Antidepressant for terminal patients

Options
jojoshort
jojoshort Member Posts: 230 Member
Anyone have some experience here? My counselor tells me that most terminal patients are often on anti-depressants. I've noticed my own husband becoming more withdrawn, although that could be his struggle with breathing issues, too. Since time is dear I so want him to find some joy in the days we have. I want to ask his cancer doc again (the first time, the doc asked my husband if he still found pleasure in things and at that point he did, so no presciption then.) Things are different now but I'd sure like to hear what others have found. Thanks.
Jo-Ann

Comments

• TRK411
    TRK411 Member Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Jo-Ann,
    I come to you

Hi Jo-Ann,
    I come to you speaking as a psychologist, and not necessarily as someone who has experience with the use of these drugs with terminally ill patients. Several things that you should know about the use of these drugs is that commonly prescribed antidepressants, such as SSRI's, require several weeks for the medication to build up in the body before you will actually see a clinical response. More importantly, a lot of these drugs can have some significant side effects, such as nausea, insomnia, headaches, etc. Although they may not seem significant to a normal person, a terminally ill patient may be in such pain that this medication will simply exacerbate existing issues. Another important risk is that some patients experience an increase in suicidal ideation while on antidepressants. Again, the impacts of these suicidal thoughts on terminally ill patients requires much consideration.

Ultimately, the choice to medicate is left to the family and medical team. I can certainly see how antidepressants could be beneficial in a terminally ill patient, but they also carry risks. Hope this helps.

Tom
  • hobbssy
    hobbssy Member Posts: 16
    Options
    TRK411 said:

Hi Jo-Ann,
    I come to you

Hi Jo-Ann,
    I come to you speaking as a psychologist, and not necessarily as someone who has experience with the use of these drugs with terminally ill patients. Several things that you should know about the use of these drugs is that commonly prescribed antidepressants, such as SSRI's, require several weeks for the medication to build up in the body before you will actually see a clinical response. More importantly, a lot of these drugs can have some significant side effects, such as nausea, insomnia, headaches, etc. Although they may not seem significant to a normal person, a terminally ill patient may be in such pain that this medication will simply exacerbate existing issues. Another important risk is that some patients experience an increase in suicidal ideation while on antidepressants. Again, the impacts of these suicidal thoughts on terminally ill patients requires much consideration.

Ultimately, the choice to medicate is left to the family and medical team. I can certainly see how antidepressants could be beneficial in a terminally ill patient, but they also carry risks. Hope this helps.

Tom

Anti-depressants
    Hi Jo-Ann: My husband started on an anti-depressant 2 months before he passed. I saw no difference in him whether on the medication or off. I did find that ativan helped him with periods of anxiousness. I am including a link that talks about social withdrawal. The website is Canadian Virtual Hospice and if you get a chance to peruse the site, I am sure you will find it very helpful.
    http://www.virtualhospice.ca/en_US/Main+Site+Navigation/Home/Support/Support/Asked+and+Answered/When+Death+Is+Near/Is+it+common+for+people+who+are+dying+to+withdraw+from+family_.aspx
    Patti
  • Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • nancyann3
    nancyann3 Member Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi Jo
    Seems like we may be walking down the same road at the same time. Steve was put on a antidepressant after his surgery. I have to say I didn't see a difference, BUT what works for one may not work for another. Anything is worth a try to help our sweeties feel better. I buy my sweetie pillows all the time, hoping it will make him feel better.....lol. Cant walk down the ile of any store and look at things trying to find ANYTHING that will help in some small way.

Take care
    Nancy
  • Unknown
    Options
    nancyann3 said:

Hi Jo
    Seems like we may be walking down the same road at the same time. Steve was put on a antidepressant after his surgery. I have to say I didn't see a difference, BUT what works for one may not work for another. Anything is worth a try to help our sweeties feel better. I buy my sweetie pillows all the time, hoping it will make him feel better.....lol. Cant walk down the ile of any store and look at things trying to find ANYTHING that will help in some small way.

Take care
    Nancy

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • jojoshort
    Options
    TRK411 said:

Hi Jo-Ann,
    I come to you

Hi Jo-Ann,

Tom

Thanks, Tom
    I had completely forgotten about those black box warnings and didn't even know about the side effects.
    "Much consideration" indeed.
    Jo-Ann
  • jojoshort
    Options
    nancyann3 said:

Hi Jo

Take care
    Nancy

Hi Nancy
    I know just what you mean about trying to find anything to help out. Thanks for the feedback on your Steve.
    Jo-Ann