New to board

Options
toyfox
toyfox Member Posts: 158 Member
Hi everyone, I am new to the board and am caretaker for my husband. He became a semicolon in February and had 7 out of 12 nodes positive.Our oncologist told us without chemo there was a 60 % chance of the cancer coming back....with chemo it would be 30%. He has had 8 cycles of 5-fu /Oxalipatin. Not to many problems with neuropathy but had a heart problem with the first cycle. Spent 12 hours in ER but no damage to heart. Our oncologist was ready to stop right then, but was willing to continue with calcium blockers and reduced 5-fu dosage. Said if it happened again we were done. No further problems with the heart so far. Our oncologist said he would to stop the Oxi after 9 cycles....is this the norm? We started eating better several years ago and are even more so now....hard core. Wehave a vitamix and buy organic and stay away from processed food.. We think it had made a difference with him having very mild side effects. I lost a 4 year old son from cancer and a 22 year old daughter from a accident, so it has made things even harder to handle. Reading all your posts have been so helpful.

Comments

• christinecarl
    christinecarl Member Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry about your
    I am very sorry about your husband, son, and daughter. Most people I know have at least 12 cycles of chemo, but perhaps your Onc believes the additional chemo is not necessary given the harsh side effects.

Also, God bless caregivers. That is such a hard job, I hope you are doing ok too, and have time to do some things just for yourself. There definitely should be a special place in Heaven for all of our wonderful caregivers.
  • toyfox
    Options

I am very sorry about your
    I am very sorry about your husband, son, and daughter. Most people I know have at least 12 cycles of chemo, but perhaps your Onc believes the additional chemo is not necessary given the harsh side effects.

Also, God bless caregivers. That is such a hard job, I hope you are doing ok too, and have time to do some things just for yourself. There definitely should be a special place in Heaven for all of our wonderful caregivers.

i am very sorry about your
    Thanks for your kind message. Just the oxi will be stopped, four more to go
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    9 doses of Oxy
    Should be plenty. It is not uncommon for that to stop at 9, though for those who deal with it well the common number is 12.

For the purpose of Adjuvant therapy, this should be a good preventative treatment.

Best of health to you and your husband.
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Sorry
    Sorry you had to join this group. Please know that you will find many answers here and lots of support and help. You have been through so much and wish that this hasn't happened again in your life, but come here and express all of your worries and emotions. Wish the best for all of you.

Kim
  • rogina2336
    rogina2336 Member Posts: 188
    Options
    Oxy
    My husband is stage IV, so no surgery thus far. He did have 10 treatments with Oxy then they took that away also he will be having treatment #14 this friday he is doing quite well just some numbness in his finger tips and feet and had thrush once otherwise very minimal side effects. I finally have him eating 3 times a day fairly healthy pretty good for a guy who used to survive on coffee, diet dew, peanut m&m's and sour cream and onion potato chips. Take care of yourself. Kim
  • relaxoutdoors08
    relaxoutdoors08 Member Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Trust your Doctor
    Hi,
    I too was recently diagnosed with Colon Cancer: Sept., 2010. Had surgery and found 5/20 nodes cancerous. The surgeon said I was in the group most likely to reoccur but with chemo and hitting it hard I had a chance. When scanned 3 weeks post surgery found no cancer and when given the choice to do chemo, I chose the option 12 rounds of Folfox. When my blood levels and platelets dropped at Chemo #6, the doctors said no chemo so skipped Chemo #6. I was scared that my body let me down and there went my chance for cure but when I talked to the Chemo Nurse at Chemo # 7 she informed me that 80% of chemo was optimal for effectiveness. Then when my liver function tests rose at Chemo #8, #9, and postponed #10 for one week, the decision was to go 80% on the Folfox for #11, #12 and I was OK with this.

If your doctor feels that he has gotten the Optimal 80% needed and recommends stopping, I would trust your doctor. Post Folfox, I currently have terrible nueropathy from the Oxiplaten, and I am trying to build back my strength, balance and endurance.

Your Onocologist when he said your husband chances were " without chemo there was a 60 % chance of the cancer coming back....with chemo it would be 30%." These chances sound great to me but as he finishes his treatment, the next part is setting up a good Surveillance Plan to prevent reocurrance. Sounds like you are on the right track with your diet. I talked to a 20 year survivor who had 5Fu only and said, she used water, walking and prayer for her plan. I am using anti cancer diet, walking, Tai Chi for mental health and balance and prayer. Currently, I am researching what most people do for cancer tests and a schedule. I go back every 3 months and I have my first 3 month scan post Folfox next week. The information your onocologist told your husband gives me hope.

When you wrote stopping Oxi at #9, would your husband continue 5FU for the 12 rounds or is your onocologist recommending stopping treatment after Round #9?

I thought the norm was 12 rounds of Folfox which includes Oxiplatin but I have been reading online that Oxiplatin has so many side effects, is very expensive and may not be the drug of choice for 12 rounds when factoring in the cost/benefit. What do those who do the research on this board think?

Trust your doctor and ask questions,
    NB
  • toyfox
    Options

Trust your Doctor
    Hi,
    I too was recently diagnosed with Colon Cancer: Sept., 2010. Had surgery and found 5/20 nodes cancerous. The surgeon said I was in the group most likely to reoccur but with chemo and hitting it hard I had a chance. When scanned 3 weeks post surgery found no cancer and when given the choice to do chemo, I chose the option 12 rounds of Folfox. When my blood levels and platelets dropped at Chemo #6, the doctors said no chemo so skipped Chemo #6. I was scared that my body let me down and there went my chance for cure but when I talked to the Chemo Nurse at Chemo # 7 she informed me that 80% of chemo was optimal for effectiveness. Then when my liver function tests rose at Chemo #8, #9, and postponed #10 for one week, the decision was to go 80% on the Folfox for #11, #12 and I was OK with this.

If your doctor feels that he has gotten the Optimal 80% needed and recommends stopping, I would trust your doctor. Post Folfox, I currently have terrible nueropathy from the Oxiplaten, and I am trying to build back my strength, balance and endurance.

Your Onocologist when he said your husband chances were " without chemo there was a 60 % chance of the cancer coming back....with chemo it would be 30%." These chances sound great to me but as he finishes his treatment, the next part is setting up a good Surveillance Plan to prevent reocurrance. Sounds like you are on the right track with your diet. I talked to a 20 year survivor who had 5Fu only and said, she used water, walking and prayer for her plan. I am using anti cancer diet, walking, Tai Chi for mental health and balance and prayer. Currently, I am researching what most people do for cancer tests and a schedule. I go back every 3 months and I have my first 3 month scan post Folfox next week. The information your onocologist told your husband gives me hope.

When you wrote stopping Oxi at #9, would your husband continue 5FU for the 12 rounds or is your onocologist recommending stopping treatment after Round #9?

I thought the norm was 12 rounds of Folfox which includes Oxiplatin but I have been reading online that Oxiplatin has so many side effects, is very expensive and may not be the drug of choice for 12 rounds when factoring in the cost/benefit. What do those who do the research on this board think?

Trust your doctor and ask questions,
    NB

oxaliplatin
    Just the oxi will be stopped, four more to go.
    Thanks for your kind comments
  • here4lfe
    here4lfe Member Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the board
    Sorry you HAVE to be here, but this is one of the best communities for those with CRC. I am a caregiver also since 2009.
    Educate yourself, support your husband how HE wants to be supported, since he's the one who is being treated.
    My wife tolerated 12 doses of OXI, tho at a reduce dosage for the last 3. They can adjust the dosages based on how well the patient tolerates it.
    She is going back on XELOX (Xeloda pills plus Oxi with Avastin) in a few weeks, so we'll keep an eye on how well she does on that.

Hang in there!

Best
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    welcome aboard
    Just post away.
    Hugs,
    Pete
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Hi
    You have so many heartaches to deal with in your life! *hugs* I'm sorry that you and your husband are now going through this cancer mess. It sounds like the two of you are doing a lot of good things to help bring about a very positive outcome!

*hugs*
    Gail