Need Help

Options
Ericalynn
Ericalynn Member Posts: 200
My 59 year old husband was diagnosed on May 17, 2011, T-3, N-1, M0. He started Chemo/Rad. On June 1, 2011. We meet with surgeon last Thursday; He only does Ivor –Lewis approach. My health insurance (he is insured under me) will not let me go out of network (to Moffit in Tampa). I know we should get a second opinion regarding MIE but I do not think I can afford to pay for the surgery out of pocket. What should I do? My husband does not go on the inter-net and he has no idea the big difference between the surgeries. He is 6’ tall and is weight is 148; his normal weight is always been around 160. He started having such a hard time swallowing (that is what sent him to dr.) He had thrush (diagnosis during endo) and that was causing the pain. They treated thrush with Diflucan but by the time that started to work & the pain subsided from thrush he started having pain from radiation. He is still going to the gym most days and trying very hard to eat, drinking boost or ensure. He still is smoking cigarettes, but says he will quit (I pray that he can). He had a stroke 5 years ago, he had left sided weakness and by going to the gym everyday he has rehabbed himself and most people would not know he had a stroke (you can tell when he is over tired). I am confused as what to do and I am so scared, I do not want him to go through an invasive surgery if he does not need to.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • BMGky
    BMGky Member Posts: 621
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis
    While we on this discussion board do not have all the answers, we do try to be as helpful as possible. I have no personal knowledge but I have heard that some insurances will work with you on receiving medical care out of network. Some insurances are good; others...... You might want to contact your insurance coordinator and have them put you in touch with the proper insurance personnel for how to proceed. You could point out the cost savings and the possibility of a better outcome with your husband's history if he had an MIE. To go out of network from his insurance, my son's treating physician had to write a letter to the insurance company explaining the necessity of his getting outside network care. Shorter hospital stay, shorter surgery, less complications all speak to the non-existent heart of an insurance company because it saves money. Please keep posting to this board and let us know how things are going. There are so many people here who have traveled or are traveling this same journey and have much to offer you. There are differing opinions, but these variances present a full pictures of information and help you make a better decision. Hope you get good news. Let us know.
  • hopper52
    hopper52 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Sorry to Hear
    Sorry to hear of yet another diagnosis. I agree with the last post, maybe check with your insurance company. They may be able to work something out. I am being treated at Moffitt and will be having surgery later this summer. According to my surgeon (Dr Meredith) the hospital stay for MIE surgery is about 5 days. Ivor Lewis is around 10. That may be a benefit your insurance may want to look at.

Also, have you spoke with Moffitt about possible assistance they may be able to provide? I know they are able to get help for people with their meds but other than that I don't know.

Just a couple of thoughts I thought I'd pass along.

Michael Daniels
    Brandon, FL
  • Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • mammers904
    mammers904 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    hopper52 said:

Sorry to Hear
    Sorry to hear of yet another diagnosis. I agree with the last post, maybe check with your insurance company. They may be able to work something out. I am being treated at Moffitt and will be having surgery later this summer. According to my surgeon (Dr Meredith) the hospital stay for MIE surgery is about 5 days. Ivor Lewis is around 10. That may be a benefit your insurance may want to look at.

Also, have you spoke with Moffitt about possible assistance they may be able to provide? I know they are able to get help for people with their meds but other than that I don't know.

Just a couple of thoughts I thought I'd pass along.

Michael Daniels
    Brandon, FL

Meredith- Moffitt
    Dr. Meredith is an amazing surgeon. My father in law was suppose to have surgery this coming Fri., but his stent eroded part of the stomach wall and hit the major artery that runs along the stomach. My father in law had surgery a week and a half earlier, and Meredith saved his life. They didn't know he was bleeding out until Meredith opened his up. Needless to say, the cancer has been removed according to prelim. results. My father in law was up and walking the next day. While Meredith is blunt and to the point, which we appreciate, he is a man who knows what he is doing. We were impressed by him and his staff. Dr. De la Fuentes worked with him and was kind and a comfort to my father in law. Great team at Moffitt, including Dr. Khalduun. Unfort. he was not able to have the robotic surgery as they had to get him in and at that point who cares. :) Great surgeon.

Good luck and best wishes to you.
  • Ericalynn
    Ericalynn Member Posts: 200
    Options

Meredith- Moffitt
    Dr. Meredith is an amazing surgeon. My father in law was suppose to have surgery this coming Fri., but his stent eroded part of the stomach wall and hit the major artery that runs along the stomach. My father in law had surgery a week and a half earlier, and Meredith saved his life. They didn't know he was bleeding out until Meredith opened his up. Needless to say, the cancer has been removed according to prelim. results. My father in law was up and walking the next day. While Meredith is blunt and to the point, which we appreciate, he is a man who knows what he is doing. We were impressed by him and his staff. Dr. De la Fuentes worked with him and was kind and a comfort to my father in law. Great team at Moffitt, including Dr. Khalduun. Unfort. he was not able to have the robotic surgery as they had to get him in and at that point who cares. :) Great surgeon.

Good luck and best wishes to you.

Dr. Meredith
    We meet with Dr. Meredith last Wednesday (& Dr. Dela Fuentes) I believe Dr. Meredith spoke of your Father -in-law of course he did not mention a name but he spoke of a surgery he did the day before that he had to do an open approach due to a stent injury to the patient.
    I was very impressed with him and his team. I am now in the process of requesting out of network coverage (so my husband can go to Moffitt). I will not take no for an answer. I am sure Moffitt (& Dr. Meredith) is the BEST place for my husband. Thank you for posting it reaffirms my determination that Dr. Meredith is the correct surgeon for the job.
  • Gatoraid
    Gatoraid Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Ericalynn said:

Dr. Meredith
    We meet with Dr. Meredith last Wednesday (& Dr. Dela Fuentes) I believe Dr. Meredith spoke of your Father -in-law of course he did not mention a name but he spoke of a surgery he did the day before that he had to do an open approach due to a stent injury to the patient.
    I was very impressed with him and his team. I am now in the process of requesting out of network coverage (so my husband can go to Moffitt). I will not take no for an answer. I am sure Moffitt (& Dr. Meredith) is the BEST place for my husband. Thank you for posting it reaffirms my determination that Dr. Meredith is the correct surgeon for the job.

Don't Give Up
    The differance between Ivor Lewis and the MIE surgery is major. This is complex surgery and with MIE the risks of infection for one are far less. I had MIE in December and was out of the hospital in 6 days. Given your husbands history you certainly would think the insurance company would be flexible. I was a smoker as well and the medical team told me that they wouldn't treat me unless I quit smoking. That day I had my last cigarette. Good luck!