Options
2»

Comments

• Hq18
    Hq18 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    fasu1948 said:

No dry mouth
    I don't have dry mouth at anytime. THere is saliva in my mouth 24/7, most of the time too much and sometimes thick. I also do get the mucus which I cough up at night a lot too.

I have this issue as well!
    I have this issue as well! I find myself alot of times having to spit more often because how fast it does produce and how thick it feels. Have you had any solutions to this? I have not heard anything as of yet and this has been adding to my fustration. Thanks!
  • fasu1948
    fasu1948 Member Posts: 22
    Options

It would depend on why you
    It would depend on why you cannot swallow, the course of action you should take. You need to know if you cannot swallow because you are swollen, or have radiation damage, or like me a stricture, or if it's the muscles or swallowing mechanism itself. If you can swallow pudding, that is a good sign. Keep trying to get as much liquids down and things like pudding or yogurt so you keep the muscles working. I agree, you are not that far out out treatment yet, so you are just now getting to the healing part.

Do you have magic swizzle or magic mouthwash to swish and swallow before meal times, as well as your 24 hr meds? Magic Swizzle can take some of the pain away so you may be able to swallow with out as much pain.

Have you tried the L-Glutamine? It will help you heal faster, and help with the burning.

If you still cannot seem to swallow you can see about a swallowing study. They will have you swallow stuff with barium on it and watch it go down to see if something is blocked. Swallowing exercises are a good idea. Cannot hurt. Keep stuff working.

I have had to be stretched three times. I still have issues with swallowing. My dinner took me over two hours tonight, but I managed chicken and roasted potatoes, which is a great challenge for me!

I started last year with things like bananas, avocados, poached egg (hot runny yolk), pureed veg like carrots, thick cream soups (and not canned processed crap from a can, it should be made with fresh veggies), very cooked oatmeal, smoothies, shakes (thicker liquids are often easier to swallow than thinner) try and give your mouth and throat time to heal, and don't push it too much. Believe me I know you are impatient. Not eating 9 months at all, and having my peg tube for 18 months was the greatest lesson in patience in my whole of 43 years. It prepared me patience wise to keep living with my 87 year old crazy and senile grandmother.

I've stopped praying for patience because I realized God will just kept testing me to make sure I learn it. Lol

Inspiring
    Wow. Your info is inspiring. Thank you for it. Tell me, is that L-Glutimine prescription or over the counter and how do you take it?
  • fasu1948
    fasu1948 Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Hq18 said:

I have this issue as well!
    I have this issue as well! I find myself alot of times having to spit more often because how fast it does produce and how thick it feels. Have you had any solutions to this? I have not heard anything as of yet and this has been adding to my fustration. Thanks!

Look under Excessive Saliva subject
    THere are things people have tried with some levels of success. Read in that Subject heading.
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    fasu1948 said:

Inspiring
    Wow. Your info is inspiring. Thank you for it. Tell me, is that L-Glutimine prescription or over the counter and how do you take it?

Glad to try and help.
    The

Glad to try and help.

The L-Glutamine is not perscription. I purchase mine at a vitamin / suppliment store called GNC. I have also seen it in a health foods store. It's in a loose powder form. You put a heaping tsp in an 8 oz glass of water and swish and swallow. I also put a heaping tsp into my smoothie before blending.

It can also be ordered on line.

If you look on the HNC Superthead, on the first page of this board, there is more info on LGlutamine if you want to read about it.