reaction during chemo

Options
Yesterday during my usual chemo session I became very cold (suddenly) and even with several warm blankets on me started shaking more or less without stop for quite a while. the nurses immediately stopped my treatment (I was receiving Oxaliplatin ,sorry about spelling ) at the time ,the Dr.suggested I was having a reaction to it and that the rest of my treatment for this week to be stopped , my temp climbed a bit as well ...I had received this same chemo treatment for the past year (21 treatments )without any adverse effects during treatment usually feeling better when I left the office than when I arrived, does this seem familiar to anyone out there, similar effects while relieving Oxaliplatin ?

Comments

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It didn't for me
    But then I've only had the Oxy 14 times or so, not 21 like you, it got so I could walk out of there just like I hadn't had a chemo treatment and rather energetic, started to come home and start cleaning (must of been the steroids) so I think my treatment with the oxy lack of adverse effects sounds like yours. It could be a reaction, heck I don't know, I hadn't had one, but then again I didn't do 21 treatments. ARe they going to try it again next week or in 3 weeks?
    Thinking of you,
    Winter Marie
  • emtwoods
    emtwoods Member Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oxy
    My husband just had #2 on Friday and is shaking, sweating, vomiting. I just don't know what to do for him.
  • herdizziness
    Options
    emtwoods said:

Oxy
    My husband just had #2 on Friday and is shaking, sweating, vomiting. I just don't know what to do for him.

Call the Onc
    Actually call the ER, I've never had that reaction and I don't think it's normal. I would suggest calling the ER IMMEDIATELY. Not to scare you, but hey, shaking, sweating, vomiting, I think a call to the ER right away isn't a bad idea, they'll tell you to come in, or let you know at least what they think, doesn't hurt a thing to call and ask or even just to go in.
    Winter Marie
  • emtwoods
    Options

Call the Onc
    Actually call the ER, I've never had that reaction and I don't think it's normal. I would suggest calling the ER IMMEDIATELY. Not to scare you, but hey, shaking, sweating, vomiting, I think a call to the ER right away isn't a bad idea, they'll tell you to come in, or let you know at least what they think, doesn't hurt a thing to call and ask or even just to go in.
    Winter Marie

Winter
    He did the same thing last time also. The shaking is only when he feels cold he has hot and cold flashes. The sweating is pretty constant, the vomiting last time started on Saturday and ended Sunday when they stoped the infusion. This is just his second round, we told them about the reaction last time and they switched him from phenergan to zolfran but we don't have prescription coverage and the Zolfran was 130 per tablet so he is using the phenergan again.
  • herdizziness
    Options
    emtwoods said:

Winter
    He did the same thing last time also. The shaking is only when he feels cold he has hot and cold flashes. The sweating is pretty constant, the vomiting last time started on Saturday and ended Sunday when they stoped the infusion. This is just his second round, we told them about the reaction last time and they switched him from phenergan to zolfran but we don't have prescription coverage and the Zolfran was 130 per tablet so he is using the phenergan again.

Man
    I tell you, this prescription coverage have and have not just plain is w r o n g. What did the onc say about his symptoms?
    Winter marie
  • emtwoods
    Options

Man
    I tell you, this prescription coverage have and have not just plain is w r o n g. What did the onc say about his symptoms?
    Winter marie

Coverage
    His situation is even more agrivating because he is a 100% service conected combat disabled veteran!! He was exposed to Sarin gas in the first Gulf War. The way it works is his family, me and his 3 children all get ChampVA coverage which is the same as retired military and we have prescription coverage. However, he is expected to use the VA system for his medical needs. I went back to work in in 1997 after he was granted disability for the sole reason to get medical coverage for him so he would not have to use the VA. I always carried the "Family" plan just to cover him and the rest of us had double coverage. This year the family plan was 1/2 my paycheck so I had to "opt" out and they give me a $2500 FSA card. We figured that would pay for any prescriptions and co pays he had. Then the cancer came and instead of taking him to the VA since they take over a month to get an apointment. We requested the apointment but we went and saw an onocologist on his Medicare instead. By the time he had his first apointment with the VA he had already had 3 surgeries, and his first round of chemo!!!! His first diagnoisis was Mother's Day. He is Stage 4, has had colon resection they took 12 lymp nodes all positive with mets to the live. He just finally saw the VA onocologist this week. So our choice is continue with Medicare at 80/20 with no prescription. Or go to the VA for free an hour away and hope to get as good treatment. I find it insane that Medicare patients get better treatment than disabled veterans. It is what it is, I guess.
  • emtwoods
    Options

Man
    Winter marie

Coverage
    His situation is even more agrivating because he is a 100% service conected combat disabled veteran!! He was exposed to Sarin gas in the first Gulf War. The way it works is his family, me and his 3 children all get ChampVA coverage which is the same as retired military and we have prescription coverage. However, he is expected to use the VA system for his medical needs. I went back to work in in 1997 after he was granted disability for the sole reason to get medical coverage for him so he would not have to use the VA. I always carried the "Family" plan just to cover him and the rest of us had double coverage. This year the family plan was 1/2 my paycheck so I had to "opt" out and they give me a $2500 FSA card. We figured that would pay for any prescriptions and co pays he had. Then the cancer came and instead of taking him to the VA since they take over a month to get an apointment. We requested the apointment but we went and saw an onocologist on his Medicare instead. By the time he had his first apointment with the VA he had already had 3 surgeries, and his first round of chemo!!!! His first diagnoisis was Mother's Day. He is Stage 4, has had colon resection they took 12 lymp nodes all positive with mets to the live. He just finally saw the VA onocologist this week. So our choice is continue with Medicare at 80/20 with no prescription. Or go to the VA for free an hour away and hope to get as good treatment. I find it insane that Medicare patients get better treatment than disabled veterans. It is what it is, I guess.
  • emtwoods
    Options

Man
    Winter marie

Coverage
  • emtwoods
    Options
    emtwoods said:

Coverage

Oh and the onocologist said
    Oh and the onocologist said that he has to try to get through this chemo because they really don't want to put him on anything that isn't as strong right now. So they are tring to manage the side effects the best they can. My worry is they haven't even added that other drug Avastin yet because his surgery was so recent.