Question for those on (or who had) TC (taxotere/cytoxan)

Options
mlavitt
mlavitt Member Posts: 5
I am in the middle of four rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan (TC). My doctor said that after the four rounds, if I am handling the treatment well, he wants to do two more for a total of 6. The first oncologist I saw said 4 rounds was enough. Apparently, there are studies underway now to determine if the standard treatment should be six rounds and not four.

I am wondering if anyone else has heard this, and if anyone has done 6 rounds of TC.

Thanks,
Michelle (stage 2A, had double mastectomy, going to have radiation after chemo)

Comments

• rhamilton1012
    rhamilton1012 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Yes
    My MO is telling me the same thing. He originally told me 4, but once he got my oncotype score back, he consulted with some collegues. He added Neulasta because my fever went into the danger zone on day 11 and said if I take the 4 cycles well, he will think of adding 2 more. I get #2 tomorrow.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Michelle,
    I don't know if this helps at all, but, before my surgery in 2009, my oncologist told me that 6 rounds of T/C is the "standard," and expected to give me 6 rounds.

It was only after my surgery, where it was found that I had no positive lymph nodes, and chemo was actually optional for me, that I chose to go ahead with chemo anyway, and he "downgraded" it to 4 rounds.

So I think my oncologist's general starting point is 6 rounds if you have positive nodes, 4 rounds if you don't -- though I'm sure there are other factors he considers for each individual patient.

Don't know if that helps at all?

Traci
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Michelle,
    I don't know if this helps at all, but, before my surgery in 2009, my oncologist told me that 6 rounds of T/C is the "standard," and expected to give me 6 rounds.

It was only after my surgery, where it was found that I had no positive lymph nodes, and chemo was actually optional for me, that I chose to go ahead with chemo anyway, and he "downgraded" it to 4 rounds.

So I think my oncologist's general starting point is 6 rounds if you have positive nodes, 4 rounds if you don't -- though I'm sure there are other factors he considers for each individual patient.

Don't know if that helps at all?

Traci

If...
    I had 4 rounds of this...wishing I had had 6...had lumpectomy, no node involvement, clean, clear margins...lthen33 rads ..less than 2 years ago...now it's back...I have wondered at times if it wasn't treated as aggressively as it should have been...will never know...so if 6 were offered I would take it! Extra bit of " insurance"....
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

If...
    I had 4 rounds of this...wishing I had had 6...had lumpectomy, no node involvement, clean, clear margins...lthen33 rads ..less than 2 years ago...now it's back...I have wondered at times if it wasn't treated as aggressively as it should have been...will never know...so if 6 were offered I would take it! Extra bit of " insurance"....

I had only 4
    Six rounds was never even mentioned. I was glad it was over at 4 and hope it was enough. Too late to worry about it now.

Suzanne
  • CAchick
    CAchick Member Posts: 277
    Options
    Four in 2009
    Hi, I had four infusions of taxotere/cytoxan in the fall of 2009. This followed two lumpectomies, and preceded 35 radiation txs. My onc didn't mention six to me. I had no node involvement. Chemo due to high oncotype number...
    Wonder if I should've had six??
    That's my t/c story!
    Sybil
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    I did six rounds of TAC, so
    I did six rounds of TAC, so any combination is possible. I would want to know what differences the onc expects with the 2 additional rounds. Is it just the 'more is better' theory? Or is there something specific about your dx that makes him want to add more?

I hope you're feeling well, and that you continue to tolerate the chemo well.

Hugs,

Linda
  • jewels5
    jewels5 Member Posts: 57
    Options

I did six rounds of TAC, so
    I did six rounds of TAC, so any combination is possible. I would want to know what differences the onc expects with the 2 additional rounds. Is it just the 'more is better' theory? Or is there something specific about your dx that makes him want to add more?

I hope you're feeling well, and that you continue to tolerate the chemo well.

Hugs,

Linda

6 rounds of TAC for me
    I am right in the middle of 6 rounds of TAC (going in for my 4th this morning). I was originally told I would have 4 to 6 *months* of chemo (this was by my surgeon) but now I'm wondering if he meant *rounds*?? my oncologist gave me two options, one was Taxol instead of Taxotere, and that would've been every two weeks instead of three. I know there are many prescriptions, but I would find out more until you are comfortable. I had the first lymph node removed and it was positive. I had two lumpectomies, first to remove and second to clear the margins. It seems many get 4 rounds, but I would still get another opinion. Hugs to you, it's so difficult when things don't seem clear.

Julie
  • lily-anne
    lily-anne Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Question for those on (or who had) TC (taxotere/cytoxan)
    I did 4 rounds. 6 was never mentioned. I just had a lumpectomy, and lymph nodes came back positive (2/2) so if 6 rounds is the newest study, and you can handle it, I would do it. =)
    ~Good Luck!
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    I had four, but would gladly
    I had four, but would gladly go back for two more if it meant a decreased chance of recurrence!
  • BMS
    BMS Member Posts: 127
    Options
    I had 4 rounds of TCH (Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin) and had to stop because of elevate liver enzymes. Was supposed to have 6. Had my lumpectomy and then resumed chemo but with Taxol/Herceptin to finish off those last two treatments. I think 6 is the standard.

Bonnie
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Michelle
    I had bilateral mastectomy June 2010 with no lymph node involvement. My onc recommeded 4 T/C chemo rounds. since I tolerated it well he had me get 2 more. I also had the Neulasta shot the day after each chemo. The radiologist recommended 28 rads too. All went well and now I'm on Arimidex (I'm 62).
    Char
  • SueRelays
    SueRelays Member Posts: 485
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Michelle
    I had bilateral mastectomy June 2010 with no lymph node involvement. My onc recommeded 4 T/C chemo rounds. since I tolerated it well he had me get 2 more. I also had the Neulasta shot the day after each chemo. The radiologist recommended 28 rads too. All went well and now I'm on Arimidex (I'm 62).
    Char

Interesting info!
    I was told

Interesting info!

• renee616
    renee616 Member Posts: 181
    Options
    I had four rounds of A/C
    I had four rounds of A/C then 4 rounds taxol following mastectomy, 2 positive lymph nodes
  • renee616
    renee616 Member Posts: 181
    Options
    jewels5 said:

6 rounds of TAC for me
    I am right in the middle of 6 rounds of TAC (going in for my 4th this morning). I was originally told I would have 4 to 6 *months* of chemo (this was by my surgeon) but now I'm wondering if he meant *rounds*?? my oncologist gave me two options, one was Taxol instead of Taxotere, and that would've been every two weeks instead of three. I know there are many prescriptions, but I would find out more until you are comfortable. I had the first lymph node removed and it was positive. I had two lumpectomies, first to remove and second to clear the margins. It seems many get 4 rounds, but I would still get another opinion. Hugs to you, it's so difficult when things don't seem clear.

Julie

Julie It depends on how far
    Julie It depends on how far apart your chemo treatments are. My Onc said 6 mths which consists of 8 treatments because they were given every three weeks.
  • Brooklynchele
    Brooklynchele Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Stage IIB, no nodes, no radiation, no mastectomy
    When I started my chemo last Fall, my onc told me that I would have EITHER 4 or 6 rounds of T/C depending on how well I did. In reality, I only had 2 because I was unable to tolerate it. My onc said that they are still refining what "protocol" should be and that when he started as an onc 20 years ago, standard treatment was 2 years! He said that over time, they realized so much treatment was not necessary and did not offer more benefit. He also said that as far as they really know, I could have gotten all the benefit I would have after just 1 dose. So there it is. I think what it comes down to and what I've heard since my diagnosis is that depending on where you live depends on what treatment is considered "normal". I've noticed different areas of the country treat the same kind and stage of cancer differently.

Best wishes,
    Michele (lumpectomy, partial mastectomy, sentinel node biopsy, double biopsy of "good" breast)
  • cctiz
    cctiz Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Chemo
    Dear Michelle
    You had a stage 2 and a double mastectomy - definitely you are going to get more benefits of 6 rounds- get them - I had a lumpectomy, LCIS and invasive C w/lobular and ductal features, stage 1, .6cm tumor (very tiny) no nodes involved, oncotype score of 25, originally, my surgeon never mention chemo on my treatments, after surgery oncologyst gave me onother version, then the oncotype came back and they pull me out from my already scheduled rads and gave me 4 rounds of chemo taxotere/citoxan and neulasta - it was doable, nothing terrible, but 4 rounds is the pretty standard number for a small cancer, (1cm or less)it is exhausting but you will make it and at the end proudly will know in your heart it was for the best
    good luck!
    cecilia
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options
    Michelle
    I had bilat. mastectomy with no nodes infected. I also had 4 rounds of TC as you are having. 6 was never mentioned like others have said. I'm thinking in my case they thought 4 was enough and from what I am reading it seems that is the common procedure.
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    Options
    8 of TAC
    Michelle, I was first told 6 infusions.... did 3, had mastectomy, and then onc said 5 more rounds (given every 3 weeks). I was a bit surprised to hear a total of 8, but he said he wanted to be as agressive as possible to insure we could beat this beast. And so, I crawled out of the tunnel after a total of 8 and am glad I did and all is good for now.
    Do whatever it takes! Hugs
  • mrs gadget
    mrs gadget Member Posts: 118
    Options
    I'll take a 6 pack please
    I also had six rounds of TC. My doctor didn't even consider doing 4 rounds and said six is the standard treatment. I came out of it just find and will be celebrating my cancerversary on 07/15
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    jewels5 said:

6 rounds of TAC for me

Julie

Hi Michelle and welcome to
    Hi Michelle and welcome to this great supportive site. I didn't have chemo, but, I saw that you were new and wanted to say hello to you and to wish you good luck with your treatment.

Hugs, Angie