side effect of chemo

Options
mwarren
mwarren Member Posts: 20
Has anyone ever heard of lymphoma as a side effect of chemo? I was told today by a surgeon (the same group that did my initial surgery), that it has been shown to be a side effect. When I asked why no one bothered to tell me, the answer was, "If we told you everything (all possible) side effects, it would take years." I am having surgery on Monday for a large (size of a walnut) lymph node removal and biopsy. Mind you, this is in a totally different area!! I am sooooo angry!! I feel like screaming, crying, and hitting something or someone!!

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Never heard this...
    But it can be a side effect of radiation...did you have rads....? May I ask where this walnut size tumor is located? I just found out I have a recurrence of bc...I discovered a small egg size tumor right above my clavicle, three weeks ago...it was biopsied , showing recurrence but will not be removed...

I understand your anger...been there done that! So go ahead and scream, rant and cry! You're entitled! Please keep us updated...
    Wishing you the best....
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Lymphoma or Lymphedema?
    I hven't read anything about lymphoma being caused by chemo but lymphedema - yes.
  • mwarren
    Options
    Rague said:

Lymphoma or Lymphedema?
    I hven't read anything about lymphoma being caused by chemo but lymphedema - yes.

chemo side-effect
    Lymphoma!!
  • mwarren
    Options
    MAJW said:

Never heard this...
    But it can be a side effect of radiation...did you have rads....? May I ask where this walnut size tumor is located? I just found out I have a recurrence of bc...I discovered a small egg size tumor right above my clavicle, three weeks ago...it was biopsied , showing recurrence but will not be removed...

I understand your anger...been there done that! So go ahead and scream, rant and cry! You're entitled! Please keep us updated...
    Wishing you the best....

chemo side-effect
    The first cancer was breast cancer. If this is cancer, it is in the node in my groin area. My doctor told me the CT result was only the one node enlarged, but the surgeon said "no, there are several". Guess I am more scared cause this has been very speedy. Discovered the lump last Saturday, doctor on Tuesday, full body CT on Wednesday and the surgeon on Friday. When he said that this is a possible side effect of the chemo, I was really, really angry!! He did say that this would not be related to the breast cancer, this would be totally new and a result of the chemo. Not sure I can wait til Wednesday or Thursday to get results.
  • mwarren
    Options
    mwarren said:

chemo side-effect
    The first cancer was breast cancer. If this is cancer, it is in the node in my groin area. My doctor told me the CT result was only the one node enlarged, but the surgeon said "no, there are several". Guess I am more scared cause this has been very speedy. Discovered the lump last Saturday, doctor on Tuesday, full body CT on Wednesday and the surgeon on Friday. When he said that this is a possible side effect of the chemo, I was really, really angry!! He did say that this would not be related to the breast cancer, this would be totally new and a result of the chemo. Not sure I can wait til Wednesday or Thursday to get results.

chemo side-effect
    Yes, I did have rads. There were 5 day a week treatments for 9 weeks.
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    mwarren said:

chemo side-effect
    Lymphoma!!

Hope you get the all clear
    Both lymphoma and leukemia are cancers that can be caused by cancer treatments (either chemo or radiation or both). As people are living longer after treatments, "they're" learning more and more about the late effects.
    Like Chickadee says, it's the gift that keeps on giving (not).

Here's hoping everything turns out ok.

Suzanne