Port removal

arndog64
arndog64 Member Posts: 537
How long did you have your port in?

Comments

• ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    in July out mid November
    so about 4 1/2 months. I had a neck disection post rads/chemo and the surgeon just took the opputunity to yank it then.
  • timreichhart
    timreichhart Member Posts: 194
    ratface said:

in July out mid November
    so about 4 1/2 months. I had a neck disection post rads/chemo and the surgeon just took the opputunity to yank it then.

about the power port
    I had mine in march and it was out by 2nd week of november of last year.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    LOL...Now That's Funny
    Actually my reply.....

Mine was installed mid January 2009, it's still in.

My Chemo MD likes to keep it in two years. I suppose she means two years post treatment, which was just a week or so ago.

I could actually have it taken out, but haven't yet. The surgeon that installed (and to remove it), prefers to have it done as out patient in a surgical center.

Of course they want money upfront (portion of my out of pocket)... So as I know I have a PET and some other testing coming up. I just haven't rescheduled it...

I do get it flushed every 6 - 8 weeks though.

Best,
    John
  • ian1511
    ian1511 Member Posts: 42
    Skiffin16 said:

LOL...Now That's Funny
    Actually my reply.....

Mine was installed mid January 2009, it's still in.

My Chemo MD likes to keep it in two years. I suppose she means two years post treatment, which was just a week or so ago.

I could actually have it taken out, but haven't yet. The surgeon that installed (and to remove it), prefers to have it done as out patient in a surgical center.

Of course they want money upfront (portion of my out of pocket)... So as I know I have a PET and some other testing coming up. I just haven't rescheduled it...

I do get it flushed every 6 - 8 weeks though.

Best,
    John

6-8 weeks?
    Is that correct, you flush the PEG only every 6-8 weeks? I was told that I needed to flush it once a day, if I don't use it.
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    ian1511 said:

6-8 weeks?
    Is that correct, you flush the PEG only every 6-8 weeks? I was told that I needed to flush it once a day, if I don't use it.

Port - peg - picc. Too many 'Ps' to keep track of!
    No, ian. They are talking about a port used to administer chemo, not the PEG tube. Yes, Peg needs flushed every day. :)
  • ian1511
    ian1511 Member Posts: 42

Port - peg - picc. Too many 'Ps' to keep track of!
    No, ian. They are talking about a port used to administer chemo, not the PEG tube. Yes, Peg needs flushed every day. :)

Cooking Channel Brain
    My bad. I should have read more closely. It's too far out from chemo, so can't claim chemo brain. I'm watching way too much cooking channel.....that's it!
  • Skiffin16
    ian1511 said:

Cooking Channel Brain
    My bad. I should have read more closely. It's too far out from chemo, so can't claim chemo brain. I'm watching way too much cooking channel.....that's it!

Cooking Channel
    No worries...when I only wished I could eat... Iwatched all of those food channels, even DVR the ones I missed....

Then I'd watch them dry drooling my non-existant saliva...

JG
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Skiffin16 said:

Cooking Channel
    No worries...when I only wished I could eat... Iwatched all of those food channels, even DVR the ones I missed....

Then I'd watch them dry drooling my non-existant saliva...

JG

Ian 1511 - Chemo Brain
    Dude, you can claim chemo brain for years! I didn't have it, but I swore I had radiation brain. And honestly, my brain and thinking is not as sharp as it used to be. We won't even talk about my memory.

I was not one to watch cooking shows when I couldn't eat. I just couldn't do it. Even food on commercials made me cry. You know you miss eating and food when Taco Bell & McDs commercials look good and make you cry. I have never eaten Taco Bell, and I've not really eaten McDs since 2006 when I quit working there after 7.5 years. :p ate that stuff every day for all those years.

Now I am back to watching Food Network. :)
  • arndog64

Ian 1511 - Chemo Brain
    Dude, you can claim chemo brain for years! I didn't have it, but I swore I had radiation brain. And honestly, my brain and thinking is not as sharp as it used to be. We won't even talk about my memory.

I was not one to watch cooking shows when I couldn't eat. I just couldn't do it. Even food on commercials made me cry. You know you miss eating and food when Taco Bell & McDs commercials look good and make you cry. I have never eaten Taco Bell, and I've not really eaten McDs since 2006 when I quit working there after 7.5 years. :p ate that stuff every day for all those years.

Now I am back to watching Food Network. :)

I was just wondering. My
    I was just wondering. My friend has breast cancer and she just finished her chemo and still needs radiation next and they removed her port the other day. I just assumed they kept it in until her 3 month follow up, just to make sure the treatments worked. AND yes I know the breakdown of the word assume. LOL
  • Skiffin16
    arndog64 said:

I was just wondering. My
    I was just wondering. My friend has breast cancer and she just finished her chemo and still needs radiation next and they removed her port the other day. I just assumed they kept it in until her 3 month follow up, just to make sure the treatments worked. AND yes I know the breakdown of the word assume. LOL

**** UMP TION
    LOL....

Actually, I "presume", that port removal time frames vary depending on the facility and MD's.

JG
  • arndog64
    Skiffin16 said:

**** UMP TION
    LOL....

Actually, I "presume", that port removal time frames vary depending on the facility and MD's.

JG

yeah, I suppose.

yeah, I suppose.
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    arndog64 said:

yeah, I suppose.

yeah, I suppose.

arndog
    Kept my Port for over a year. Early-on my ENT thought it'd be a good idea to keep it for a few years, but he didn't realize the once/month flushing thing. After my 1-year PS/CT I advised him I wanted it out, and he acted like he had forgotten that he'd once advised me to keep it long term. Main reason for the Port is the 96-hour pump(s), I was told when I started. Once the chemo is done, and test results come back clean- clear to get it removed.

kcass
  • depressed63
    depressed63 Member Posts: 61 Member
    Kent Cass said:

arndog
    Kept my Port for over a year. Early-on my ENT thought it'd be a good idea to keep it for a few years, but he didn't realize the once/month flushing thing. After my 1-year PS/CT I advised him I wanted it out, and he acted like he had forgotten that he'd once advised me to keep it long term. Main reason for the Port is the 96-hour pump(s), I was told when I started. Once the chemo is done, and test results come back clean- clear to get it removed.

kcass

PICC LIne or PORT which is better?
    My husband has the PICC line. Is the PORT different and if so is it better? He's already frustrated with it but he did receive a nice father's day gift....a PICC line cover ordered online so he didn't have to keep wrapping it up in saran wrap and rubber bands. I hope the stomach peg he will need before rads starts doesn't frustrate him even more. He had his second chemo today. We have a long way to go. I would be lost without all of you!

Donna
  • Skiffin16

PICC LIne or PORT which is better?
    My husband has the PICC line. Is the PORT different and if so is it better? He's already frustrated with it but he did receive a nice father's day gift....a PICC line cover ordered online so he didn't have to keep wrapping it up in saran wrap and rubber bands. I hope the stomach peg he will need before rads starts doesn't frustrate him even more. He had his second chemo today. We have a long way to go. I would be lost without all of you!

Donna

PORT
    I'm not familiar with the PICC and what needs to be done....

But from what you have said, I'd much rather have the port. It's under the skin and not exposed. They just stick a pin type of plug into it that has a needle attached to a tube which they can use to either inject into you, or withdrawl from the port like blood samples.

Every 6 - 8 weeks I go in and they plug in to it, run some sterile solutions through it to keep it clean and that is it.

Here's a photo, you can barely see the hump under the skin and the small scar (next to my heart shaped freckle) about 1 1/2" or so... Similar in size to a pace maker...about a quarter or less than a half dollar in size.

PORT

It doesn't or hasn't hendered me at all... I cut the lawn, lift things, fish (big grouper), throw and retrieve about 20#+ of anchor and chain....never a problem.

Best,
    John