first mamo after mastectomy

Options
drea3751
drea3751 Member Posts: 14
I have a question of when to get a mammogram after my mastectomy. It will be one yr from my last mammogram as of july

Comments

• cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    drea
    I had a chest xray (June 2011) one year after my bilateral mastectomy (June 2010). Do you have an appt with your surgeon coming up? My surgeon is the one who sent me for the xray.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • drea3751
    drea3751 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

drea
    I had a chest xray (June 2011) one year after my bilateral mastectomy (June 2010). Do you have an appt with your surgeon coming up? My surgeon is the one who sent me for the xray.
    {{hugs}} Char

xray
    thank you i just called my doctor to find out. THANK YOU. :} they said that the doctor will not order any scans? I have my yr ck up with her 8/31...maybe she knows something i do not know???? hmmmmmmmmmm
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Mammo
    Drea,
    If you still have the other breast, you should have your mammogram. The only concern may be if the incision on the other side is not healed yet. Most doctors don't order a mammo on the side removed, but some may for the armpit area where the lymphnodes are.

Cindy

Side note: is the tattoo new? I want to get a pink ribbon on my ankle, I was going to in 2008 but put it off. (I do mammos for a living and I do alot of BC walks) Since I was diagnosed in october I have decided to go ahead and get one.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    mamolady said:

Mammo
    Drea,
    If you still have the other breast, you should have your mammogram. The only concern may be if the incision on the other side is not healed yet. Most doctors don't order a mammo on the side removed, but some may for the armpit area where the lymphnodes are.

Cindy

Side note: is the tattoo new? I want to get a pink ribbon on my ankle, I was going to in 2008 but put it off. (I do mammos for a living and I do alot of BC walks) Since I was diagnosed in october I have decided to go ahead and get one.

Thank you for bringing this subject up ....
    controversy for sure:

Out here in Southern California -- my Oncologist recommends 'no' yearly mammo's - my history: bilateral, tissue expanders and exchange of saline implants (chemo therapy with no radiation). I will however, insist on yearly MRI/Pet scans to confirm no further invasion of the beast.

I have found out thru research, and reading that I have a 8% chance of getting breast cancer .. again, with the muscle and tissue left after my double mastectomy. Scary stuff.

Bottom line: After care, scans etc ... dependent on type of breast cancer, radiation, chemo performed, as well as lumpectomy versus Mastectomy.

Strength, Courage, Hope and Happiness for all.

Vicki Sam