nana: Yes, I took papaya enzyme pills before chemo started. It is highly recommended in The Anti-Cancer Diet book along with turmeric, milk thistle, etc. for gastro things.
    Thanks!
    Cheryl

Interesting that it breaks
    Interesting that it breaks down some protein....I read somewhere (don't know where of course) that cancer tumors have a tough protein coating...wonder if it would have any effect on this protein too. I'll have to do some reading. Thanks Leena.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    having heaps of papaya in fiji
    dear raquel,

lovelly post i appreciate my tropical diet here even more.

had a great one this evening.

hugs,

peter