pain and exercise

Options
jphilpo
jphilpo Member Posts: 177
Hi all,

I am almost 2 years in to my "after treatment" life. I started on femara and had terrible side effects. I am now on tamoxifen and trying to deal with it. The side effects are still there, but I am trying to "make do. I gained about 20 lbs and for the past 6 months or so , I have been trying to get my strength back. I used to be able to walk 10,000 steps a day and now I can do 6,000, but it is painful.

I have bone and joint paint and terrible pain in my feet in the morning. After I walk, it is better, but at night that is when the pain is worse. I take a hydrocodone pill at night to help me sleep. Sometimes during the day I take aleve to help.

What do you all do? Everyone says get out there and exercise, but sometimes it is SO DIFFICULT! Femara and tamoxifen have taken their toll on me, but I kepp plugging away!

Any similar stories?

Jean

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps!
    I can't remember if you had your vitamin d level checked? If not, I recommend having it checked for anyone having joint pain. Many of us have abnormally low levels and I am not sure why. Don't try adding more d supplements before checking your level. It is important to take the right amount for you. Any of your docs will order this simple blood test.

Also, if you continue with the pain, ask for a referral to a rheumatologist. We are also at higher risk for autoimmune issues, so you might want to check this out. A good rheumatologist can help you to sort this out. All of us tend to blame everything on our meds and/or cancer, but the truth is that other events may be occurring that need to be checked out: arthritis, aging, etc.

Last but not least, ask for a referral to a Physical Therapist as they can often start you on some gentle joint-lubricating exercises that may help you build up your stamina and get you on the right track.

Good luck!
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!
    I can't remember if you had your vitamin d level checked? If not, I recommend having it checked for anyone having joint pain. Many of us have abnormally low levels and I am not sure why. Don't try adding more d supplements before checking your level. It is important to take the right amount for you. Any of your docs will order this simple blood test.

Also, if you continue with the pain, ask for a referral to a rheumatologist. We are also at higher risk for autoimmune issues, so you might want to check this out. A good rheumatologist can help you to sort this out. All of us tend to blame everything on our meds and/or cancer, but the truth is that other events may be occurring that need to be checked out: arthritis, aging, etc.

Last but not least, ask for a referral to a Physical Therapist as they can often start you on some gentle joint-lubricating exercises that may help you build up your stamina and get you on the right track.

Good luck!

Like others
    Like other said see a doctor for a blood test.I take tamoxifin and the only thing with me is thinning hair(but my hair was thin and fine before).My oncologist does blood tests everytime i go in and so far things must be OK.She never mentions something is off.

Years ago I was dx with osteoporisis(sp)But I have no pain from it.I would never known if the doctor didn't suggest I do a research thing.I was a candidate for bone loss.Small bones, total hysterocomy so he thought it would be good to check.It was over 15 year ago since that.I've had other tests since then.I know the bone loss is there but no one says what the bone loss is.More or less. It is hard to build bone loss back.Once it is gone it is gone,I believe.

I see where so many have bone pain.They go to the doctor for fear it is bone mets.My doctor said with my non invasive cancer I won't get bone mets BUT if I have bone pain I am going to have it checked out.

Hope you make that appt and let us know what is going on.We are all different with side effects but so far tamoxifin is working for me.Just wish my hair wouldn't be thinner.

Lynn Smith
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I had terrible joint pain
    I had terrible joint pain with tamoxifen. Mostly in my knees & hips & hands. I had 7 weeks of physical therapy for my knees & hips, which helped tremendously, and I also had cortisone injections in my hips. I was in so much pain that my pain management doctor had me on percocet twice a day. Now im still achy, but not nearly as bad. Im no longer on tamoxifen (long story, i switched oncologists & found out the tamoxifen was not giving me any benefit) OR percocet -just ibuprofen and ice packs. I would seriously consider seing a pain management doctor who can prescribe physical therapy for you -i had much success with it.
    *hugs*
    heather
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Jean
    I have similar situation. I take Arimidex. I have had osteoarthritis for more than 12 years. My Vit D tends to be on the low normal range and I already take 2,000 IU besides what I get in my calcium pill. I have one sister with osteoporosis. I have lost 3" in height and can't seem to lose weight. Degenerative disc disease in my back is now causing much pain in my lumbar area. I used to be an avid walker (2 mi a day). Now it hurts just to walk around my house. I need to get another caudal epidural soon! I've had so many drs tell me to walk and I'll feel better. Yah, right!
    {{hugs}} Char
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Jean
    I have similar situation. I take Arimidex. I have had osteoarthritis for more than 12 years. My Vit D tends to be on the low normal range and I already take 2,000 IU besides what I get in my calcium pill. I have one sister with osteoporosis. I have lost 3" in height and can't seem to lose weight. Degenerative disc disease in my back is now causing much pain in my lumbar area. I used to be an avid walker (2 mi a day). Now it hurts just to walk around my house. I need to get another caudal epidural soon! I've had so many drs tell me to walk and I'll feel better. Yah, right!
    {{hugs}} Char

Feet...
    If you're having terrible pain in your feet first thing in the mornings and worse at night...consider seeing a Podiatrist...you may have Plantar Fasciitis...especially if the pain seems to be in your heel..I've had this, and I do not take any of the anti- estrogen meds....it is terribly painful...my husband actually has it right now...a Podiatrist can help greatly with this....he told my husband, for now while in the heeling process to wear Crocs...they're ugly but they help!

Wishing you pain free days...
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Options
    Jean & Char
    I am sorry to hear that you are having so much pain. I would like to suggest trying water aerobics if it is available to you. It is a good form of exercise but it is not hard on the joints, etc. I go 3 times a week for 1 hour and it has helped me sooo much. When I started going (before BC) I had a really bad shoulder and could barely lift my arm. It started getting better and then I had to stop going while I did rads. My shoulder got worse again. Since I finished rads and was able to start going again it is almost back to normal. I can actually lift my arm up over my head! I also lost weight!

Hugs,
    Georgia