Stupid question I'm sure

Marianne313
Marianne313 Member Posts: 124
but, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I have a cold, sneezing, runny nose, had a sore throat yesterday but that's gone today. Should I stay away from my Aunt who has colon cancer due to the cold or is it only severe colds, flu, etc that effect cancer patients?

thanks in advance,
Marianne

Comments

• taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    No such thing
    No such thing as a stupid question!

Opinions will vary on this. I've had friends who have stayed away from me (I'm the cancer pt) when they have a cold or any other illness. And I appreciate their loving concern. BUT, if you wash your hands carefully before you see her, and don't kiss her (!) then probably OK. Do you know how her blood counts are (white blood cell, immune system in general)? If not critically low, then probably OK? Personally, l love to see my loved ones! It's the best 'medicine'! I've survived years of chemo (on and off) in a household of snotty nosed kids....I just make sure they wash their hands obsessively!

Tara
  • Marianne313
    Marianne313 Member Posts: 124
    taraHK said:

No such thing
    No such thing as a stupid question!

Opinions will vary on this. I've had friends who have stayed away from me (I'm the cancer pt) when they have a cold or any other illness. And I appreciate their loving concern. BUT, if you wash your hands carefully before you see her, and don't kiss her (!) then probably OK. Do you know how her blood counts are (white blood cell, immune system in general)? If not critically low, then probably OK? Personally, l love to see my loved ones! It's the best 'medicine'! I've survived years of chemo (on and off) in a household of snotty nosed kids....I just make sure they wash their hands obsessively!

Tara

germs
    Thank you Tara,

I really love spending time with her, I just do not want to make her sick. Maybe I'll give it one more day and go up early a.m. tomorrow. Although, I'm 1/2 way there when I leave from here (work).

I don't know her blood counts yet, mainly because she has only had 1 chemo treatment and we plan on getting a copy of the blood reports on her next visit which is the 7th of July.

Again, I SO appreciate your input. I know I worry so much about everything. I want to know everything and anything about cancer that I can know.

Thank you,
    Marianne