Any advice on a mastectomy bra insert?

Options
poplolly
poplolly Member Posts: 346
When I had my mastectomy at Baylor, I was told I could get a protheses in the store in the hospital. It was around $400.00 and they didn't file on insurance. My insurance would pay 80%, but I would have to come up with the money up front and then file myself to get some back from insurance. I didn't have the $400 at that point so I went to Walmart and bought this pad that I guess small women use to look bigger. It's ok but it's very hard. When my granddaughter hugged me on the right side, she mentioned it. Do any of you know what a good insert would be that would be a little softer? I've seen non-silicone, silicone, silicone get, fiberfill--on the internet. Does anyone have one that you'd recommend???

Judy

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Go to the ACS store and they
    Go to the ACS store and they have fiber filled 'puffs' tht work great till you're ready to get a good one. The local ACS sent me a Care Package after my6 mastectomy and the pfluffy puff' was in it. I used it from late Oct to late Jan before I got my good pros. You really don't want to be in too big of a hurry to get the good one as there will be swelling and as you heal will change.

Susan
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    In addition to Rague's
    In addition to Rague's suggestion, you might look and see if there is a prosthesis fitter in your area that will file with insurance for you. Just google 'mastectomy prosthesis' with the name of your city. From there you should be able to call or email to find out if they can file with your insurance. If you find one, you get the benefit of a being able to try several styles and sizes before deciding what's right for you.

My pros is by amoena, and is the 'Energy Light 2U'. So far, I'm happy with it. The care is easy...just wash and store overnight in the case provided.

You could also call ACS and see if they can help you with the cost of the prosthesis...they reimbursed some money for my wig.

I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Linda

PS...it's a little dishonest, but you could work with a fitter at the store at Baylor to find what you want and then buy elsewhere if you get a better price...or ask if they'll match a price you find elsewhere.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    See a Certified fitter
    It would to me like Baylor should be able to file with the insurance company. I did't deal with insurance - VA called in a purchase order and I went to the Medical Supply place. Tried several pros but had to order in the right one.

There are so many different styles and shapes that just looking in a catalog is not a good idea. Not a good idea for mast. bras either - the fits are so different. I got 2 new ones a short time ago and I tried on probably 25 in different styles and sizes - wound up with an underwire that is a 36C and the other is sort of a sports bra but not really and it's a 36D - both fit great.

My pros is Classic Triangle Lightweight by American Breast Care (www.AmericanBreastCare.com). I have no complaints with it at all but as time goes by we change a bit so next Jan. when I get a new one, my fitter has already said that a different one will be better for me now.

Susan
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Options
    In lieu of professional fitter
    I was and still am too embarrassed to get a professional fitting. I also don't want it to turn out like my wig fiasco which left me paying $300 for a wig because my insurance didn't cover it after I was told by the store that it would. So, to get back on-topic, I started out with the foam filled breast forms but even the weighted one migrated up to my neck. I finally settled on a bra with an extra wide stretch band at the bottom and a Silique breast form. You might want to check out jodee.com for mastectomy bras and Truekare.com for breast forms. I hope you find something somewhere that you can be comfortable with.

HUGS!!!
    Jamie
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Different idea
    I really like my silicone prosthesis that I got from a professional fitter at a breast "boutique". They knew what shape my other breast was and what weight would hang right. It seems to last pretty well and the only reason I have gotten another over the years was weight gain that shifted me to another size (me bad!).

However, I have a lot of older friends that have found various ways around buying a prosthesis. The batting filled "pillows" work very well every time I have surgery and some use those all the time. One friend of mine is built very small. She goes to the Victoria Secret store for a "push-up bra" and uses the silicone part as her prosthesis. I'm not sure if that is the same as what you found. Her's is more like my soft silicone prosthesis: sort of swishy and natural feeling. I am a 34 B and too large for her solution. Swimming protheses are hollow on the back. They give a natural curve to clothes but they are not as heavy as a solid prothesis. Careful if you hug because they do push in! But they are also considerably cheaper and they work both in the pool and on land. Another friend of mine pinned shoulder pads inside her bra so her clothes would hang right. It was light weight and cheap. other folks saved money going to the cancer society for a prothesis.

Personally, I don't see how an insurance company could get by without providing 100% for aprotheses to women after a mastectomy. It's like telling a leg amputee that they will pay for the leg and the knee but forget about the foot if they only cover part of the breast prothesis.
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    In addition to the good
    In addition to the good advice you got here, there is another website, breastcancer.org, that has its own forum for women who choose no reconstruction post-mastectomy called Breast Prostheses and Reconstruction Alternatives. There are quite a few women on there, one even has another website she made.You may try there and see what those women have to say, too.
  • lafera12
    lafera12 Member Posts: 63
    Options

In addition to the good
    In addition to the good advice you got here, there is another website, breastcancer.org, that has its own forum for women who choose no reconstruction post-mastectomy called Breast Prostheses and Reconstruction Alternatives. There are quite a few women on there, one even has another website she made.You may try there and see what those women have to say, too.

Mastectomy bra inserts
    I have to do the same thing, pay up front for my pros., then send all
    the paperwork to my insurance company. They then send me a check.
    Check tlcdirect.org
    They have all kinds of mastectomy products ie: bras, prosth., camis, etc.
    Hope this helps
    Angie
  • mollieb
    mollieb Member Posts: 148
    Options
    I Recommend a Fitting
    I got the best-fitting bra I have had in my life, as well as a silicone prosthesis, from the boutique located in the University of Chicago Hospital (not my hospital, but they sent me there because my own hospital doesn't have a boutique). I am told that people bumping into me can't tell which one is fake. It feels comfortable and looks natural. Worth the effort.