feeding tube---a question

Marianne313
Marianne313 Member Posts: 124
Hello all,

My cousin had a feeding tube put in this past Wednesday, and basically I'm just wondering if that's a "death sentence" or if it's just one more ray of hope for him. I saw him this past Sunday and although he's only 50, he looked 80 (easy) and although he was a tall husky built man, he is now of skeletal frame with skin. I just don't know what to think anymore.

Marianne

Comments

• nancyann3
    nancyann3 Member Posts: 173 Member
    Feeding tube is good
    Feeding tube is a good thing. It is supportive care. He can use it to eat or drink. It will help him to feel better.

It doesn't mean a death sentence. He can use it if he is having trouble eating by mouth and it can stand idle if he doesn't need it.

Take care
    Nancy
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Marianne313
    Marianne313 Member Posts: 124
    thank you both
    I was worried. I'm not his caregiver. I am his cousin and I am the caregiver to his mom who has stage 4 colon cancer. She asks me questions about his health but it's difficult to get answers from his wife. This will reassure my aunt and hopefull alleviate some of her stress.

Thank you both so very much for your information.

Marianne
  • kateel
    kateel Member Posts: 28
    Thank the Lord for my husbands feeding tube!
    A feeding tube is a wonderful support system for my husband. Don't think of a feeding tube as a negative thing for your cousin. It really is a lifeline in my opinion. You will soon see all of the benefits from using it.

Hang in there,

Kateel
  • cher76
    cher76 Member Posts: 292
    My husband also has a PFG
    My husband also has a PFG (percutaneous fluoroscopic gastrostomy)feeding tube. He has had it about 6 weeks and is doing well. He is still able to eat somewhat by mouth and so he only uses the tube to supplement his diet. He has lost over 120 lbs and we were hoping that the tube would help him regain a little weight or at least keep him from losing any more. So far he is maintaining; his weight fluctuates a few pounds here and there. Hope your cousin is doing well with his feeding tube.
    Cheryl
  • Will Brady
    Will Brady Member Posts: 7
    J Tubes
    When it the hospital, there are always nursing staff around who can assist if the contents of the tube slow entry to the point of clogging. I have seen a young inexperienced doc fail to recognize this problem and seasoned nurses who can resolve the matter quickly.

If you are going home with a tube, and will be doing feedings at home, you need to either know how to do an unclogging procedure yourself, and/or be able to contact someone else who can do it for you, and can get it done quickly.

As for the pumps driving the fluids through the tube (whether it is liquid nutrition or some medication that can be taken in liquid form) I believe the electrical driving pump is far preferable to the gravity feed method. It is far more efficient at regulating the flow to what is comfortable to the recipient, and a digital readout much easier at monitoring than a toggle wheel on a tube that feeds from the raised bag
  • J Tubes
    When it the hospital, there are always nursing staff around who can assist if the contents of the tube slow entry to the point of clogging. I have seen a young inexperienced doc fail to recognize this problem and seasoned nurses who can resolve the matter quickly.

If you are going home with a tube, and will be doing feedings at home, you need to either know how to do an unclogging procedure yourself, and/or be able to contact someone else who can do it for you, and can get it done quickly.

As for the pumps driving the fluids through the tube (whether it is liquid nutrition or some medication that can be taken in liquid form) I believe the electrical driving pump is far preferable to the gravity feed method. It is far more efficient at regulating the flow to what is comfortable to the recipient, and a digital readout much easier at monitoring than a toggle wheel on a tube that feeds from the raised bag

This comment has been removed by the Moderator